Post your Phenom II and Sempron unlock or failed unlock results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
Updated on 9-20-09 from post #301

If anyone has anything they'd like to contribute to this thread, PM me with the info you have that you think would fit in here and I'll see you get proper credit :)

AM3 Sempron unlocks are now being included. Scroll down below the Phenom II unlocks for the new section.

Please post whether or not you actually got cores to unlock and if they were stable/unstable or whether they did not unlock at all. Also post how many cores you were able to unlock to.

Please include your mobo and bios revision

BEFORE YOU SET ACC ( Advanced Clock Calibration ) TO AUTO AND TRY TO UNLOCK YOUR CPU DO THE FOLLOWING:

#1. Turn off Cool N Quiet
#2. Boost your vcore by .05v
#3. Do not touch your CPU's multiplier or try to OC/tweak your system in any way, shape, form or fashion
#4. Be prepared to lose the ability to monitor your CPU temps per core as in most cases this happens when a CPU is unlocked
#5. Be prepared for the reality that you are not guaranteed an unlockable CPU no matter what motherboard, bios or CPU stepping you have

If you have not tried the above tips do not post your results untill you do.

Just because you unlock your CPU does not change the fact its trying to use the VID for an X2 or X3, your stock voltage will not change when you unlock your CPU which means your system tries to power a 125w CPU with the same vcore used for an 80 - 95w CPU. Also Cool N Quiet follows the same rules and tries to use reduced VID's for X2 and X3 CPU's and not your newly acquired X4.

Once you get your new X4 to boot into windows you can go into the bios and slowly lower your vcore untill you find the min voltage you can use and still be stable but it seems some otherwise sucessful unlocks are being reported as fails because people do not compensate for the extra power thier CPU is now trying to take in or you can start your OverClocking endeavors in which case the extra .05v isn't going to hurt anything :)

===RESULTS===

Phenom II 550:

Failed to unlock: 5
Batch #'s: 0921FPMW ,

Unlocked to 3 cores: 0
Batch #'s:

Unlocked to 4 cores: 23
Batch #'s: 0922mpmw, 0922apmw, 0925BPAW

Phenom II 710:

Failed to unlock: 0
Batch #'s:

Unlocked to 4 cores: 7
Batch #'s:

Phenom II 720:

Failed to unlock: 5
Batch #'s:

Unlocked to 4 cores: 20
Batch #'s:

Motherboard/Bios known to unlock: If any of my fellow [H] members wouldn't mind helping out with this section by sending me a PM of any mobo/bios combo you can find that is known to unlock PII's you would be doing me and all of us a huge favour :)

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785D-M PRO
Bios: 405,

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo
Bios: 0603,

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo
Bios: 0403,

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-T
Bios:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
Bios: 1602 ,

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78t-E
Bios: 2105,

Motherboard: Biostar TA790GX A2+
Bios: 78DBA113 ,

Motherboard: Biostar TA790GX 128M
Bios: 78DEA113 , 78DBA114 ( This is a mod'd bios by Rebels Haven )

Motherboard: DFI LanParty DK 790GX-M2RS
Bios: R7DG225A ( beta bios ) ,

Motherboard:DFI LanParty DK 790FXB-M2RSH
Bios: R7SD820A,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Bios: F1 , F3a , F3

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Bios: F5 , F5a ,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
Bios: F3k ,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
Bios: F2c , F2

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Bios: rev 2.0 ,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Bios: F4g ,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA780XT-UD4P
Bios: F4g ,

Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
Bios: 1.5b1 ,

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45
Bios: 1.4b1

Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E65
Bios: 2.2

Motherboard:
Bios:

===AM3 SEMPRON Unlocks=== Added by request of DTN107

Sempron 140:

Failed to unlock: 0
Batch #'s:

Unlocked to Dual core: 2
Batch #'s: 0932gpmw

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Bios:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Bios: F5,

Motherboard:
Bios:

Last edited:
Would also be good to state the batch # the CPU is from and what motherboard.

