Coolermaster ATSC 840??

groebuck

2[H]4U
I got one of these and the backplate for the mobo just does not fit, then I get it all together and I cannot for the life of me get the dvd rom in the 5 1/4 space. It will just not go in...it's like it has crap tolerances...

kind of pissed for a 200 dollar case....

What condition was the box in when you received this case? I ask because it sounds to me like the case might have been dropped (on one corner) and is no longer "squared". I mean it is an aluminum case. But I've never known Cooler Master cases to have poor construction per se.

Box was pristine, I have dug around actual user reviews and many mention the 5 1/4 is a "tight fit" - mine is too tight - and I have built a ton of pcs....there is a lot right with this case but if I cannot get a dvd rom in it or my io plate on...it's not worth 50 cents to me.

from other egg buyers -

Cons: My case came promptly and well packaged from Newegg; and all was well until I attempted to install one of my 5.25 DVD-RW drives and found that the opening for it in the case was too narrow to fit.

And about those 5.25 inch bays... They are a real tight fit. You have to perfectly align your drives then squeeze them through. And even then, it's not an easy fit. Be careful when pushing your drives through the front bezel that you don't damage them.

Cons: I to was expeting higher tolerances than this for the price the left panel was not broke squarley and therfore has a gap where it meets the front of the case the top is tight but the lower portion comes away from the front of the case about 2/16s of a inch because the case is black and the interior is very shiny this is very noticable it's not really worth sending it back over . I realize this is a long shot but I am thinking about writing cool master and seeing if I can get a replacemet side panel

Cons: I am however, disappointed by what seems to be more or less average tolerances in the construction of the case. From the reviews, I was expecting perfect tolerances, with panels that fit together exactly right and no gaps whatsoever

Cons: It has some minor flaws like everything, it scratches VERY easily, I already scraped a good deal of paint off while building it. I have issues with the tool less design which isn't really 'Tool less' Putting a DVD drive in was a PITA

Cons: Fit and finish on the inside were slightly irregular -some of the screw holes didn't align perfectly

Cons: The side panels are a little flimsy. Has sharp edges in some places on the cuts so be careful.

Cons: The 5 1/4 bays were slightly too narrow for the drives and accessories I put in them.

"Cons: I to was expeting higher tolerances than this for the price the left panel was not broke squarley and therfore has a gap where it meets the front of the case the top is tight but the lower portion comes away from the front of the case about 2/16s of a inch because the case is black and the interior is very shiny this is very noticable it's not really worth sending it back over . I realize this is a long shot but I am thinking about writing cool master and seeing if I can get a replacemet side panel"

That statement right there indicates his case is NOT square. Now this might mean that Cooler Master's Quality Control (at least where these are assembled...) is less than perfect. Or, I suppose, they could have dropped several of these cases before they got boxed up. And last, I also might guess that because they are made of aluminum they get tweaked without any "box damage" being visible, which doesn't speak well for their durability.

Also, that you bought this from NewEgg, and there are two other people who bought this same case from NewEgg and you all have vaguely similar issues does not mean there is a bad batch. I say this because of the 49 reviews on this case at NewEgg, only 4 gave it "3 eggs" or less. And most of the complaints are related to the "thickness of the side panels", or the fact that the some of the connectors for the "front panel" are miss-labeled. Actually the most common complaint is that the case is "too big".... which is why I never bought one. So No! I personally don't have that case. (So I'm not defending it!)

However, I do have 5 other Cooler Master cases. A Stacker 830 Evo, a HAF 932, a Storm Sniper, an RC-690 and an Elite 330. In fact I dropped my HAF 932 getting it out of it's box (the styrofoam broke!). This "sprung" the case so both side panels popped off. I had to use a rubber mallet to carefully beat the case back into shape... now it's fine. But I've never had any of the issues to which you refer (specifically the I/O panel not fitting and drives not fitting in the 5.25" bay...).

I'm not saying you're lying. But I've read a whole bunch of reviews of the ATCS 840. It's a very highly rated case. And if ALL ATCS 840 cases had these issues, I'm sure someone would have reported it. As for the NewEgg "Customer Reviews"... I read them - but I don't give them much credence. I can remember one "review" of the Asus P6T where the guy said his motherboard "snapped in half" for no particular reason. In the same review he also said that there was "too much play" in the CPU socket. Personally, I think this person installed the processor incorrectly, bent the pins, then "snapped" his board in a fit of rage. I mean, think about it! If you have ever installed a Ci7 CPU you know there's ONE way to put it in, and there is NO Free Play!

Sadly, NewEgg by their very success have attracted some of the stupidest customers on the planet. Either that or many of their "reviews" are by "shills" for other companies trying to make the competition look bad. And I'm serious! I'd say at least 90% of the reviews that say "DOA", this broke after "x days", ... etc, are due to User Error. And I really feel sorry for the poor customer service reps there that have to put up with these "customers".

But, in regards to your case, you should have returned it. That's what I would have done...

I plan on it. Unfortunately I now have to pay for shipping something the size of a dorm fridge from Ohio to California.

While I agree a lot of newegg reviewers are not the brightest, of the 40 + reviews at least 10 sight tolerance issues. You can blame it on it being dropped but that would equate to 25% of the cases reviewed being dropped. Aditionally the mobo tray is removable, so it would not be affected by being square or not yet the io plate does not fit. The 5 1/4 space issue is just ridiculous..if by your logic it was dropped I should be able to atleast get it back in by a little force. No such luck.

I also own two other coolermaster cases and they are fine. I just expect a lot for 210 bucks. There is a lot to love about this case..but the simple things make it unusable. Now it's going to cost me about 30 bucks more to return it.

I agree that for $210 bucks it should be "right"... no question about that. And I can relate to your frustration at having to send it back. But if you don't mind my suggestion, I might point you to the Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50. It's smaller than the ATCS 840, but still has many similar features. And I just bought a Storm Sniper, which should arrive today... Otherwise I would buy that Armorsuit myself.

In my experience, Lian Li has the best craftsmanship. It's just that many of their larger cases, are too expensive for my budget. Or they don't have some of the features I want.

Back