Samsung Omnia feedback requested

SiliconValley

Limp Gawd
I am in the market for a new phone for Verizon. I want a good web browser, email (exchange for work, yahoo for personal) and decent text messaging capabilities. I am looking at the Omnnia. It seems to have a good browser, looks sleek and does email well (from what I can tell). However, the text messaging might be a problem since it only has a virtual QWERTY keyboard.

I'm looking for feedback from those that have this phone, have used it or have heard any feedback (good or bad). I'm also open to other suggestions if you think something might be better. I know blackberrys are supposd to be great but they just seem kind of blah to me, although I'm still considering one. Also, I just saw that the Omnia 2 was announced for Verizon but there is no timetable for when it will be released. If it's coming out soon, I would likely wait but I don't want to wait several months. Thanks!

For web browsing and shit, i haven t seen a better interface than iPhone...
Has virtual QWERTY tho ...

U can try SE Xperia X1 which is pretty good

The Omnia is an exceptional product as windows phones go. If you do not need a phone that has nearly all the capabilities of a laptop then go the multimedia route like an Envy Touch. You will get an html browser , email and a real keyboard along with a virtual one.

Just my .02 cents

I've been with Vzw for a long while now. I've also been using ppc/smartphones/et al for nearly a decade. I also have similar uses and qualifiers as yourself. I currently own a samsung i760, and though it was a great phone when it was announced, it wasn't but 6 months later that I was already doubting it's longevity. My contract is up in 3 months, soo..

I'm currently looking at the Omnia Pro (Lourve/B7610) and the HTC Touch Pro2. Both have physical QWERTY keyboards, and both have rather large capacitive screens that are pretty-decent for touch accuracy. Both phones also have pretty cool shells over WinMo 6.1 (and both will be upgradeable to 6.5). However, only the TP2's specs are offical, so there may be some changes or things we don't yet know about the Omnia Pro.

Here's a few interesting contrasts:
The Omnia Pro has a 5.1mp camera, with auto focus and flash. While the TP2 just has a 3.2 mp.

The TP2 has a standard tft capacitive screen. The Omnia's are all using fairly-newish tech in the AMOLED capacitive screens.

The Omnia Pro may well have a faster processor, more RAM and more ROM (maybe much more). Both have access to the 32gb SDHC (I think) via microUSB.

TP2 has tilt, but only when wanted, a very nice feature when needed. Omnia Pro does not.

Samsung Omnia Pro (Lourve / B7160)

Possible Specs for the Omnia PRO:
http://www.mobilewhack.com/samsung-louvre-is-actually-the-omnia-pro/

HTC Touc Pro2

Offical Specs for TP2:
http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro2/specification.html

TP2 should be available sometime between Sept. and Oct. on VzW; don't quote me.
I have no idea if or when the Omnia Pro will grace VzW. But, the Omnia I and Omnia II are definitly headed for VzW, so one could assume the Pro has a chance to make it on their list.

If you can't wait, I'd go with a HTC Touch Pro -- Vzw just added it to inventory 2 months ago, yet the phone is over a 1yr old, go figure.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back