Win7 Upgrade question

Akucaen

Limp Gawd
I just have a rather directed and quick question. I have one copy of XP-x64 and two copies of Vista, does (or will) the upgrade version allow for a completely clean install without installing either XP/Vista first? (i.e. type in my old key and let it see I have a disc?)

I would like to know that too. However, I bet it will be similar to Vista- I think you have to have an OS installed first before you can upgrade.

Well, that's why I felt it was worth the ask; I thought Vista had a "hidden" option where you could provide a XP-cd and it would allow a clean install?

*edit*
nevermind, several sites are reporting the preorder upgrade pricing without mentioning that it's upgrade and not full versions.

The MS store is offering preorders beginning Friday, but the discount window is short, and no one seems to have any info on how the upgrade process is going to work.

Maybe we'll find out HERE on the 26th

Last edited:
Upgrade version you mean windows 7? Is not an upgrade, right now windows 7 is RC means release candidate and is the last version before the official one and RTM. This is not official and MS will allow you to use it for a year. MS will give you a key for windows 7 when you download it. You have to do a clean install of windows 7 and if you have xp and vista dual boot is fine.
You don't have to have xp or vista at all to run windows 7 since it is a completely new OS.
Since is not the final version I suggest you use along side xp or vista and see if you like it.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1034277805 said:
Upgrade version you mean windows 7? Is not an upgrade, right now windows 7 is RC means release candidate and is the last version before the official one and RTM. This is not official and MS will allow you to use it for a year. MS will give you a key for windows 7 when you download it. You have to do a clean install of windows 7 and if you have xp and vista dual boot is fine.
You don't have to have xp or vista at all to run windows 7 since it is a completely new OS.
Since is not the final version I suggest you use along side xp or vista and see if you like it.

I think you missed the news that MS announced the upgrade pricing.....
We're talking about the "real" Windows 7 Release not the RC.

Yeah, I'm talking about the final retail version. The ARSTechnica article reads like you can get the full versions for those prices, but I thought that was for upgrade versions only?

Yeah, I'm talking about the final retail version. The ARSTechnica article reads like you can get the full versions for those prices, but I thought that was for upgrade versions only?

It is, I edited my earlier post - I read through the Ars article several times and still got the impression that they were talking about full versions on preorder. Comments attached to the article cleared it up a bit. That's what I get for reading Ars before [H] :D

Which is why I ask the question in the OP. :( I don't MIND installing a gimp version of vista since I format once every 1-2 years and just keep windows clean otherwise. It'd be nice if I didn't have to though.

The question still stands.

Can you do a clean install of the upgrade version as long as you provide a valid Vista/XP key and/or disk?

I've looked around the web but can't find anything so far.

I'd jump on the upgrade, but I reinstall a lot, and dont want to have to install vista then upgrade to 7 everytime. Rather just plug in my vista key and go.

I know this isn't a clean install per se, but didn't Vista allow you to clean install from an upgrade disc (just don't put in product key), then once Vista is installed, just run the install again and upgrade on top of the clean Vista install? Don't know if this will work with 7 though.

From what I get out of it, you can only do an upgrade off an existing Vista install, but a clean install will be performed once the Win7 Upgrade disc verifies you have XP installed.

If it works the way the vista upgrade does.. You can do the upgrade then boot of the cd again and it will let you format then install a fresh copy of windows..

From what I get out of it, you can only do an upgrade off an existing Vista install, but a clean install will be performed once the Win7 Upgrade disc verifies you have XP installed.

+1
this is what i have read and you will have the option to do a clean install from Vista
32 > 64 bit will also require a clean install

Well...amazon.com is accepting orders now. I'm officially $100 poorer and will let y'all know how an upgrade from vista 32 to win7 64 turns out...in 4 months :p

Are the 32 and 64 bit versions on one DVD? I don't see any online stores selling distinct versions.

I would like to know that too. However, I bet it will be similar to Vista- I think you have to have an OS installed first before you can upgrade.

what are you talking about, you could do a Clean Install with Vista with the Upgrade

Well...amazon.com is accepting orders now. I'm officially $100 poorer and will let y'all know how an upgrade from vista 32 to win7 64 turns out...in 4 months :p
is that for premium or pro? newegg has premium for 50 and pro for 100.

# Running Windows Vista?
# If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).
# Running Earlier Versions?
# If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional-Upgrade/product/8BB1A4B4

what are you talking about, you could do a Clean Install with Vista with the Upgrade

You had to install Vista twice with the upgrade DVD. First time without the key....second time with.

Pain in the rump and not exactly "clean" IMHO.

How many computers can Windows 7 be installed on? Is it one disk for every one computer?

How many computers can Windows 7 be installed on? Is it one disk for every one computer?

More like one retail license key per computer. You could use the same DVD to install on all your home PCs, but need a separate key for each.

You had to install Vista twice with the upgrade DVD. First time without the key....second time with.

Pain in the rump and not exactly "clean" IMHO.

Maybe MS realized people were just doing this and saving money and decided to scrap it. :D

This is a question I had too. When you buy the specially upgrade DVD, is it the actual upgrade DVD or a full, retail Windows 7?

I have Vista but I don't want to upgrade I want a clean install come October.

The Upgrade media WILL be capable of a clean install (in some fashion) since upgrading from XP requires it.

Thats my understanding.

I have a related upgrade question.

Does anyone know if you will be able to do a clean reinstall of windows 7 using the upgrade version? I don't mean going from the release candidate to the retail. I want to know if I can reinstall W7 (the same version) without first installing vista again.

Does anyone know if this works in vista, I would think the two OS's would use a similar upgrade system?

I have a related upgrade question.

Does anyone know if you will be able to do a clean reinstall of windows 7 using the upgrade version? I don't mean going from the release candidate to the retail. I want to know if I can reinstall W7 (the same version) without first installing vista again.

Does anyone know if this works in vista, I would think the two OS's would use a similar upgrade system?

Yes, you can do a clean install from the upgrade disk even with Vista. It says so on Microsoft's website and has been posted a few places on this forum

Yes, I just read that on the official Windows site. Both the Upgrade and Retail boxes and downloads include 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

What is the best place to buy from? Amazon?

Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with upgrading OS's, I heard it was a pain. I am running XP right now, but I really want to get Windows 7. If I get one of these "upgrades" does that mean I can just install Windows 7 or do I have install xp first then upgrade to windows 7?

I think you missed the news that MS announced the upgrade pricing.....
We're talking about the "real" Windows 7 Release not the RC.
sorry I thought it wrong. I was asking the same question on evga forums as well http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100751203 my thread.

I spoke with MS and they said you do need to have vista already on that partition where you want to install windows 7:mad:. It's bad news for me since it will suck time wise. I will need to do a clean install of my current OS any way since it has been over a year and a half from the last install. I was just thinking to wipe vista out and do a clean install of windows 7 with the upgrade version. But is not the case. newegg and amazon have it now for $49 and $99 for the Pro version.

I spoke to M$ yesterday and asked about upgrading my computers. One runs Vista Ultimate the other XP Pro. I was told I could only upgrade my Vista Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate, and my my machine running XP Pro could not be upgraded to Win7 at all.

The Egg advertises: "All Editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista® qualify you to upgrade."

When I saw that at this time yesterday morning I jumped and ordered to copies of Win7 Pro. After talking to M$ today...WTF!?!

Anyone know who is right?

Was also told by the M$ service lady that "they have not released Win7 Ultimate pre-order pricing, yet". Very interesting. Now I'm very confused about which upgrade to get.
Also sent the Egg an e-mail.

Back