Snow Leopard comes with... malware blocker???

It's about time they started acting realistically.

As much as I despise Apple, it is nice to see them finally dropping the bullshit game and added some truth to their approach. Put the lies and flase advertising aside, and do what's best for your users.

Basically this is an admission that Apple lied to its customers all these years. They could get away with the lie with low infection rates but now that they are doing nothing but going up they couldn't lie any more.

Yeah, I know they would recommend in the fine print that you use AV but that was to protect their asses in case somebody decided to upon up a can of class action whoopass on them, not to actually help customers.

And look another feature that Apple stole from Microsoft!

</fanboism... for now>

Apple lied to people? Say it ain't so... lemme go find that ad comparing their hardware against the P2... and the P3... and the P4... and... and... and... ;) "Fastest computer" my ass. ;)

O look, an Apple bashing thread... I guess its the fact that I have actually owned quite a few of their products over the years that I don't feel the need to ignorantly bash them constantly.

I own an iPod....four of them actually, between myself and my wife. That still doesn't mean they use some of the most deceitful advertising methods.

And yet you just had to get that out, in an Apple thread that just happens to make some astute observations about the honesty of Apple, eh? :)

I've owned Macs, Intel ones, and all of 'em were defective and returned (and they still tried to stiff me with the 15% return fee on defective hardware, idiots). There's nothing ignorant going on so far as I have that experience, plus I have a long and colored history with the OSx86 Project as well, and the emails from Apple Legal to prove it. :)

If pointing out fallacies about the company is bashing, hey man, I'm all for it...

I've owned about 12 Mac's now. First one ran System 7 in 1992. None of them have ever given me an issue save for one defective battery. See what I did there?

OSx86 Project has nothing to do with Apple and you know that.

the link from main forum shows, for last active thread. i thought it was funny got me to click it.

"Snow Leopard comes with... malware... "

O look, an Apple bashing thread... I guess its the fact that I have actually owned quite a few of their products over the years that I don't feel the need to ignorantly bash them constantly.

This isn't ALL bashing. It really is important that people understand when they get a Mac that its NOT inheriently protected because its a Mac.

Don't get me wrong. Apple makes really great stuff but they have never been honest about desktop security. Until now.

Well they weren't lying way back when. Its obvious as something gets steadily more popular that more and more malware/virus's are written for it. 10 years ago, the chance of catching a serious virus on Mac OS 9 was... as near as makes no difference non-existent.

Now that they are gaining popularity at such a fast rate, obviously something like this needed to happen.

I see nothing here but the normal evolution of technology.

This is not at ALL how Apple portrayed it. They have sold MILLIONS of Macs to people under the assumption that they were hack proof. Apple played that till the cows came home, which would be today since they are adding malware protection to OS X.

Now I can understand that OS X STILL doesn't have many attacks when compared to Windows. But Apple would play up this lack of threats as superior design, not chance as it is. That's what bothers a lot of folks.

In all reality if you are a novice user, you pretty much have to do the same things to protect a Mac as a PC. Sure you a lot safer from native malware on a Mac because of small malware base but other than that you face a ton of web platform attacks and hacks as well.

OS X security is no better than Windows 7 for sure, maybe a little worse. You are safer for native platform malware for sure but only because there's so little of it but that's about the only one up over 7.

I guess if you are upset about how they went about saying you where less susceptible to virus's then you have a valid point but its not exactly that damning. At least not from my point of view. I never cared as I saw the end result as the same.

No I wouldn't say that its damning in that ALL companies spin stuff. But its the way they did it, as though they were not subject to the same laws of computers as everyone else. In that sense it was VERY decietful and my guess is that there may have been some legal folks looking into this because it Apple had kept up with the advertising and gotten a big nasty attack somebody would have probably at least thought about a class action suit.

Well they weren't lying way back when. Its obvious as something gets steadily more popular that more and more malware/virus's are written for it. 10 years ago, the chance of catching a serious virus on Mac OS 9 was... as near as makes no difference non-existent.

In the early 90's my High School got some grant and put in a computer lab. Up until that point we'd only had a handful of IBM PS/2 machines floating around the office, and virus infection rates were few and far between. After they put this lap in (they were all Macs), there were so many virus infections it was crazy. I remember doing some homework on one and the virus scanner was popping up left and right with infections.

Granted, thats my experience with macs. If they were false positives, I'll never know as I didn't care back then. The crazy thing is that this was all before PCs were really starting to be as common as a toaster, so who was bringing them in and infecting every machine!

A few years back the school had a garage sale and I bought one of the macs for $5. I never even turned it on, but it's sitting my closet. I should fire it up and put some type of AV scanner on it and see what was really going on! lol

Intresting point. The fact is that Macs USED to be a much bigger deal in the late 80's then even today simply because the PC had no decent and popular GUI until Windows 3.0. But you're right, I remember seeing a lot of Mac virues in those days spread via floppy.

I've been supporting thousands of users at this job for the last four years, we're 50/50 mac/windows. I've never seen a mac virus or spyware infection for whatever that's worth.

Mac OS X doesn't suffer from malware because of lack of market share, if everyone switched to macs, they'd be in the same boat or worse as with windows. Mac OS 9 suffered from viruses with little market share because it had no security at all, like Windows 95-98. Mac OS X has security to prevent basic viruses, but not as much anti-malware tech as Vista or Win 7. A lot of people like to say "I own macs and never had malware" but they don't tell you that when you and everybody else switches, so will the malware writers, and the same shit will be happening.

