CBHD Leads Market Share over Blu-ray in China

HardOCP News

[H] News
That new HD format launched in China earlier this year has already overtaken the Blu-ray format. This can’t be sitting well with the Blu-ray crew considering the size of the Chinese market and the fact the CBHD only has one studio behind it.

CBHD seems to be doing much better against rival Blu-ray than its ill fated predecessor HD DVD. A recent report by a Japanese news station looking at CBHD format and its competition with Blu-ray confirms CBHD has a 3% market share lead on Blu-ray. The CBHD format launched in the first half of 2009, Blu-ray launched in China mid 2008.

Just for the ill-informed, CBHD is the chinese clone of HD-DVD.

criccio - Thanks for the link. I found this very interesting:

CBHD will use the AVS audio and video codec, owned by the Chinese government. CBHD's developers claim the format contains more copy protection features and is part of a big push by China to fight piracy as well as cut down on royalty payments for foreign patents.

Again, interesting. I wonder CBHD doing well is a matter of availability. There's obviously a huge vested interest from the Chinese government in CBHD succeeding over other formats.

You know, I'm no fan of Sony, not in the least bit, but I would rather have a Sony format than multiple competing formats. Hopefully this CBHD thing can get stomped out sooner or later.

But if wikipedia is accurate, damn, you can't beat those prices. Does anyone know what bluray titles go for in China?

ThisIsTheNewSound - I'd expect that Blu Ray discs are cheap there as well. Everything is cheaper in emerging markets, places like China and India. Legal Windows and Office licenses cost far less than what we pay in the US. One big reason is because of rampant piracy, another one is that prices are adjusted for lower income (housing, food, everything else costs less in places like that).

Agreed I was a HD DVD fan, but the format war is over. The only thing worse than Blu Ray winning is no one winning and having 2 competing formats that do essentially the exact same thing.

ThisIsTheNewSound - I'd expect that Blu Ray discs are cheap there as well. Everything is cheaper in emerging markets, places like China and India. Legal Windows and Office licenses cost far less than what we pay in the US. One big reason is because of rampant piracy, another one is that prices are adjusted for lower income (housing, food, everything else costs less in places like that).

Well said, so since we have a two tier system here,rich and poor, shouldn't we have two prices for everything. I think we can start with the IRS and what they say is the start of the poverty level.Probably where the food stamps start. The rich can pay the full amount with out breaking a sweat and the poor can pay what the Chinese are paying for Office, $29.99.

Well said, so since we have a two tier system here,rich and poor, shouldn't we have two prices for everything. I think we can start with the IRS and what they say is the start of the poverty level.Probably where the food stamps start. The rich can pay the full amount with out breaking a sweat and the poor can pay what the Chinese are paying for Office, $29.99.

Someone getting food on my taxes shouldn't be wasting money on Office for their home.

The poverty level (hell, the middle class) here can't be compared with the same classes in those regions. It is a completely different ballgame in terms of what money gets you, that comparison just doesn't work here.

ThisIsTheNewSound - Something I forgot to mention in my post are games. Things like Starcraft and Diablo keys from China are cheap. There are places online you can buy those keys for only $4 a pop and then register them with your Battle.net account (it totally works). Its a far cry from what they still go for at retail over here. You can find the same with things like XBox Live points, prices like $35 for 4000 points (normally $50 over here), the list goes on.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

"as well as cut down on royalty payments for foreign patents"

This can only be a good thing. Royalty payments for formats are shit.

Sounds like this means diddly to anyone outside of China as its just the Chinese Govt trying to get a cut of the business and not pay out to foreign countries.
Sounds like great international relations....wants everyone else to buy their stuff and not to use anyone elses. Gotta love it.

Oh Well

Im pretty sure that any standard that starts with "China" will never ever take off in America....just saying.

BHD's developers claim the format contains more copy protection features and is part of a big push by China to fight piracy as well as cut down on royalty payments for foreign patents.[5]
Its not piracy if the government and corporations are doing the infringement! ROFL

Someone getting food on my taxes shouldn't be wasting money on Office for their home.

