Apollo Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month — March 2009

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

Apollo Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month — March 2009

Please join me in congratulating Apollo for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for March 2009. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has 975 active folders. Apollo is currently ranked #8 on our team, and he has 22.5 million points. In June and July of 2009 he produced about 1.8 million points per month. He is ranked #110 in the world.

He is scheduled to overtake ROC and FLECOM in about two years. He has two people on his threats list: (1) beekeeper([H]ardOCP) and (2) Axdrenalin. However, those two guys are eight months or more away before the overtake. This should give Apollo plenty of time to adjust the settings on his home folding farm.

Basic Information:

How many F@H points do you have?

22.5 Million.

How about United Devices and WCG points?

I have no involvement in either project.

How many boxen do you have?

Currently, there are 7 systems (6 cases) and another system but it is down.

Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

I have no borgs, so all of my production comes from my home machines.

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

I believe it was spring of 2001, but my memory is a little sketchy (which comes with age I suppose) and it may have been as far back as late 2000.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

Same time as above. I never folded for any other team.

What is your average F@H points per month?

ATM, it varies between 55,000 and 60,000 points per day.

Did you contribute to United Devices? How about WCG?

No, I didn’t participate in UD, and have no plans to get involved in WCG. However, this does not mean that I will not participate in other projects in the future. I’m intending to try some other projects to help the [H] Commandoes.

Any other DC projects?

I only participated in G@H in 2001, and if I recall correctly, I achieved the #6 spot on the team when Stanford cancelled the project.

What operating system do you primarily use?

As a host OS, Windows XP is installed on most of my machines. I have Windows 2000 running on two or three machines and Windows Vista on my laptop. I tried Win 7 for a couple of weeks and liked it a lot but I was experiencing many problems with Vmware. I’m intending to reinstall it again perhaps in the next couple of months when the release candidate is slated for download. This OS has a lot of promise.

If you use Linux, how familiar with Linux are you?

I have Linux (Fluxbuntu) currently installed on many VMs, but I’m not overly familiar with it besides its installation and getting around in the environment on a basic level. I tried many distros before finally settling with this one. I don’t recommend a Fluxbox-based distro for anyone wishing to get their feet wet with Linux. It is very user-unfriendly and hardly anything about it is similar to a Windows environment.

How many boxen do you have running the following clients?

Keep in mind, the following client breakdown is not the optimal setup for my current list of hardware, and I'm going to be reconfiguring things.

regular client —
about 14, but this number changes a lot and is usually less
SMP client — 15 but I've been down several clients for a long time due to a hardware conflict
GPU client — 9 GPU clients (one Ati and 8 nVidia clients)
PS3 client — none so far

Have you tried Affinity Changer (AC)? If so, what were your results?

Yes, last year I tried both the standard and newer version that supports 8-cores. In both cases, I saw no discernable difference and stopped using it after a short while.

Have you tried using Virtual Machines (VM’s)? If so, what were your results? Please explain your VM setup if you have used VM’s.

Absolutely. Currently there is no better approach to run both the GPU client and SMP client. I run one VM for every two CPU cores on a system except for my primary system where I need at least two free cores, and greater available memory for a host of other applications. This is still the basic configuration I employ even if an entire core is allocated for a GPU client, which in reality reduces the amount of available CPU cores to a bit fewer than 2 cores per SMP VM.

Personal Information:

Name:
James

Greater Montreal metropolitan area, Quebec, Canada

currently unemployed

Hobbies:
general reading, writing, history, philosophy, music, current events, most sciences, computer technology, etc.

What is your [H]ard OCP username?

APOLLO

What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

Apollo is the Greek god of music, knowledge, prophecy and the arts.

Want to link to a picture of yourself?

Regrettably, I don’t have a recent digital picture and my digicam is of a 90s vintage.

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

It is a great honor and privilege to have won this award.

Why do you think you were chosen?

I believe my long-standing presence in the forum is one of the main reasons. Perhaps not winning several recent votes was another reason, but this is only a guess. Mind you, I never expected to win this year despite that, and was shocked when it happened in March.

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

By far the biggest reason is furthering our understanding of biological processes, for the development of new treatments to combat debilitating diseases. Essentially, to improve the quality of life and civilization overall.

