CPU halt during mem test

reb00tin

Gawd
new rig:

ASUS M4A78T-E
Phenom II X2 550 BE
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB BL2KIT12864BA1608 = (BL12864BA1608.8SFB)

Intermittently halts during Memtest...
IMG_4274_25P.JPG

Also goes poof in Windows and reboots with a nasty beep and the following "Hyper transport sync flood error"
IMG_4262_25P.JPG

Then again it can run Orthos for days without a glitch.

Defective CPU, memory or mobo??? This CPU is awesome, but lets not forget that the 550BE are defective quads after all.

Maybe a setting or bug in the bios is throwing the ht link out of whack? I've never had any issues with my 550 but I would suspect the motherboard since it doesn't look like an actual ram problem.

Maybe a setting or bug in the bios is throwing the ht link out of whack? I've never had any issues with my 550 but I would suspect the motherboard since it doesn't look like an actual ram problem.

Yeah it's a tricky one, I agree it doesn't look like a Ram problem.

BIOS is mostly default, except for DRAM frequency, because otherwise it defaults to 1066 MHz. I've also enabled the "dram profiles", not sure what it does, I assume it's to allow reading SPD profiles...
untitled1.JPG

It runs fine at 1600MHz on AUTO, but failed mem test once at that speed.

Runs flawless at 1333Mhz, also on AUTO . . . until it goes poof with a sync flood error
untitled2.JPG

I tested the memory overnight. It checked out OK until pass #14. Then passes #15, 16, 17 were again error-free, and also OK for passes #19, 20, 21. Am I interpreting this correctly?
IMG_4270_25P.JPG

Then I tried again, lots of errors but passes #2, 4 & 5 were OK. So it looks like defective memory can go error-free for many passes.
IMG_4277_25P.JPG

However, will bad memory alone cause "CPU halting" or reboot with "hyper transport sync flood error"??? I'm inclined to return all 3 (mobo/mem/cpu) and get different parts. Whaddya think?

I'd try setting volts and timings manually per manufacturer's specs. Test one stick at a time and then both together. If the ram can't pass at rated specs them I'd rma.

Adding a dot to this thread - oyu ever get this fixed? I 'm having a similar issue, but no memtest errors yet.

Adding a dot to this thread - oyu ever get this fixed? I 'm having a similar issue, but no memtest errors yet.

Yes, I replaced memory with G.Skill -- fixed

The "hyper transport sync flood error" turns out is a separate problem, I see many reports of that in Asus M4A series mobos. I haven't had error since I flashed with new BIOS version about week ago. Google for details, or check AMD forum, ASUS forums also but there's censorship there, not an open forum.

Also a problem with the power button: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1447858 Several users posted about this also in VIP.Asus forums, but the moderators keep deleting the threads.

Last edited:
kk. Yeah, I'm getting the sync flood any time I boot to linux. I get maybe 15 minutes otu of it, 5 if I'm playing a dvd or the like, and then boom. oddly enough, windows is perfectly stable!

Just flashed the latest bios - the update tool didn't find it at first online, so I did it by hand.

wtf would asus censor their forums?

Acts like every other system I have - powers off via graceful shutdown. At least in windows it does - never tried it in linux :p

Back