Got a free copy, should I play WoW?

daveyjwin

Limp Gawd
So, I have just come into an apparently unopened copy of WoW, received from my girlfriend's boss. Now, I have always enjoyed RPGs, some of my favorites were Diablo 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Oblivion, Fallout 2 and 3, KOTOR 1 and 2, and several others I'm sure. I played Guild Wars several years ago for a bit, but couldn't really get into it.

I've always kind of avoided WoW though, because of the whole paying per month thing. But now that I've got a little more moolah in the bank, and a couple hours per day of free time, I'm tempted by this copy of WoW, sitting right in front of me.

Should I open Pandora's Box, or leave it unopened and wait for The Old Republic to come out before popping my MMO cherry?

Sell it. Go buy crack with the money you make off it. Smoke the crack. Same basic principal.

over 3 years of wow before i saw the light...i wished to God i never bought it

throw it away right now

i'm not kidding

Looking back on my life, I wish I would have never played that game. I wasted so much time and money on that game, it is definitely in your best interests to just stay away

2 years and dropped out of school (that was a coincidence, not a result of the game) toward playing every single day. I say no.

I could give you really lengthy reasons and paragraphs but I'll keep it short:
  • The game has too much grinding, feels like you're at your job or at work.
  • Despite the grinding, you don't have a sense of accomplishment with other RPGs.
  • No matter what class you pick on any given patch day your class can be nerfed.
  • All sense of accomplishment is ruined by the nearly yearly expansion packs.
  • End game is boring with just basically a gear hunt.
  • Not game exclusive, but most guilds are nepotistic douchebags. Don't expect to get your gear.
  • PVP consists of waiting in queue for half an hour or more.
  • Last time I played there were only three (3) "battlegrounds" places you can PVP for gear.
  • Besides battlegrounds, any traditional sort of PVP doesn't really exist nor happen.
  • Blizzard bans it's users for odd ass reasons.

That's the short list. So basically, no.

Dont start. Ive sold my accounts for a good amount of money, but i dont think its worth the hours spent on playing the game. 20 hours a day 7 days a week just to get rank 14. Just go and play free realms if you want an MMO.

Look for an alternative way to enjoy WoW...PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread. I've never seen these types of replies over a video game before.

To be honest, I wouldn't get involved with it. It really will consume your time, and if you don't have tons available, don't bother.

I played since open beta, quitting on and off a few times for a couple of months. Sold a couple of accounts, but always came back. Finally quit about 4 months back, and hopefully will stay away.

I've been sober since Naxxramas. I quit halfway through it...and now I'm getting a phD starting in the fall.

I quit playing last summer, but I wasn't really hooked in yet anyways.

I say give it away.

You can also sell your soul to the devil for free.

It's up to you. A "gift" of WOW means that are you actually giving your life and life savings to Blizzard in the near future.

You can also sell your soul to the devil for free.

It's up to you. A "gift" of WOW means that are you actually giving your life and life savings to Blizzard in the near future.

The gift of WoW. For everything else, there's Mastercard. :p

Been rid of it for a couple months. WoW fulfilled (or rather, carved out) a gaping hole in my social life that I have yet to fill. I had a lot of good times in the many years I played, and I wager there would be a lot of fun in store for you, if you were to start.

However, I must echo the other posters in this thread. Don't play it. I'm certain that I'm worse off for having succumbed to the addiction for so many years.

If you think you might spend too much time playing, or more time than you want, then (like anything), don't do it.

However, my wife and I play during the winter months and we both enjoy it. We're very casual at playing, and don't really care about most of the things in this thread. It's just a game that we can play together...

This thread is funny and pathetic at the same time its like a bunch of alcoholics sitting in a bar telling people why they shouldnt drink. Its not wows fault you guys lack self control and made stupid choices.

If you just got a copy of wow you have to consider there are still 2 expansions you need to buy for the game to be any fun after level 60. Try the trial, if you like it play it otherwise just sell it. Dont let a bunch of addict fools dissuade you from trying a good game as vocal as they are they are a small minority, wow is about as casual as an MMO can be these days.

The problem is, I bet most people that people know IRL that actually play WoW don't actually play it casually. I'm sure if you ask around, you'll find that those WoW players aren't actually casual players.

Small minority...I lol at that. The small minority are the people that can actually play the game casually. Oh and those people that play the game casually as in (don't raid hardcore), but are still logged on just as much as those raider-types, are just as addicted. They just fuel their vice differently than the raiders.

Small minority...I lol at that. The small minority are the people that can actually play the game casually. Oh and those people that play the game casually as in (don't raid hardcore), but are still logged on just as much as those raider-types, are just as addicted. They just fuel their vice differently than the raiders.

Yes small minority. The "hardcore raiders" and "12 hour a day casuals" are a small minority. Very vocal but still small nonetheless.

This thread is funny and pathetic at the same time its like a bunch of alcoholics sitting in a bar telling people why they shouldnt drink. Its not wows fault you guys lack self control and made stupid choices.

No, it isn't WoW's fault that people played for so long.