What should they be wasting their money on, Great Mighty Taxpayer?? Please enlighten us.

Sounds like this means diddly to anyone outside of China as its just the Chinese Govt trying to get a cut of the business and not pay out to foreign countries.
Sounds like great international relations....wants everyone else to buy their stuff and not to use anyone elses. Gotta love it.

Oh Well

My sarcastic tone overuse meter just registered off the charts.

Blu-Ray can suck it! Inferior crap.

Inferior to what? It can now do all of the special functions that HD-DVD could when it launched, it supports all of the same codecs, and it has higher capacity than any other optical storage format out right now. HD-DVD was better for a short period (I still own an HD-DVD player and media), but now that they are both the same as far as scripting and picture-in-picture, Blu Ray is the best because of the extra space.

All of that extra space allows for higher bitrate video and lossless audio. Hate Sony all you want but Blu Ray is the best home theater format out there, nothing comes even close.

That's pretty much it. Export your goods to everybody, keep everything you sell to your own population within the family. This is all about enforcing even harsher DRM while not paying for MPEG licensing.

Inferior to what? It can now do all of the special functions that HD-DVD could when it launched, it supports all of the same codecs, and it has higher capacity than any other optical storage format out right now. HD-DVD was better for a short period (I still own an HD-DVD player and media), but now that they are both the same as far as scripting and picture-in-picture,.

Please..."It can now do all of the special functions that HD-DVD could when it launched"
When Blu-Ray was announced the winner of the format war it couldn't do half of what HD could from day one. Further you say today it can, not true the cheaper players can't even play all of the discs for one. Then you have the issue where some players have Ethernet and can do the scripting and some can't.

From launch, a year prior to Blu-Ray, HD DVD had all of this working perfectly and all players had the same features and support. There is no proof that the bigger size of Blu-Ray allows for higher quality.... more extras, more previews, more bs yes.... is the space used for better quality no way. These are the people selling shitty encoded mpeg at launch. Blu-Ray is all hype. They killed the superior format HD DVD. Lets not forget that most importantly, to a smart consumer, HD DVD was region coding free. For someone that doesn't understand that means you could buy or import a dvd from anywhere and play it no problem....You can never do this with Blu-Ray, because they make more money off you like this. Educate yourself.

Please..."It can now do all of the special functions that HD-DVD could when it launched"
When Blu-Ray was announced the winner of the format war it couldn't do half of what HD could from day one. Further you say today it can, not true the cheaper players can't even play all of the discs for one. Then you have the issue where some players have Ethernet and can do the scripting and some can't.

From launch, a year prior to Blu-Ray, HD DVD had all of this working perfectly and all players had the same features and support. There is no proof that the bigger size of Blu-Ray allows for higher quality.... more extras, more previews, more bs yes.... is the space used for better quality no way. These are the people selling shitty encoded mpeg at launch. Blu-Ray is all hype. They killed the superior format HD DVD. Lets not forget that most importantly, to a smart consumer, HD DVD was region coding free. For someone that doesn't understand that means you could buy or import a dvd from anywhere and play it no problem....You can never do this with Blu-Ray, because they make more money off you like this. Educate yourself.

Lol, wow. It's sad to see you believe everything you just said.:eek:

Oh Well

Also a good way of controing what people can view.

CBHD will have a short life span.

Not if all other formats are banned in country.

Well, like I said, avoiding royalties is a good enough reason to make their own format. With business, you either pay for someone else to build something for you, or you build it yourself. Calculate the costs and figure it out.

I disagree. For those of us who use HTPCs I believe BR to be the superior format (maybe for those with set-tops too. Don't know really, haven't used set-tops in years). I love the high quality lossless audio found on the great majority of discs and the whole region protection thing can be defeated with a simple app, namely AnyDVD. I still have HD-DVDs myself but I have to say that if a movie was out on both formats I'd pick the BR any day of the week. E-AC3 just doesn't cut it over DTS-HD.

