GA-P965-DS3 woes

ddutta

Limp Gawd
Bought a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 board in 2007. Here are the issues:
* Board makes a high frequency chirping sound (like crickets do)
* with E6420, 8GB RAM, 8600gt and a 64 bit OS, I get random freezes (both Vista ultimate and Ubuntu 9.04)

Questions:
* Is the freeze related to a faulty mobo or a P965 issue
* Should I upgrade my mobo, given that I have an older 65nm CPU.

have you overclocked your computer? are you running the latest bios and drivers? when does your computer freeze (cpu intensive program, gpu intensive program, in browsing or so)?

Start by running the standard Prime95 and memtest tools to determine whether there are hardware instabilities.

If you have the system overclocked, drop everything back to stock. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 965P chipset doesn't like quads all that much or 8 gig of RAM. I know you don't have a quad but the 8 gig of RAM may be a bit more than the northbridge likes to deal with. Just some things to keep in mind when doing your testing.

That high frequency chirping sound it's coil whine, you can use hot glue to silence that component of your mobo, it should be around the CPU voltage regulating circuitry.

With P965 boards if you have all the memory slots filled and have 4+GB of RAM, you should change in the BIOS the Refresh to ACT Delay (tRFC) to 52-62 and additionally add +0.1V to (G)MCH. ;)

IMO you shouldn't upgrade your mobo if you can solve those problems that you mentioned earlier.

have you overclocked your computer? are you running the latest bios and drivers? when does your computer freeze (cpu intensive program, gpu intensive program, in browsing or so)?

No overclocks.
Random freeze ..... even if I keep it idle.

Thx

Start by running the standard Prime95 and memtest tools to determine whether there are hardware instabilities.

If you have the system overclocked, drop everything back to stock. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 965P chipset doesn't like quads all that much or 8 gig of RAM. I know you don't have a quad but the 8 gig of RAM may be a bit more than the northbridge likes to deal with. Just some things to keep in mind when doing your testing.

Havent run Prime but overnight memtest has been ok. No overclocking. I never had the freezes during my 32 bit days (with 4gb RAM). Then I saw memory prices drop and got myself extra 4gb and installed 64 bit versions of ubuntu and vista. Ubuntu 8.10 doesnt cause frequent freezes but 9.04 does. Vista64 freezes occasionally too. So it could be 64bit too.

That high frequency chirping sound it's coil whine, you can use hot glue to silence that component of your mobo, it should be around the CPU voltage regulating circuitry.

With P965 boards if you have all the memory slots filled and have 4+GB of RAM, you should change in the BIOS the Refresh to ACT Delay (tRFC) to 52-62 and additionally add +0.1V to (G)MCH. ;)

IMO you shouldn't upgrade your mobo if you can solve those problems that you mentioned earlier.

Pardon my ignorance but whats hot glue and how do I locate the coil whine/voltage regulating area. One option for me is to RMA that to G. Thankfully these boards have a 3yr warr. Thx for your BIOS suggestions.

In addition do applying the bios settings in Seb1's post, run memtest86 on the new ram. x64 has nothing to do with the stability issues you are seeing.

But the high frequency chirping might, it could be coming from either the board or the power supply. If it's coming from the power supply, you might want to look into whether or not your power supply is unstable.

Back