(2) Samsung 1.5TB 5400 RPM 32MB OEM For $200 Free shipping Newegg

HitmanZ

Gawd
Add two to cart to see the price. Free shipping and no rebates.
"Green" drive uses 3 high-density 500GB platters and lower rotational speed to reduce power consumption and heat. 3-year warranty.

Model
Brand SAMSUNG
Series Spinpoint F2EG
Model HD154UI
Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 1.5TB
RPM 5400 RPM
Cache 32MB
Average Seek Time 8.9ms
Average Latency 5.52ms
Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"

LINKY

I wouldn't have to delete a recording for quite a while with an extra 3 TB. The temptation is great.

I splurged on this, I was waiting for the WD 1TB Green drives to go on sale again but $66/TB is too good to pass up.

:mad: Right when I have to purchase a new phone and I don't have cash for both. Otherwise I would jump on this to replace the smaller drives I have running in my WHS box (a 300 GB and a 400 GB).

:mad: Right when I have to purchase a new phone and I don't have cash for both. Otherwise I would jump on this to replace the smaller drives I have running in my WHS box (a 300 GB and a 400 GB).

Get the cheapest phone you can and use the rest on harddrives. :D

HitmanZ said:
What is this "Linux" you talk about?

I built my own Linux file server instead of spending extra money on WHS. But I better shut up about that or I'll be called a Linux snob.

These are now the cheapest per GB on my list when you buy 2 or more.

I'd recommend buying at least 6 so that you have a good chance of getting a 20-pack box, and thus a manufacturer-recommended method of shipping.

I don't know who buys 1.5TB and 2TB drives for performance anyways... -_-

I'm sure that's argument's been around since before the first 10GB drive... Some day 2TB will be the 10GB drive of yesterday, too...

We all know performance goes up when the size of the drive goes up, assuming same amount of platters and rotational speed, since platter density increases...

That said, I sure am conflicted on this... These prices are getting to be too good to pass up, and I told myself to save electricity I wasn't going to run dedicated file servers anymore...

Well, plus I have at least a dozen space 750GB drives sitting around with nothing on them yet. :) Maybe I should fill up that 9TB of storage before even letting myself consider other drives...

Nice deal, I got the similar Seagate deal from Dell a while back but the drives are "normal power" and suck something like 10w at idle instead of around 3w. For WHS I'm much rather have these.

I was gonna jump on these till I saw "Green Edition".

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/terabyte-samsung-spinpoint,2026-6.html has some figures on the Samsung "Green" series.

If you wanted performance, I'd avoid these. Massive storage, I'd be all over them for that aspect, but thats about it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/terabyte-samsung-spinpoint,2026-8.html

And it also has its benefits (lower power and operating temps) which make it a superior storage drive.

rhouck said:
And it also has its benefits (lower power and operating temps) which make it a superior storage drive.

Exactly. When you're only dealing with one drive or two low power consumption/low-heat isn't that big of a deal.

However, if you talk about 10 of these (which you could get for $1000 on this deal) or more then power consumption becomes a huge deal - and when you put them all on RAID (or 5 and 5 or whatever you want to do) then performance is fine and you don't have to buy a huge power supply just to power it.

Plus, if you're dealing with a file server then even with gigabit ethernet over two ports you can only have a throughput of 250 megabytes a second at the most (2 gigabits). Meaning, that if you have a transfer over a large RAID 5 setup that unless you have 4 gigabit ports or fiber you'll fill the capacity of your network. And then you'd have to deal with the capacity between the fiber card and your motherboard and any other lag between the two.

Of course I'm sure everyone knows that though.

But I do have enough tucked away to get 10 of these drives. I just don't have enough stuff to fill 15 terabytes of data :)

Holy Cow! I just got 3tb of Storage for under $200!

Thank you Hitman! Im going to Raid 1 these bad boys for bulk storage!

Raid1 wouldn't give you bulk storage, it'd give you redundancy (mirror).

I wouldn't recommend Raid0 (striped for "bulk storage") for a storage drive though, unless you have something else doing backups.

NP thank you.

I actually fell in the quicksand and bought 2 of them (go figure, the op buying what he considers a good deal). I really don't need performance rather something really stable and reliable that can hold all my files without burning them onto dvd's which is a hassle really. I am also doing a mirror to make sure nothing happens.

I would get them if the brand wasn't Samsung. Something about Samsung HD just doesn't make me want to buy them.

Raid1 wouldn't give you bulk storage, it'd give you redundancy (mirror).

I wouldn't recommend Raid0 (striped for "bulk storage") for a storage drive though, unless you have something else doing backups.

Not raid 0, Raid 1.. I need Raid 1, 1.5tb of Backed-up, mirrored Storage. Perfect for me.

:)

Sorry if i didnt type that out clear. :)

ahh luke warm deal, I wish these were 7.2 or 10k drives.

Actually.. to my dismay,, vista wont support Software Raid 1.. Anyone know of a good, CHEAP raid 1 controller with 2 SATA ports?

OMG I NEED MONEY RIGHT NOW!
I wonder if anyone will buy my smaller drives

I would get them if the brand wasn't Samsung. Something about Samsung HD just doesn't make me want to buy them.

Too bad. Samsung HDDs are excellent.

Quiet, fast, and cool. It's just their warranty system that could use some work (I still haven't figured that out yet from their byzantine website :rolleyes)

I added 2 to my cart and it's coming out at $239.98. Some guy submitted a review yesterday that he got two for $166 after taxes. This deal still going on? Any more deals like this? I'm looking for a 1.5tb drive, and if they have a good deal for 2 i'd go for that too.

Back