I'll be trying a X3 720BE (0904 batch) on Monday or Tuesday with a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P.

I have a Phenom 2 710 which unlocked to 4 cores. The mobo is the biostar tforce board that came with the combo.

I have an X3 720BE (0904), I wasn't able to unlock it because my motherboard is an Asus M4A79 Deluxe and it doesn't work with even the first revision bios. There's a hacked bios somewhere out there that supports it but it's based off an old bios and I didn't want to bother.

I have an X3 720BE (0904), I wasn't able to unlock it because my motherboard is an Asus M4A79 Deluxe and it doesn't work with even the first revision bios. There's a hacked bios somewhere out there that supports it but it's based off an old bios and I didn't want to bother.

I think that there is a difference between a fail unlock and a fail at attempting to unlock the CPU. The first one is when you were able to unlock it but it is not stable and the second one is when you are not able to unlock it at all.

tried to unlock a phenom ii 550 for my dad, but i couldn't get it. this was on a biostar ta790gx xe. forgot the bios revision, but i got it to boot, but i couldn't get it stable for the life of me, even with only three cores.

Only made a single attempt on ASUS M4A79T Deluxe stock BIOS with my X3 720 and could not get the 4th core to unlock. No biggie, but technically a failure. Havent tried updating the BIOS or anything, nor do I really care if I get the 4th core or not.

4th core unlocked X3 710 on a Biostar TA790GX A2+. CPU-Z says Bios 080014 Dated 1/13/09. Pretty sure its from batch 0904, but I'm not 100% positive.

Only made a single attempt on ASUS M4A79T Deluxe stock BIOS with my X3 720 and could not get the 4th core to unlock. No biggie, but technically a failure. Havent tried updating the BIOS or anything, nor do I really care if I get the 4th core or not.

Did you unlock the core and it is unstable or you couldn't unlock it?

550 @ Quad with M4A79 bios 1602, Stable -Yes( BIOS 1602 is right from ASUS site)

Last edited:
^
Nice HondaGuy.

I was a bit surprise to see 1.4V but then I realize you had the ASUS M4A79.

3 Phenom II 720's

All 3 unlocks, all 3 are 0904 (forget more direct info, but it's here somewhere, posted it before. I think 2 CPMW's and one EPMW?)

2 unlock perfect, stable up to 3.4 so far. Need better cooling to get higher. (c'mon corsair H50!) Last 720 not stable at even stock speeds.

All 3 on Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H mobo's.

Runs on all four just great!

99887207.jpg

Keep the results coming guys, I'd like to keep this thread rolling for a few months till this topic isn't as relevant.

Just sold my old stuff so now I'm debating whether to get a PII 550 and hope for the best or get a PII 710 or wait a week while using my backup Sempy 3000+ and get a PII 720.

So far it looks like the PII 720's have the best luck.

Last edited:
Keep the results coming guys, I'd like to keep this thread rolling for a few months till this topic isn't as relevant.

Just sold my old stuff so now I'm debating whether to get a PII 550 and hope for the best or get a PII 710 or wait a week while using my backup Sempy 3000+ and get a PII 720.

So far it looks like the PII 720's have the best luck.

why not just grab a used 940 for cheap on the fs/ft forums? no risk involved, and it's only $20 or so more expensive than a 720 after tax and shipping.

920 is 140 shipped off newegg right now with a promo code.

Last edited:
720 unlocks to 3700mhz,,
550 unlocks too 4150mhz+ , The Chip does more im just memory limited @ this monent to run 4200mhz 24/7

A 940 is nice ,,but these 550's are well something else

Ive have a Older 720 and a nice new 550 ,, both unlock. The 550 is the best bang for the Buck ATM and half the cost of a new 940 ,, even if it dosnt unlock. Its Almost 100% garenteed to clock (4.gig on X2cores) They even clcok 3.6/3.8 with stock Vcore.

Ive been saving for a 955 and saisd screw it a few weeks ago. Grabbed a 550 day of release and recieved it the week after and couldnt be happier.

