List of 32" 1080p LCDs (TV)

bencho

2[H]4U
UPDATED* up to Post # 8

Hey,

Just wanted to start a list of 32" 1080p LCDs. I'm currently shopping for one for my room to use as my main. I'll be updating with people's replies.. maybe this will be my first sticky :)
Anyways, some questions and points:

Moving from a 24" Sammy so I'll really be missing my 120 pixels :(
PRICE: 30" cost waay too much right now. I don't have a G to spend on it.
RESOLUTION: Resolutions is glorious. BUT it requires an equally glorious setup to run games at. (See PRICE) I'll find a way to deal with my missing 120 pixels. I'll throw my 245bw in portrait though~

What is the closest I can sit from it without being overwhelmed?
DISTANCE = 3.1 X Panel Height... 32" = approx 1.4 meters = 4.5 feet. = 54 inches
-----But what about for regular PC viewing? Is 2 feet or less ok on the eyes when gaming or working?

Which one have people been purchasing?
LG-32LG70 Panel == Sharp-LC32D62U Panel

Which one has best working response time, little to no ghosting? Reading Specs can only prove so much.
?

Thanks for those who contribute!
Special Thanks to:
--Reimu Post #5

Comments? Reviews? Personal reviews? Help add to this list please!
I don't like Sony; I feel they are overpriced-Can get better if I'm going to pay THAT much. There was a saying I read somewhere that said:
"Sony's are like Jessica Alba, Aesthetically pleasing but lacking in functionality" or something to that extent

Samsung
LN32B530 6ms
LN32B550 6ms
LN32B640 4ms
LN32B650 4ms

Sharp LC32D62U 6ms == LG 32LG70 6ms (Same Panel)

Phillips
32PFL6704D

Panasonic
TCL32G1

Toshiba
Regza 32"

Vizio... shudder

Last edited:
I dont know how the prices are now a days since I bought my dell 30" a while ago but I would highly recommend going for the 2560x1600 resolution over 1920. The resolution makes everything you do on the computer so much nicer.

for HD material the viewing distance is 3.1x picture height(panel height), so for a 32" it is about 1.4 meters.

If you think you would miss the extra pixels, why not go for a 30" monitor?

There are some reasons why you wouldn't want a 30".

30" drives at 2560x1600 and the gain of resolution is offset by the loss of TV tuner. A 30" 1080p has the advantage of being able to accept multiple sources and function as an AV hub whereas the 30 inchers cannot.

The costs for getting a 32" 1080p is under $700 after tax nowadays, so that's to be considered too.

Running games at 2560x1600 is one thing that also made me think otherwise about getting a 30 incher. Turn up all the eye candy is almost an obligation if you are running at such a sweet resolution...

30" is IPS whereas the 32" 1080ps would be PVA mostly. It goes without saying that after calibration, the Dells and the Gateway would outperform the HDTVS in color reproduction. There are S-IPS LG displays for 32" I think... although that's kind of a rarity.

(I opted dual monitor with 32" 1080P main display and 24" 2408wfp as secondary instead of a 3008wfp)

Last edited:
The 32" LG70 is the same panel as the Sharp, I tried one and returned it. I would have kept the Panasonic but for an issue where it would not display my desktop from a cold boot on my GTX260 over HDMI.

What is the closest I can sit from it without being overwhelmed?
[/COLOR]
DISTANCE = 3.1 X Panel Height... 32" = approx 1.4 meters = 4.5 feet. = 54 inches
-----But what about for regular PC viewing? Is 2 feet or less ok on the eyes when gaming or working?

3.1x for 1080. for these monitors that would mean 1:1 scan line is to pixel mapping. The point is, any closer and a human eye in good condition will manage to descry the pixel structure.

Gaming should be pretty much the same, perhaps a little closer. I wouldn't want to use a TV as a monitor for reasons such as non-defeatable edge enhancement and bad primary colours, as is the case for reds in the Panasonic models.

I see... That would indeed suck if I could notice all the little pixels. Would drive me nuts.

Thing is, my desk is not that wide, nor deep. I planned on using a 32" as my main for everything. My 24" just doesn't cut it when viewing movies from 5 feet away, but it's great when I'm sitting in front of my desk. I'd move it to the side in portrait or something. What would a solution be then? I can get some pics of my room when I get back there this weekend if that helps with some placement ideas. Only thing I can think of would be to find a little tabletop to extend my distance from the 32".

are u against a wall?
keep your 24 and add an hdtv with a cheap wall mount above it for movies/tv etc?
unless u were planning to sell ur current 24. then i dunno.

I can show you my setup.

I got a LC-32GP3U with a 2408wfp. I didn't go wall mount since I'd rather like the swiveling base. I initially thought that I need to use the 32" + 24" like bifocal and switch back and forth depending on what I do, but it turns out that the dot pitch on the 1080p at 32" didn't bother me, so I simply use the two together.

Last edited:
I've been hearing good things about the LG 32LH30, especially in terms of input lag. Can anyone here second that?

I am against the wall and have another wall to my immediate left. I'm in an apartment so Wall Mounting is NOT an option :( Last thing I need is my landlord taking my security. He is a tough cookie to deal with and I'm having problems with him already.

If the dot pitch on a 32" 1080p isn't too bad at about 2 feet then I wouldn't mind. I plan to have a similar setup like yours Reimu but with the 32 directly in front and the 24 somewhere else. When I get pictures of my current set up, up.. you will see my lack of space predicament >.< Or I could just be organization FAIL haha

My Sharp Aquos LC32GP3U is infinitely better as a monitor than my Panasonic 32LZ800.

