ARECA ARC-1300IX-16 SAS HBA PCI-E 4x 16 Port Non-Raid Controller

BuBBa

Limp Gawd
So I recieved a little package from the delivery faries today. Was really looking forward to getting my hands on this card as I have no need for hardware raid, but I do like high port densities. As it does not have any hardware raid functionality, it's cost less than 1/3 for a similar card with raid functionality. Chubby.

3619352549_c4f96aa2b3_b.jpg

Card came with 4 minisas -> sata breakout cables, low profile slot, manual, and driver disk.

3620177994_ee1967b556_b.jpg

The cables are ~ 32inches long with around 10inches of cable after the "split", so should be more than long enough to get anywhere in any case.

3619356167_201099a563_b.jpg

I'll be installing the card shortly (just in the middle of a huge copy on my WHS) and will report back as to how well it's working.

Product Page / Tech Specs

Last edited:
Where did you buy it?

I am looking at getting one of those, as I am short on Expansion slots on my WHS and would be nice to just use one HBA.
That way i could free up another slot for Folding or another Tuner card.

Last edited:
Where did you buy it?

I am looking at getting one of those, as I am short on Expansion slots on my WHS and would be nice to just use one HBA.
That way i could free up another slot for Folding or another Tuner card.

I picked it up from NCIX Canada. ~$450 CDN

Ok, so I've got all the drives connected now, haven't booted it up yet, but the only complaint I have so far is that the inboard ports (9-16) are close enough to the edge ports that the minisas connectors don't go in very easily. I don't have any drives connected to those ports yet, but I have connected the minisas cables to the ports because of how anoying it will be to connect them later with the card on the board.

Great success.

Had to disable INT 13, as first reboot after driver load OS load hung on the initial loadie-progressbar-scrolly-screen, but all drives connected are showing up.

A++ would buy again.

Now back to recovering data from the last 4 hd's after my borked install that shit on the MFT's for all my data drives.

The issue with this card is for me it costs too much.

I can get two of the Supermicro 8 port SAS cards for half that price.

But if you don't want multiple cards or don't have the slots this seems like the best option.

It worked out to be ~$80 more expensive for me than the supermicro cards, but it only taking 1 slot was worth it to me.

You must have gotten a heck of a deal.

ARECA came with the minisas -> sata cables, Supermicro does not. Pickings are slim in Canada for getting cables in a reasonable amount of time (for a reasonable amount of money I might add).

Last edited:
The issue with this card is for me it costs too much.

I can get two of the Supermicro 8 port SAS cards for half that price.

While I agree that it is a bit pricey, I think you might have missed that it isn't merely a 16-port card, but rather a 16-internal 8-external card. So, yes, 2 for half price, but to match functionality you'd need 3 cards and an internal-to-external passthrough (8088->8087). So, for 75% of the cost, that's 3 PCI-e slots and 4 rear slots used, versus this card's 1. And this one comes with connectors, which aren't necessarily cheap or readily available.

This card is sick for density. It also has Solaris drivers, so you can throw together a nice RAIDZ2 system without much issue.

OP - Great buy and thanks for the report. I've been thinking about picking one of these up for my next storage upgrade as well. Hearing good things moves me closer.

While I agree that it is a bit pricey, I think you might have missed that it isn't merely a 16-port card, but rather a 16-internal 8-external card. So, yes, 2 for half price, but to match functionality you'd need 3 cards and an internal-to-external passthrough (8088->8087). So, for 75% of the cost, that's 3 PCI-e slots and 4 rear slots used, versus this card's 1. And this one comes with connectors, which aren't necessarily cheap or readily available.

This card is sick for density. It also has Solaris drivers, so you can throw together a nice RAIDZ2 system without much issue.

OP - Great buy and thanks for the report. I've been thinking about picking one of these up for my next storage upgrade as well. Hearing good things moves me closer.

Also this card can address up to 244 (or something like that) devices through the use of SAS expanders...

Sub'd. Looking for something like this for a WHS. Don't need RAID.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'm curious - I see that the card actually has 24 ports, 8 external, 16 internal. Can you actually use all 24 at the same time? The manual is a little unclear. Or can you only use 16 in any configuration?

I'm curious - I see that the card actually has 24 ports, 8 external, 16 internal. Can you actually use all 24 at the same time? The manual is a little unclear. Or can you only use 16 in any configuration?

If the external ports work at the same time you could get cables to go from the outside to the inside.

Then it would so oh so worth that price to me.

currently you can pricematch this card for 364$ CAD or 325$ on NCIX, just take 19% off the price and its automatically discounts it without have to be approved before hand.

currently you can pricematch this card for 364$ CAD or 325$ on NCIX, just take 19% off the price and its automatically discounts it without have to be approved before hand.

hahahahahahahaha

damnit, wish i'd tried that when i ordered it...

Back