Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan. Wow!!!

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
Well, I finally got my Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm that i've been anxiously waiting for all week from newegg. After a bunch of research, I decided this was my best bet for good airflow and low noise among all the 120mm fans I research.

This fan was going to be the primary cooling fan in "Black Ice" that pushes air across the video card, memory and northbridge heatsink to help cool, so I wanted a fan with a good CFM rating with decent static pressure, at least 40CFM. But I also wanted something alot quieter then my crappy Antec Triflo fan which at medium speed, puts out more noise then airflow and at low speed, it doesn't push hardly any air, at least not good for me needs.

So after about minutes of swapping out, I fired it up and ..... holy crap! I could barely hear the thing spool up! I was just dumbfounded on how quiet this thing is! Its little more then a gentle "wwwwwssshh" a few inches from my ear! And the airflow was very nice and steady, an amazing difference between my Antec Triflo at medium speed!

Consider me on impressed Gentle Typhoon owner! :cheers:

typhoon.jpg

typhoon4.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed, I don't have any myself (yet) but I have a friend with some, I was never to sure about them (being BB and all) but once I heard them, I knew what my next fans were going to be.

Just wish the prices would come down. Right now they're some of the most expensive fans. On xtremesystems, I read they're the equivalent of $9 in Japan.

Great choice. Well worth the money. These are quiet and move lots of air.

They can still be had from JabTech for $14.99, granted no free shipping, but they don't charge an arm and a leg like newegg does on fans, and if you get 3 or more you get them for $13.99.

Yup. I got 3 from Jab-tech. I got the 800rpm ones. Very nice fans. I had S-Flex before. Now my PSU sound like a jet engine comparatively and I am replacing it.

They had better be good. Scythe has a pretty good track record when it comes to dependable fans with good noise to airflow characteristics, and the GT's predecessor, the s-flex series, was rated highly. I have mine undervolted and am quite happy with their performance so far.

Coolermaster R4's are great fans too.

I liked my R4 when I got it, now I've realized it's the loudest fan I have (granted it is pulling air through a mediocre dust filter) while having the same cfm as the generic LL fans that came with my case. Has a neato looking red LED though.

They had better be good. Scythe has a pretty good track record when it comes to dependable fans with good noise to airflow characteristics, and the GT's predecessor, the s-flex series, was rated highly. I have mine undervolted and am quite happy with their performance so far.

GT is not a successor, they cater to different crowds. Although I do expect GT to replace most of s-flex's silence oriented roles in the years to come.

Now, a GT with FDB would be perfect though :p

Anyone have the 1850 version? I'm just curious is it any louder than 1450 by a lot. Was planning to replace my case fans and possibly my Noctua NF-P12 fans on my cpu cooler.

83 cubic feet per hour works out to 48.8 CFM. That's not bad, I suppose, but based on this thread I'd expected much more.

I've got this 4-pack of Cooler Master R4s for $10 that are rated at 44.7CFM @ 19dB. So if you want to save some cash, you might want to check these out. I know some of you don't like them, but I can't hear them over anything else in my system, but that's good because right now my 4870 sounds like a jet engine. Maybe they'll seem loud later down the road. Only using 2 of them, though, so maybe not.

83 cubic feet per hour works out to 48.8 CFM. That's not bad, I suppose, but based on this thread I'd expected much more.

I've got this 4-pack of Cooler Master R4s for $10 that are rated at 44.7CFM @ 19dB. So if you want to save some cash, you might want to check these out. I know some of you don't like them, but I can't hear them over anything else in my system, but that's good because right now my 4870 sounds like a jet engine. Maybe they'll seem loud later down the road. Only using 2 of them, though, so maybe not.

You can not go by the mfg's rating, they are all jokes, I have used those fans before and they don't come anywhere close to the 1200rpm Slipstream fans for CFM to noise.

Would a Scythe Gentle Typhoon be suitable as a CPU heatsink fan? Which RPM version would you go with?

Would a Scythe Gentle Typhoon be suitable as a CPU heatsink fan? Which RPM version would you go with?
Yes, it would be good to use as a CPU fan. The version you go with depends on what kind of balance you want between noise and airflow. The medium-speed version is the best balance between the two.

Back