300GB SATA VelociRaptor $186 shipped

If you go to Dell SB and apply STACKABLE 10% off Electronics & Accessories Coupon Code: XTHR0RQRXJHQ12. With free 2nd Business Day Delivery + tax at least in IL its = 177.85

Dell also has a 2tb green for $180 and a 1.5tb for $117 (use same code as above)

I bought a 1TB hitatchi drive / 32mb cache / 7200rpm for only $70 after ship / tax from amazon recently. This thread is a bad deal, and quite overpriced.

I bought a 1TB hitatchi drive / 32mb cache / 7200rpm for only $70 after ship / tax from amazon recently. This thread is a bad deal, and quite overpriced.

Should I?

Nah, way too easy.

I'm sure the other sharks will pick up on the blood.

If it was $150 shipped, maybe. But if you look you can get them for about $200 anyhow so not saving much imho.
Anyhow, got mine barely used for about $125 shipped, so happy about that... :)

because all hard drives perform the same, the only difference is the capacity right?

you should google Velociraptor reviews and benchmarks and see why they charge so much for an "only 300Gb drive"

those considering the Velociraptor should also consider this article that was posted on the front page here, but i cant find it right now

You could always just raid the two hitatchi 1TB drives...and it would still be cheaper...only $140, plus you'd have......6X the space, :cool:.

You could always just raid the two hitatchi 1TB drives...and it would still be cheaper...only $140, plus you'd have......6X the space, :cool:.

I don't mean to thread crap, but what are you doing spewing so much fud about something you have little knowledge about?

Soft raid is still not going to get you VelociRaptor speed, and by the time you buy a good hardware raid controller, you've ponied out a lot of money.

Two 1tb drives in raid 0 would be faster and cheaper than a single 300gb velociraptor even if you are just using on board raid.

62 cents/GB

meh...............................................................................................................................

Tax kills the HD deals. Now waiting on the $200 for 2x1.5TB drives again.

In regards to the Vraptor, it's no question it's overpriced. WD6401AALS gives almost similar performance, and if you're willing to shell out 2 bills for an OS drive, pretty sure at this point you've already jumped on SSDs.

Two 1tb drives in raid 0 would be faster and cheaper than a single 300gb velociraptor even if you are just using on board raid.

Absolutely would not be.

The VR shines in access speed - something RAID0 tb drives don't match. Throughput != access speed.

62 cents/GB

meh...............................................................................................................................

I've paid $1 per gig for the 15k rpm SAS i think it is totally worth it. I also have a X-25M in a laptop and is quite fast but in terms of real world usage the SAS in RAID0(4) are quite close.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/seagate_1-5tb-mod/all/1/

For those interested, this seems like a good option.

Doesn't matter the 7200.11 still nowhere near the i/o performance of a VR. Oh wait the VR has almost 40% more i/o i don't think a simple short stroking will get u there. For the same reason a SAS 15k can't compete against a good SSD drive. I mean a single SSD do feel faster than 4x SAS in raid 0.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/IOMeter-2006.07.27,1034.html

Its not the read/write speed its the random access time.

1Tb drive is never going to come close to the random acess time of 300Gb Velociraptor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wuh?

Ugh.

What do you mean "Wuh? Ugh". Are you jumping on the insults bandwagon too?

He just said a 300GB basic hard drive will not have the performance of a 300 GB Velociraptor, let alone a 1TB. How exactly is "wuh ugh" a legitimate response?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

hope you get your drives before intel drop their SSD prices :D
Unless they drop their price, and fix the random write performance issues, I'd still rather have a raptor.

btw, deal appears dead for me. Won't take the coupon code.

in a sudden change of events, I received a shipped status today with an arrival date of the 21st.
Weird...

Back