Why do you DC for the [H]ard [H]orde at [H]ard|OCP?

[H]ard|OCP was one of the first hardware sites I visited from way back in the 90s, and thought that would be a good choice for a DC team membership.

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

No doubt, it would be cancer, but I’m interested in all kinds of possible medical benefits this research could provide us in the future. I’ll be pleased for any kind of advance in our knowledge.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

Well, I'm actually a very simple and ordinary guy. There’s not much I can say that might really surprise or interest anyone. This team is composed of many extraordinary individuals. I think I'm a rather regular person by comparison.

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I don't see it changing much in a year providing no new major developments at Stanford occur, which would prompt restructuring things. Beyond that it's hard to say.

Are you involved in any other special DC activities?

Not any to date, besides helping around the forum to the best of my abilities.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

No, I borged my brother’s and friend’s computers at the beginning of the decade, but I quickly discovered that unless borged computers are working 24/7, one will see little to no benefits. Other factors could have a major impact on success as well. One big thing that hampers borging is heat production. We are leaving it up to the discretion of the owners of these systems to operate them as they wish. Thus, knowledge whether or not cooling systems installed on borged computers are up to the task is an absolute must, even if their owners don’t run them all the time.

Moreover, like any folding hardware, borgs necessitate more frequent maintenance and that requires trips one would not have to make otherwise. Furthermore, folding reduces the expected lifetime of components. I don’t desire or wish to burden someone else with all the inherent issues that come along with folding for a small additional amount of production. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me. Work borgs are another matter but there are a number of more serious associated concerns, which have been emphasized here and elsewhere several times in the past.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

In the near future, I see the sub-forum progressively improving. With the annual Chimp Challenge here, there should be a lot more activity. For the long term, I expect many new faces following new recruitment drives. We’ll see how the state of the economy is in another year. I expect it will largely effect the number of people who can maintain folding at their present levels. There are positive indicators, so we shall see.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

The subforum is very engaging and in all honesty, it's really difficult to suggest improvements to an already high standard among DC forums. If I come up with any, I’ll definitely post about my ideas. Come to think about it, someone recently suggested holding contests where members can benefit from the opportunity to win big prizes, but I seem to recall that has already been done, unless I'm mistaken or confusing it with something else at the [H].

What challenges have you faced in your F@H efforts?

Keeping up with the frequent reconfiguring of systems in both hardware and software areas. Just to stay up to date with all the changes in clients and WUs Stanford releases is probably the biggest challenge I face. The next biggest challenge is maintaining my systems so they continue operating at optimum performance levels. Other challenges include maintaining competitive levels and streamlining my small farm. I think most folders can identify with all of these things at one time or another.

Are you married, single, etc?

Unquestionably single, and try to avoid relationships whenever I can. I'm just not cut out for them. I don’t like complex emotional entanglements, and it's nearly impossible to avoid them with the opposite sex. Too many problems in the past, and I would prefer to keep my bachelor status for the foreseeable future. So, unless the heavens open up with a panoply of rainbows, and I hear the melodious voices of angels singing it will likely stay this way.

How much do you spend on F@H? If you consider equipment, electricity, and other activities that support F@H... how much of your life has DC’ing consumed?

It’s nearly impossible to quantify the expense because it fluctuates a lot. In the past, it was a significant amount. Excluding the occasional necessary repair, replacement or upgrade, it isn’t too bad if one is able to apply practical limitations. I don’t plan on making any large additions or upgrades this year to my farm. In overall terms, folding hasn't consumed too much of my life since I tend to have quite a bit of spare time available. That having been said, I could see how some might not have that liberty with family obligations and oppressive work schedules.

Do you have friends, family, or neighbors that know about your F@H activities? What do they think?

Hardly anyone I know really comprehends the way F@H works, i.e., what protein folding actually is or how our better understanding of it can eventually help humanity. Therefore, I seldom raise the topic in conversations. Aside from the occasional browsing, none of my friends and family is computer savvy at all to begin with. I don’t socialize with people who know much about computers, so my DC involvement is far from common knowledge unfortunately.