Samsung is OK except for one thing...Panel lottery. If you wind up with Chi Mei's MVA, you'd be having some good grief.

I'm not sure why you are saying the LG and the Sharp are the same panel as they are both manufacturer of Panels. If you have some research that implies that they are I would love to read it.

I bought and used the Sharp for about a week before I returned it with problems. I got a black screen with a red line on two of the Sharps. My mother own a 42 inch sharp LCD and it is execellent.

After I had the issue with the second sharp I went and purchased the 32LG70 and love it. I rarely use it as a pc monitor but when I do it is absolutely wonderful.

I've read a little about the 32B6000. It seems to get mix reviews relative to the 32B650 (at least by places like cnet). It uses a little less power (30%?) due to LED backlight; but is rather pricey. Don't know about input lag.

I'm looking at the 32LE700UN (sharp's LED). Not many folks have it so havent' heard too much but the price is a bit better (approx $800; so it fits between the 32B550 and 32B650). One prof. calibrator found skin tons a bit unnatural and had hard time adjust the colours to get a good match (this was on teh 52 inch model)

I'm also interested in the Sharp LED if someone else has more information

bump I'm looking into a 32" 1080P for a monitor as well...

but my budget is like 500 max :(

Just got a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U3Y8PE

$500 approx

praying for a good panel...

Stay well clear of the ASV panels. The odd pixel structure is unsuitable for viewing texts via PC.

I seriously recommend the Samsung B550, but make sure it has AUO's A-MVA panel (cos the 32" 1080p S-PVA is known to case motion smear due to overdrive error).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/toshiba-32rv635db-32rv635d-20090818158.htm

Is it possible to tell which panel I get without opening the box?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey,

let us know how that model is. I am actually considering the exact same model!
if u can test for input lag, contrast, and the whole 9 yards it would be great to see a review of this~

As for panel.. i don't think so. It's just lottery and u can tell by looking at the label on the back i believe; after you open it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001U3Y8PE

on amazon there is a samsung deal going on, buy an eligible LCD TV and the aquos bd-hp22u (must both be bought from the AMAZON STORE) and you get a $200 discount. Coupon code ZHR75S34 for another $50 off. Funny thing is that the 32B550 is not on the list of eligible TV's but it worked anyway. I tried most of the other TV's not on the list and none of them worked...

642, I'll pawn off the bd player for a good chunk of change to bring the TV to about 500.

I'll do my best to give it a good review. I couldn't really find any reviews of this TV as a PC monitor myself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no idea why people don't like Vizio. I had a 40 inch Samsung and a 40 inch Vizio. The vizio was about $400 cheaper. Yet the specs were pretty much identical. The samsung had more inputs but that is about it. Looking at them side by side, I noticed no difference in color they were both great. I returned the samsung and saved $400 and been very happy since.

WHat do you mean amazon store?

I mean the Amazon store. As in the product sells and ships from Amazon's warehouse. There are other sellers on Amazon and their names are put under the short description at the top, and those items aren't eligible for Amazon.com special deals.

What is a legit quality cable to go with this? I ordered some generic cable but I'm thinking now that was a mistake.

Would there be any reason to use the VGA input instead of HDMI by the way? Or is HDMI the way to go.

So I got the LN32B550 and have it up and running right now. I can't seem to get it to look quite right, all the text has extreme ghosting at the moment (a couple pixels across the board on text most noticeably). I think maybe it has to do with the $3 15 foot hdmi cable I got...super cheap piece of crap. I'm going to get a 6ft category 2 cable and then I'll tell you how it looks.

edit: actually it may seem I've gotten the 1 of 3 panel types that you don't want. There is a ton of motion ghosting at the moment; can a better hdmi cable fix that or is today just my unlucky day? Also, everything that is black on white background seems to have a bright white glow around the black such as text and pointers.

and finally, for now, there is a very loud electric hum coming from this unit. I'm not sure if I can get used to the noise. It only hums when the DVI/HDMI connection is enabled (no hum just watching TV)....ok so it seems if I disable the TV speaker the hum goes away. But there is no way to save these preferences when i switch between TV and PC Monitor use :( so every time I put it to TV i have to re-enable the speakers.

Last edited:
I believe there is one hdmi port for 'pc' usage and I suspect that port does not have audio - did you plug the pc into that port? (newer hdmi spec allows for audio as well as video; but I doubt your pc is sending audio over hdmi so that might be the source of the hum).

So I got the LN32B550 and have it up and running right now. I can't seem to get it to look quite right, all the text has extreme ghosting at the moment (a couple pixels across the board on text most noticeably). I think maybe it has to do with the $3 15 foot hdmi cable I got...super cheap piece of crap. I'm going to get a 6ft category 2 cable and then I'll tell you how it looks.

edit: actually it may seem I've gotten the 1 of 3 panel types that you don't want. There is a ton of motion ghosting at the moment; can a better hdmi cable fix that or is today just my unlucky day? Also, everything that is black on white background seems to have a bright white glow around the black such as text and pointers.

and finally, for now, there is a very loud electric hum coming from this unit. I'm not sure if I can get used to the noise. It only hums when the DVI/HDMI connection is enabled (no hum just watching TV)....ok so it seems if I disable the TV speaker the hum goes away. But there is no way to save these preferences when i switch between TV and PC Monitor use :( so every time I put it to TV i have to re-enable the speakers.

Back