I disagree. For those of us who use HTPCs I believe BR to be the superior format (maybe for those with set-tops too. Don't know really, haven't used set-tops in years). I love the high quality lossless audio found on the great majority of discs and the whole region protection thing can be defeated with a simple app, namely AnyDVD. I still have HD-DVDs myself but I have to say that if a movie was out on both formats I'd pick the BR any day of the week. E-AC3 just doesn't cut it over DTS-HD.

Code:
Codecs

Blu-Ray  	HD DVD
MPEG-2
Microsoft Video Codec 1 (aka VC1, WMV HD, etc.)
H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC
Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, linear PCM
Optional: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD

MPEG-2
H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC
Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, linear PCM, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
Optional: DTS HD

Hmmm?

Second group of description is HD DVD. Forum software doesn't get along with well formatting.

I don't see this CBHD thing going anywhere further than China itself

These format wars are part of what drove me to stop buying movies. I used to buy one or two dvds a week but now the experience is kinda spoiled for me. Hulu, netflix and digital downloads have been working great for me the last year or so and I found myself buying maybe 1 or 2 bluray discs in the last six months.

Comapared to who?
If compared to you...then no :rolleyes:
More fallacies?

You said people should waste their money getting a job. No one said anything about jobless people, for one. And, secondly, even if it was jobless people there was being specifically talked about, you answered the question retardedly. I mean, just read the question and your answer back to yourself using the same smug-ass, elitist voice you typed it in and you'll facepalm yourself.

Most of Chinas population are poor farmers with no funds for luxury like videoplayers...

They don't want to pay foreign licensing fees for BluRay.

Get off your fucking high horse, I had HD-DVD before I had Blu Ray. There are several discs like 300 and MI:3 that I bought specifically on HD-DVD instead of Blu Ray because of the additional PiP features they had. I'm fully aware, and I'm also aware of the BS and FUD in your post.

Take some time and educate yourself:

When Blu-Ray was announced the winner of the format war it couldn't do half of what HD could from day one.

Incorrect, Blu Ray spec 1.1 discs had already been out for months before HD-DVD threw in the towel.

Further you say today it can, not true the cheaper players can't even play all of the discs for one.

Wrong, every Blu Ray player can play every Blu Ray disc. Now, older players that aren't 1.1 spec compatible can't do things like PiP, but they can still play every movie, that is mandatory. Furthermore, players that can't do advanced features are only those from the first eight months or so BR was out. Recent cheaper players can actually do more in this respect than those older expensive ones since they are all 1.1 spec.

This quote of your is facepalmginly awful and embarrassing:

There is no proof that the bigger size of Blu-Ray allows for higher quality.... more extras, more previews, more bs yes.... is the space used for better quality no way.

Again, incorrect. Now that studios don't have to worry about encoding for the lowest common denominator (HD-DVD with its reduced storage space), they no longer have to worry about limiting the size of their VC-1 or MPEG4 video files for both formats. The result is bigger video files due to less compression, which means even better picture quality. Furthermore, even when HD-DVD and Blu Ray were being sold side by side in stores, Blu Ray still had the advantage of multitrack lossless or uncompressed audio, something that there was rarely ever room for on an HD-DVD.

Again, Blu Ray has been up to feature spec with HD-DVD ever since Fall of 2007 when 1.1 launched. Everything else minus region locking being the same, the difference is storage space. You have more storage, you use less compression in your encodings, bottom line. I do not see this as a negative, but then again it looks like you're blinded by irrational hatred of a company even though they have superior technology.

I'm no fan of Sony, they do lots of stupid shit but one thing they do have is an excellent optical storage medium. If BR was less capable than HD-DVD (and it was for a few months) then I'd have plenty to complain about. Fortunately that stuff got fixed nearly two years ago. I'm very happy and excited by it.

And because I know some moron here is going to contest that point, yes, greater storage capacity is superior technology.

I love the high quality lossless audio found on the great majority of discs and the whole region protection thing can be defeated with a simple app, namely AnyDVD. I still have HD-DVDs myself but I have to say that if a movie was out on both formats I'd pick the BR any day of the week. E-AC3 just doesn't cut it over DTS-HD.