What do you have hiding underneath your bed?

LOL, lot’s of dust.

What is the heaviest piece of furniture in your home?

LOL, don’t know for sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if my computer desk is close to the heaviest. Besides all the equipment there is also a bookcase built into it and it's loaded to capacity.

Do you think that your folding activities might improve your chances with the opposite sex?

No, and I could see it even becoming a hindrance if it consumes an inordinate amount of resources (time and money). Folding and women don’t mix, IMO, unless you're involved with a technician, LOL.

Do you game? If so, how long and what types do you prefer? Consoles or PC?

No, it has been a very long time ago when I played any kind of computer game. I think the last time I touched a game was back in the beginning of the decade, probably when I played Civ II or Baldur’s Gate. Consequently, my knowledge in this area is quite limited, and the only reason I have kept myself abreast with new advances in GPU technology is largely due to F@H, which is a good thing all around because the research granted secondary benefits of increased technical knowledge. I think GPU folding has been one of the greatest developments ever in DC, and hope it will accelerate medical research by a huge amount as a result.

<<<end of part one>>>

<<<start of part two>>>

What is your idea of the perfect vacation? Where, when, and how long? What would you do?

I can't think of anything better than a cross-continental European vacation by visiting every country from Ireland to Russia. That would certainly fit the bill but it&#8217;s just a dream, and I doubt I&#8217;ll ever have the ability to embark upon such an epic journey.

If you could have dinner with two or three people from history, living or dead, who would you choose and why?

Hmm, Alexander the Great would definitely be one historical figure, and Queen Elizabeth I would certainly be another. These individuals are two of the most interesting people I have read about in my historical studies. Of course, there are others, but I think they would be at the top of my list. Near the top would also be Lincoln and Gandhi. Believe me, there are other notable individuals and I don&#8217;t want to disappoint any history buffs out there if I omitted some significant personages or personal favorites.

Anything you can say about your signature? I like it! &#8220;Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope.&#8221;

The signature came from the fourth season of Babylon 5 from an episode called &#8220;The Exercise of Vital Powers.&#8221; The episode title is part of a quote from the Greek philosopher, Aristotle.

Did I forget to ask you anything? Is there anything else you would like to add?

I think that pretty much sums it up unless there is something you or anyone else would like to know.

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it. Keep on folding! Fold on For The Cure! For the [H]orde!

Thank you for the honor of winning the award and for participating in this interview. It was my pleasure.

Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC&#8217;er of the month.

It is a rewarding experience and I wish the best for all forthcoming award winners!

.:D

Congrats again APOLLO on a well deserved victory.

And a big thanks to Pocatello for all the work that you do behind the scenes to make these happen.

Congrats again APOLLO on a well deserved victory.
Thanks, Alan, I really appreciate it. :)

And a big thanks to Pocatello for all the work that you do behind the scenes to make these happen.
Yes, thank you Pocatello, it was an honor to do the interview. :cool:

Congrats Apollo. It is interesting to read about the personal aspect of the members here and you are very deserving. Fold on brother.

Congrats man, well deserved. Great interview as well, good stuff.

Beers and tamales, Fold On!!!

Congrats Apollo it was about time.

Beers and Tamales for everyone:D

Congrats APOLLO! Although at about 60,000 PPD I don't think I would say you have a small farm. ;)

"Other challenges include maintaining competitive levels and streamlining my small farm."

Congrats APOLLO! Although at about 60,000 PPD I don't think I would say you have a small farm. ;)

"Other challenges include maintaining competitive levels and streamlining my small farm."
Yeah, I could see how that might seem a bit strange, LOL. On the other hand, ~60k PPD isn't what it used to be and I'm still in the lower rungs of the top 10 with that production. :eek:

Since June, I've been running only 6 systems and they're inside 5 chassis. My farm appears small because there aren't that many boxes around, and some are placed in different rooms. In the beginning of the year before the vote, I was running up to 9 systems if I include my laptop. My farm has diminished in size even though my production has steadily increased. I guess 6 systems in 5 boxes is borderline small/moderate in farm size. I always have people like Sunin, lassiterb or Tiger in mind when I think of large farms. :p

Back