Microcenter: Windows 7 Upgrade Home Premium $39.99 / Professional $89.99 - Ends 6/28

mastercheeze

2[H]4U
I was just browsing the MC site when I noticed the banner ad for this.

Linky

Details:

How to get your Windows® 7 Upgrade Savings Coupon:
1. Come to Micro Center between 6/26/09 - 6/28/09 and ask an associate about the Windows® 7 Upgrade Coupon.
2. Choose either Windows® 7 Home Premium Upgrade coupon or Professional Upgrade coupon.
3. Name, address and email are required, but no purchase is necessary to receive the coupon.
4. Return to Micro Center between 10/22/09 - 11/4/09 with your Windows® 7 Upgrade coupon to purchase your upgrade.
*Micro Center exclusive offer expires 6/28/09. In-store purchase only. Limit one coupon per household. Limited quantities. While supplies last. Promotion may end at any time or hour. Offer valid on Windows® 7 Home Premium Upgrade or Professional Upgrade version only. General availability of Windows® 7 scheduled for 10/22/09. California customers are required to sign up for Micro Center Rewards Program.

Looks like I'm heading to MC in the morning......

Thanks OP!
Was at the NE Ohio store yesterday...wish rep had told me but I'll head back.

WOW. That is an AWESOME deal. I may ask a friend to pick up a coupon for me....I'll be in Dallas at the end of October....I don't need a copy, but co-worker might want it....then again, they could pre-order it instead locally.

I'm wondering how Microsoft will restrict performing a clean install from these upgrade disks. It's a pain in the balls on Vista. You have to install the OS without a key, to get to evaluation mode, then from within evaluation mode, perform a non-destructive clean install, this time inserting your key. Then, when you boot into the second installation you can wipe out the first and activate.

This annoyed me like you would not believe, since I re-install every few months, and it basically forced me to do twice the work.

i think even with the upgrade verison they give you a choice now to do either a clean install or upgrade install but you just have to have a previous verison of windows installed obviously

i think even with the upgrade verison they give you a choice now to do either a clean install or upgrade install but you just have to have a previous verison of windows installed obviously

That's the part that's a huge pain. The upgrade disk and the full disk are the same...only the keys...so why can't I just type in my Vista key AND my Windows 7 key (or XP and Vista, whatever) and do a clean install from scratch? Because they exist to be a pain in my balls obviously.

Read the fine print. They say in-store only, select coupon for Home or Pro, and ONE coupon per household. If you need more than one copy, or one or more of each, you better check first before cancelling orders elsewhere. I read the ad as saying you get one box per coupon per household. Everyone else lets you get three boxes of each.

Microcenter is the worst retailer ever. Why do all these good deals have to be limited to in-store?! DAMN YOU MICROCENTER! :(

While it's a nice deal it's not screaming for the next week Microsoft is running a special to get Windows 7 Home Premium for $50 and Windows 7 Ultimate for $100. It's only 10 bucks and you don't have to stress about making a trip to Microcenter get it. Here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

That's the same pre-order all the retailers are doing today. Microcenter just undercut everyone by $10. And, it's Pro for $100 not Ultimate for $100. You almost made me cancel my copy of Pro from Amazon...:eek:

I was tempted to go to MC to pre-order a copy of Win 7, but I factored in the gas and the tax I'd pay so I would break even. Amazon for me:D

I was tempted to go to MC to pre-order a copy of Win 7, but I factored in the gas and the tax I'd pay so I would break even. Amazon for me:D

There's something about shopping in your underwear while eating breakfast that instore just doesn't satisfy. Without getting arrested. :eek:

That's the part that's a huge pain. The upgrade disk and the full disk are the same...only the keys...so why can't I just type in my Vista key AND my Windows 7 key (or XP and Vista, whatever) and do a clean install from scratch? Because they exist to be a pain in my balls obviously.
yea i know i just install xp then install upgrade of win 7 and it has to do a clean install
i know its a pain but its better than paying 200 dollars

yea i know i just install xp then install upgrade of win 7 and it has to do a clean install
i know its a pain but its better than paying 200 dollars

What's better is not spending money on software that sucks your soul right out of your eyeballs as you are trying to use it.

As much as I like the Windows 7 RC, I probably won't buy the upgrade if it comes with this completely asinine activation scheme (nor the full version since I already own several XP keys and one Vista). I will just go back to linux for work and booting into Vista for games.

What's better is not spending money on software that sucks your soul right out of your eyeballs as you are trying to use it.

As much as I like the Windows 7 RC, I probably won't buy the upgrade if it comes with this completely asinine activation scheme (nor the full version since I already own several XP keys and one Vista). I will just go back to linux for work and booting into Vista for games.

QFT. I'm not a fan of boobytrapped OS's.

This deal was massive win, just got back from getting my coupon on my lunch break.

No money down, store doesn't hold onto my money. It's just a gift receipt thing with a code for the discounted price of $39.99. Can easily decide later to just not show up if I don't want it, or show up to buy it if I do. AND $10 cheaper than all other places.

you have to pay $39.99 for it ? shit i thought it was free thats not worth the trip to Boston !

californians, type videocard at bing.com to get 15% off at tigerdirect. I did it just 10 minutes ago and already placed my order

In for one. Stopped by on my way home today. :D

The sales clerk made a very good point in that the thermal receipts fade quickly and it would be a very good idea to make a copy (and keep with the thermal) just in case.

The only nice part of recently moving to Denver is the fact that I have a MicroCenter right down the road from my house.

While we are at it, if i am majorly a gamer and use my computer for movie and such, is home premium good enough or professional? I wanted ultimate but 200+ is too expensive for upgrade. Another thing is the one in store or newegg the 32bit ro 64 bit version?

considering that newegg is only $10 more and w/ free shipping, you'd spend more than the difference in gas going back and forth to microcenter....unless you live right next door

The main difference between the ultimite vista and normal vista iss the dreamscene, is there going to be some kind of ground breaking difference between the version this time?

Activation isn't hard for those that know how to use a mouse (which presumably includes everyone reading this topic).

While we are at it, if i am majorly a gamer and use my computer for movie and such, is home premium good enough or professional? I wanted ultimate but 200+ is too expensive for upgrade. Another thing is the one in store or newegg the 32bit ro 64 bit version?

Sounds like Home Premium is all you need.

There's pretty much nothing in Ultimate that home users need for a desktop, with the possible exception of bit locker to go....that it's worth the price. If you think the features are useful, then get pro and do the anytime upgrade (assuming the cost is roughly the same as the Pro/Ultimate delta at retail).

What's needed in order to get the "upgrade" version. I want to do a clean install on a new HD but I do have my Vista Ultimate DVD. Is that all that will be needed?

Activation isn't hard for those that know how to use a mouse (which presumably includes everyone reading this topic).

Explain to me how I install an upgrade version of Windows 7 (or Vista), from scratch, without installing it twice.

My problem isn't with activation specifically, it's activation of an upgrade version from clean install (the only good way to install windows...). Understanding that isn't hard for people who can read.

Explain to me how I install an upgrade version of Windows 7 (or Vista), from scratch, without installing it twice.

My problem isn't with activation specifically, it's activation of an upgrade version from clean install (the only good way to install windows...). Understanding that isn't hard for people who can read.

You can't. I think the savings is worth the extra 45 minutes required for the second installation (especially since your license is now valid on a completely different machine. The same can't be said for OEM copies (though you can, apparently, sweet talk MS CS into letting you reactivate it.

Back