QFT

Get off your fucking high horse, I had HD-DVD before I had Blu Ray. There are several discs like 300 and MI:3 that I bought specifically on HD-DVD instead of Blu Ray because of the additional PiP features they had. I'm fully aware, and I'm also aware of the BS and FUD in your post.

Take some time and educate yourself:

Incorrect, Blu Ray spec 1.1 discs had already been out for months before HD-DVD threw in the towel.

Wrong, every Blu Ray player can play every Blu Ray disc. Now, older players that aren't 1.1 spec compatible can't do things like PiP, but they can still play every movie, that is mandatory. Furthermore, players that can't do advanced features are only those from the first eight months or so BR was out. Recent cheaper players can actually do more in this respect than those older expensive ones since they are all 1.1 spec.

This quote of your is facepalmginly awful and embarrassing:

Again, incorrect. Now that studios don't have to worry about encoding for the lowest common denominator (HD-DVD with its reduced storage space), they no longer have to worry about limiting the size of their VC-1 or MPEG4 video files for both formats. The result is bigger video files due to less compression, which means even better picture quality. Furthermore, even when HD-DVD and Blu Ray were being sold side by side in stores, Blu Ray still had the advantage of multitrack lossless or uncompressed audio, something that there was rarely ever room for on an HD-DVD.

Again, Blu Ray has been up to feature spec with HD-DVD ever since Fall of 2007 when 1.1 launched. Everything else minus region locking being the same, the difference is storage space. You have more storage, you use less compression in your encodings, bottom line. I do not see this as a negative, but then again it looks like you're blinded by irrational hatred of a company even though they have superior technology.

I'm no fan of Sony, they do lots of stupid shit but one thing they do have is an excellent optical storage medium. If BR was less capable than HD-DVD (and it was for a few months) then I'd have plenty to complain about. Fortunately that stuff got fixed nearly two years ago. I'm very happy and excited by it.

And because I know some moron here is going to contest that point, yes, greater storage capacity is superior technology.

How much noticeable difference is there between an HDDVD encoded movie and a BluRay movie? I'm gonna say none at these resolutions, unless you are talking complete series' being on a single disc.

Also:

Code:
Codecs

Blu-Ray

MPEG-2
H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC
Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, linear PCM
Optional: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD

HD DVD

MPEG-2
H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC
Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, linear PCM, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
Optional: DTS HDD

I'm with ya on that! I'm on SSDI & am ALLOWED for the month what many of you make in a week! A single person is "allowed " to have $767 per month, anything over that you have to send to medicaid (medicaid spend down) because it's considered "EXCESSIVE income"! Excuse me? I must need a trip to the optometrist, cause I sure can't find this excess they speek of. That amounts to $9204 for the year. Doesn't matter if your SSDI is $5k per month, you only get to keep $767 of it. That and you have to keep your checking/savings under $2k. Yes it does get raised every year, but not by much, maybe $25 or so. I think that there should be a system where you provide proof of SSDI/SSI & get a lower rate on goods. True, I get food stamps, but that still doesn't bring it up to $1k per month. I'm at mid 80's wages (~$4.42 hr). I bet the out of touch bureaucrat who came up with this figure couldn't get by for a week on that amount (probably wouldn't last the weekend).

Here's the poverty level chart for ya:
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml
I'm allowed $1626 LESS than poverty level cap, yet I have "excess income", when my total before spenddown is $462 over (shouldn't that equate to $462 in "excess income, not $1848?.:rolleyes:

That's bureaucracy for ya.

I never thought of it, but since you mention it...I'm all for tiered pricing (as if that will ever happen, at least not in a beneficial way to the people).

/rant

As BluRay is much more expensive than CBHD, this is no surprise. And well that's China, so I would not expect them really being able to or even wanting to pay for BluRay.
I find it also somewhat amusing that Warner Bros is supporting CBHD now. At least they have a better change they get paid for movies in that way.

Back