What is WoW's fault is how the game totally blows and is a total piece of shit. I expected good balanced game, good PvP and good endgame. What did I get? Sheer boredom and waste of time. I could have played pong and got the same entertainment value but for much less time and money. If you want a second job with no pay, definitely play World Of Warcraft.

I'm going to say YES go ahead and try it. There really is NO other game like it. Will you get hooked? probably. But you will look back at this time in your life in the years ahead and Smile at the memories that only WOW can give you.

It's only as addictive as you make it to be. It's a GREAT game that brought many wonderful memories that i wouldn't trade for anything.

Having played WoW for 4 and a half years, having recently quit about a month ago, I'm going to say this :

The game is great, until you hit level 80 (the level cap). You will suddenly find that anything you wish to do (PvP or PvE) is very frustrating and/or time consuming. At level 80, the fun and variety is sort of sucked out of the game with a vacuum cleaner. Most of my friends quit shortly after getting to 80.

i'd play it. one of the best games I ever played. I played a little over a year. It's been almost two years since I last played. Although I did play the game a lot when I was playing it, I don't regret the time spent.

most of the people saying don't play it are probably ones who had no self control playing it or never played it, or know someone who played it with no control over their time. Like SkullE said, I have great memories playing it and talking to people all around that you don't get to do unless your traveling.

WoW is a fantastic game and well worth checking out. However, it is a huge time sink and is so well made that it can easily suck you in. Honestly the best way to experience WoW, without all the time wasting, life stealing nonsense that is WoW (i.e. casually), is to find a nice private community to play with. I'm sure with a little research you can find what I am referring to.

Last edited:
Maybe if Blizzard didn't ruin the game with WOTLK I would suggest trying it, but don't do it. It's not worth the trouble/time anymore when it's all pug content.

Maybe if Blizzard didn't ruin the game with WOTLK I would suggest trying it, but don't do it. It's not worth the trouble/time anymore when it's all pug content.

Honestly for a casual player WoTLK is the greatest thing to happen to wow yet.

WoW is a fantastic game and well worth checking out. However, it is a huge time sink and is so well made that it can easily suck you in. Honestly the best way to experience WoW, without all the time wasting, life stealing nonsense that is WoW (i.e. casually), is to find a nice private community to play with. I'm sure with a little research you can find what I am referring to.

Its awesome if you dont mind playing a half ass illegal broken copy of wow and being at the mercy of whatever asshat runs the server.

Sorry guy i spent 2 years in the "private" community and it cant even compare to the real deal especially since WoTLK makes it even easier for the casuals to get into it.

i would say no also. wait for the kotor to come out.......have that bust your cherry. i beta tested wow...........quit 6months later and havent looked back.

Its awesome if you dont mind playing a half ass illegal broken copy of wow and being at the mercy of whatever asshat runs the server.

Sorry guy i spent 2 years in the "private" community and it cant even compare to the real deal especially since WoTLK makes it even easier for the casuals to get into it.

You just had a bad experience it seems. There are great places out there.

If you just got a copy of wow you have to consider there are still 2 expansions you need to buy for the game to be any fun after level 60. Try the trial, if you like it play it otherwise just sell it. Dont let a bunch of addict fools dissuade you from trying a good game as vocal as they are they are a small minority, wow is about as casual as an MMO can be these days.

Glad you said it so I didn't have to type it out.

I played WoW for about two years. I took a few month-long breaks in there, but about two years. A month or two after WOTLK's release I got totally turned off of the only thing keeping me entertained with it (Arenas). I quit and haven't looked back. Do I regret playing it? Certainly not! Sure I wish I had spent less time playing it and more time doing __x___, but I got dozens of THOUSANDS of hours of enjoyment out of that game. Don't let the monthly fee turn you off, it's freakin' cheap entertainment for the amount of fun you can have. I look back and have some great memories of the game. I enjoyed it, and would do it again.

You just had a bad experience it seems. There are great places out there.

I spent YEARS between dozens of servers. I ran one for about 6 months as well, even if you find one with decent people they rarely last any real length of time and will never ever come close to running as well and complete as live.

its just not worth the hassle compared to just buying it.

If you have a bunch of friends that play, then it will most likely be fun....until you get to end game and you get really tired of getting all that gear you lusted after from 1 - 80. It just isn't fulfilling in the end.

I spent YEARS between dozens of servers. I ran one for about 6 months as well, even if you find one with decent people they rarely last any real length of time and will never ever come close to running as well and complete as live.

its just not worth the hassle compared to just buying it.

For the record, I purchased WoW and both expansions...I agree it can never run as complete as live and major content patches usually don't show up until after they have been out for 2 months on live, but for me an MMO is all about the community. The game could be great or it could be shit, but if I am playing with cool people that I genuinely like talking with, I will enjoy myself.

That being said, I have 3 major things I hate about WoW (I guess this could be applied to all MMO's): The lengthy leveling grind, hours of farming, and long travel times. Basically, the things that were just eating the time I could be spending enjoying the game. The ideal place for me to enjoy WoW is a place that eliminates (or significantly reduces) these 3 things but leaves everything else in tact.

Back