Memory overwhelmed

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
yo I could use some help with setting up my memory for overclocking, I know this is not the overclocking section but this seems like the best place to post. Well my problem is when I overclock my CPU (E8400 @ 3.0GHz) to 3.3-3.6 GHz i have no trouble running CPU exclusive benchmarks but any RAM and CPU bench will fail, the problem is the timing is running to tight at 1:1 Ratio all though the ram is rated for 400MHz FSB, I read up DDR timing and tweaks but when I opened my BIOS I had a shit load of options I know nothing about, well I tried changing setting to the loss 400MHz setting from what i saw on CPUID, and the test failed even faster :(

Well i hate to wine in every ones ear about my problem but I can't find any direction with DDR2 and changing the timings, all Google give's me is DDR2 whole sales and BS like that :( and the DDR Thread here is a little out dated and hard to follow so I'm asking, no begging for some help, direction or a up-to-date thread or how to DDR2 something or other, anyway this is what I'm running:

-Asus P5Q Turbo MOBD
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 333FSB 45nm Xigmatek HDT S1283
-Corsair XMS2 2GB (x2) 400FSB
-Asus EAH4870 Dark Night TOP
-Antec Earthwatts EA 650 Watt

Hey and I'm sorry this is another dry post asking for help with no end in sight but I'm really hitting the wall on this issue and I'm now starting to think I need to buy faster RAM when my current RAM will give me the overclock that i want.

Thanks -Kato

Why don't you try Corsairs memory forums? Theres likely to be someone there that can help may even be a sticky for RAM settings.

When you raise your FSB to overclock your CPU, the RAM is running at the higher FSB speed as well. You can make it stable in a few ways. You can unlock the RAM/FSB, so the RAM runs at its intended (stock) speed, while the FSB runs at a higher speed to provide the overclock.

Alternatively, you can increase voltage to the RAM modules. This should be done with caution, as too much voltage can destroy memory.

Finally, you can try to run the RAM at a higher speed by slowing down timings - this gives the RAM modules more time to recover between operations, but it also reduces memory performance.

Your overclock is pretty mild, and the fact that your RAM is failing at such a mild OC is a bit disappointing in my opinion... You might be able to make it work, though. You should really consider posting this in the overclocking forum, because that's exactly where this question will get answered - better than I can.

Back