My 24/7 clocks after two days of tweaking on a UD4P DDr2:D

X4_550BEAST_UD4P_156volt_4104mhzNB2.jpg

720 Clocked @ 3900mhz+@X3core to my X550 @ 4100+ X4cores.
The 720 would only do 3700mhz in X4mode so X3cores was faster for its clock speed.
The 550 is just simple and well performs @stock and unlocked@4100mhz+ with 2800mhz+ Nb.

X4_550BEAST_UD4P_152volt_4128mhz3Dm.jpg

Most of the 550's ive seen ALL UNLOCK .
The ones that had a non supporting/unlocking Mobo had failed to unlock ,They were ususlly on the Wrong Mobo or the Bios was NOT good enuff .

I Have tested many 550's for friends now . Its funny when i unlock them. While they say oh its a dud, just because they couldnt get them to unlock on thier hardware. I Either did a Bios Flash for them or i unlocked it with my UD4P. I told them what they needed to do, and most just wound up get a Mobo that correctly supports a Bios that is made to tweak them;)

For most of my friends and thier friends it was a matter of using the Newest Gigabyte/Asus/Biostar Bios to have 550 sweetness @ x4corefun

By far these X2 550's thing, pays out 100%better than most slot machines. ,,.

P.S. Hondaguy and I have same stepping and can reach the Same Clocks:D.. I just researched the Mobo i wanted to use and slapped it in,flashed New Bios and never turned back lol.

Last edited:
I have an X3 720, i was able to unlock to 4 cores, but was unable to run at the 3.5 i am running as just an X3

I have another 720 i may try laer to see how that one does

it was a matter of using the Newest Gigabyte/Asus/Biostar Bios

QFT, i have an asus m4a79 deluxe and was only able to do this with the latest 1602 bios

My powersupply has finally come in. Been itching to try to unlock my X3 720BE but summer session classes are murder and time consuming :(.

I wonder if I would be able to unlock anything with my JR 790GX-M2RS :( If the board supports it, I would love to give it a shot. It is not like the 550s cost an arm and a leg.

Dang, nice OC on that unlocked 550 @_@. Is that air or wc?

Get my PII 720 today so gonna try to unlock the 4th core with my DFI LP DK 790GX-M2RS

Dang, either I got a bum 720 or the DFI LP DK 790GX-M2RS with bios R7GD422 can't unlock yet :-/

My PII 720 stepping: CACZC AC 0905FPMW

Tried ACC in bios as AUTO, ALL Cores and Per Core all with no luck :'( Maybe I shoulda got the PII 550 unless its a mobo issue.

Oh well, onto the OverClocking :)

Keep the results coming guys and don't forget to tell your friends and family to post thier results too ;)

Last edited:
I got my Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P board to unlock the AMD X3 720BE 4th core (batch 0904)! It had the F1 bios (the original bios) but wouldn't unlock the 4th core. When I updated the bios to the F2C (latest bios) there was a new feature involve with the ACC. I change the ACC to hybrid mode and auto and the 4th core just simply unlock without any trouble!

With the 1st bios the south bridge would report as SB700. With the latest bios it report as SB750 even though it is really a SB710 but whatever. It WORKS!

Forgot to send the other screenshots to my other PC but I have OC it to 3.8GHz at 1.4V stable. At 3.9GHz it doesn't boot into windows. I guess I need to up the volts even more. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

P.S. I wonder why my unlock quad's code name is Heka (X3 705e code name) while everyone else is still Deneb?

Last edited:
I even enabled the advanced bios options to see if DFI was hiding the real ACC that was keeping me from unlocking my 720 but that was chasing a ghost :(

And yes I'm running the latest bios which is 2 months old :-/ Nothing for beta bios atm either so eh.

===EDIT===

K, the proc must have a bad 4th core cause I dropped it in a Biostar 790GX XE with latest bios, set ACC to AUTO and the thing locked up during boot. The DFI must have some kinda protection fault thingy to keep a bad 4th core from being unlocked, eh oh well I guess :(

===EDIT 2===

Just went thru all of the bios for the DFI LanParty DK 790GX-M2RS and this chip will not unlock at all on this mobo :( I even tried every combination of ACC settings while leaving all other bios settings at default AUTO.

