Desoldering toys

Mach

Limp Gawd
New SFF mod in the works that needs 200W of power with no standard PSU. I've got a 200 DC-DC power supply from Mini-box and they're biggest AC-DC brick at 110W but that isn't going to get it.

I need more pow-ah. There are 2 sources for 200W power bricks that I've found, the Dell DA-2 and the Xbox 360. The Dell DA-2 is giving me no love with the DC-DC power supply. Apparently it's a known problem over at the AVSforums. So that leaves the Xbox 360 and it's proprietary plug.

And we come to the subject of this post, I need that plug receptacle off the Xbox 360 motherboard (its a trashed one that I got off ebay).
IMG_5391.JPG

Normally I'd wail on it with solder, a solder sucker, and my soldering iron cranked to "11" but my success has been so-so doing it that way. Given the problem that Langer had, I didn't have high hopes.
IMG_5390.JPG

Enter one of these purchased from The Game Train
IMG_5372.JPG

It cost me about $65US including shipping.
IMG_5373.JPG

The digital gauge on it says its putting out about between 800-900C cranked. Not sure if I buy that but I can't argue with results. It melts regular solder like ice. I mixed some regular solder on the back of the pins to get everything flowing.
IMG_5377.JPG

A solder sucker and a few minutes later.
IMG_5382.JPG

:)
IMG_5383.JPG

Not too bad for a first time. The plastic certainly took some heat. I mucked around with too much at first but its yards better than my soldering iron attempts.
IMG_5385.JPG

Cleaned up the solder bridges

IMG_5388.JPG

Closer….
IMG_5389.JPG

Now I need a bigger solder sucker. I'm going to try to pull all the caps etc off next. Hints & tips from you re-flow experts appreciated.

Ever considered a desoldering station? :)

Nice job desoldering that connector, BTW :D

Thanks Elledan, considered one but can't find one for less than $65US. Any ideas?

Spend some extra money & get a used hakko 47x. I have a 470b myself, works like a charm on 4-layer boards with planes. Really, you should've bought a desolder station in the first place, too late for that I suppose though.

Desoldiering Iron I've never used a desoldering station, I have used one of these before and they are simply AMAZING! Pulls vaccum while the tip melts the solder.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back