Last edited:
I wonder how many successful unlocks there are on your DFI board Hard and Confused.

Also where did you buy your CPU? I bought mine from newegg about a week ago.

Last edited:
Wow, I want a 550 Black Edition now! With the spare parts I have laying around, I could a system for around 250. That sounds delicious!

I even enabled the advanced bios options to see if DFI was hiding the real ACC that was keeping me from unlocking my 720 but that was chasing a ghost :(

And yes I'm running the latest bios which is 2 months old :-/ Nothing for beta bios atm either so eh.

===EDIT===

K, the proc must have a bad 4th core cause I dropped it in a Biostar 790GX XE with latest bios, set ACC to AUTO and the thing locked up during boot. The DFI must have some kinda protection fault thingy to keep a bad 4th core from being unlocked, eh oh well I guess :(

I think I can help you bro. Reading the DFI forums has me believing that the more recent BIOS have this feature disabled as per AMD's request. Upon further reading it would seem you need to downgrade, not upgrade your BIOS, to older Beta ones. Which ones? I do not know myself since they are being real vague about it. If you have the time to burn why not try working backwards one BIOS at a time?

Mine Phenom X3 720 fails spectacularly to unlock. The computer just reboots and reboots, never getting to the POST, until the BIOS wises up and resets the setting.

edit, i'll post my bios revision next time i'm at the office, but i'm pretty sure it's the first one gigabyte released to enable bios unlocking

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many successful unlocks there are on your DFI board Hard and Confused.

Also where did you buy your CPU? I bought mine from newegg about a week ago.

Got my CPU from NewEgg too, crappy CACZC AC 0905FPMW =.=

I KILL YOU AMD FOR YOUR CLEVER MARKETING PLOY OF INTENTIONALLY ALOWING UNLOCKING ON EARLY CHIPS TO START A BUYING FRENZY !!!! CURSE YOU !!!! *shakes fist* And yet its AMD laughing all the way to the bank :( They could have at least bought me a beer before they raped me :(

Mine Phenom X3 720 fails spectacularly to unlock. The computer just reboots and reboots, never getting to the POST, until the BIOS wises up and resets the setting.

edit, i'll post my bios revision next time i'm at the office, but i'm pretty sure it's the first one gigabyte released to enable bios unlocking

Yea. My first bios didn't work either.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3003#anchor_os

It seems there is a few bios update for your board.

If you want to compare to my bios updates. Click here.

As you can see there is only two bios for my board and the 2nd (latest one) says "Update ACC code and CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.3.2.4 code for Phenom X3 CPU)". Perhaps update your bios to the latest one and change your ACC to hybrid and auto and you might have some better luck. It seems the hybrid mode is a key factor for the gigabyte board.

Got my CPU from NewEgg too, crappy CACZC AC 0905FPMW =.=

I KILL YOU AMD FOR YOUR CLEVER MARKETING PLOY OF INTENTIONALLY ALOWING UNLOCKING ON EARLY CHIPS TO START A BUYING FRENZY !!!! CURSE YOU !!!! *shakes fist* And yet its AMD laughing all the way to the bank :( They could have at least bought me a beer before they raped me :(

I'm trying to find that thread from another forum seeing how many successful people with batch 0905 were able to unlock the 4th core. Hopefully they did have some luck.

It seems two people with a batch 0906 was able to unlock accord to this forum.

And a small list on X2 550BE.

Last edited:
Need to watch out on the new BIOS..... AMD had the board makers change it so people couldn't unlock the fourth core through the ACC.

I checked the latest BIOS for my board and they made it so I couldn't unlock so I'm sticking with the old BIOS so I can. :)

Hmm, I believe the board you have does allow you to unlock all the cores. I'm not sure, but it may be possible that your X3 has a faulty 4th core. It's been known to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back