Don't mean to be obvious...but a LOT of people, try to act like Mac OS X doesn't suffer from a lot of malware because it is inherently more secure than Windows, even though that's not true at all.

Hehe, I love this thread. Apple doesn't include antimalware, they get bashed. Apple includes antimalware, they get bashed. They can do no right in this community's eyes.

On a side note, this is gonna be the fastest antimalware software on the planet. It's definition list is gonna have like what, three entries? :p

I've yet to decide whats worse the Apple haters or the Fanbois

And MS doesn't get bashed the same way? I.e. for not fixing security, then breaking compatibility when they do fix security? It comes with the territory. Look at the apple ads, they bash MS for malware AND UAC, for crying out loud, now what sense does THAT make? If you dish it, you had better be able to take it.

Hehe, I love this thread. Apple doesn't include antimalware, they get bashed. Apple includes antimalware, they get bashed. They can do no right in this community's eyes.

On a side note, this is gonna be the fastest antimalware software on the planet. It's definition list is gonna have like what, three entries? :p

They're not getting bashed for including it. They're getting bashed for lying to the consumer for so long about NOT needing it.

I applaud them for finally adding it to their OS. However, I will bash them forever on the PR front if they keep up with the lies about viruses plaguing Windows and OS X being "more secure" and how OS X "just works" (sometimes).

Even their two brand new commercials STILL lie about everything. :rolleyes:

Hell, maybe I should buy a Mac, write a virus, infect myself with that virus causing the destruction of my data on overly expensive but "secure" Mac and then sue Apple for false advertising. :eek:

Hell, maybe I should buy a Mac, write a virus, infect myself with that virus causing the destruction of my data on overly expensive but "secure" Mac and then sue Apple for false advertising. :eek:

As long as you don't get caught... You'd have an airtight case I'd think. All you'd have to do is show the jury the Get a Mac video of the "virus free" bull.

I've yet to decide whats worse the Apple haters or the Fanbois

Usually the fanboys are worse. They're smug and they would lie or exaggerate to make their products better than it actually is.

Though there are times when I want to bang hater's foreheads against brick walls when they're really stubborn about their dislikes.

As long as you don't get caught... You'd have an airtight case I'd think. All you'd have to do is show the jury the Get a Mac video of the "virus free" bull.

I also can't play the part of the iSheep who don't know any better and actually believe a commercial. :p

Considering Apple still has the "no virus" videos hosted on their website, it's pretty obvious they don't practice what they preach.

Now that they are gaining popularity at such a fast rate, obviously something like this needed to happen.

You had move virus issues with OS9 then 10. I remember back in my last year of HS we got apple notebooks. I remember taking my mac virus disk and scanning it with the AV that the notebook came with(back then the macs came with av on them) and it scanned clean. Friend ended up taking the disk and opening every virus at once on his ibook. He then took it to get imaged and it managed to infect the hd image they were using to reimage at that school. The school system ended up buying symantec's mac av to clean up the teachers machines because it became such and issue.

That being said this is not the first time apple has written in protection into mac os.

I remember a virus called job54(number might be off) that would nuke os7 and 8 installs. It borked the mac os install to the point you couldn't boot the machine off a cd and did it pretty much instantly. We would pull the drive, fdisk it in a pc, reinstall it in a mac and reload the system if it got hit by it. Apple wrote a block into OS9 for the virus as well as a few others. Out of the 40 or so good virus that I knew of for 7 and 8 maybe 4 or 5 worked in 9.

I'm glad to see them taking a better look at this although it remains to be seen if they are just looking for some known filenames or if they are doing a more realistic av solution.

Who cares? Don't like the product don't buy it.

Oh, I don't. But other people putting their vulnerable machines on the web and helping the spread of malware isn't something I'm happy about.
Therefore, I try to prevent anyone and everyone possible from owning a Mac. And yes, the smug attitudes of the Mac Cult are a big contributing factor of why I care.

I recommend every non-technical family member and friend to buy a Mac. It lessens the troubleshooting I have to do and in the end they love them.

Oh, I don't. But other people putting their vulnerable machines on the web and helping the spread of malware isn't something I'm happy about.
Therefore, I try to prevent anyone and everyone possible from owning a Mac. And yes, the smug attitudes of the Mac Cult are a big contributing factor of why I care.

Funny how you let the "smug attitudes of the Mac Cult" get your undies in a twist. :p

I recommend every non-technical family member and friend to buy a Mac. It lessens the troubleshooting I have to do and in the end they love them.

My uncle took that advice once from someone else and he was very aggravated when he was never able to find software at stores for it.

I told him there's plenty of alternative software he can use from sourceforge.net or freshmeat.org, or that he'll usually have to go to an Apple store for software.

He gave me this glare, then literally picked up his machine and dropped it in the large Rubbermaid can on the side of the garage. Oy vey. That was funny to watch. (We pulled it out of the trash can later and donated it to a school)

Anyways, OSX may be user friendly, but you have to admit their user friendliness stops at the desktop. Beyond that, you either need to learn how to find apps for it, or get Windows if you want apps everyone else has.

I personally have no experience owning a Mac, but going by my uncle's frustration (and immense relief when he got himself an HP), I'd have to side with the PC when it comes to user friendliness - and cheap family tech support (yours truly).

To be honest I have never had an issue with a family member not being able to find software. I just point them to all those "Top Mac Applications" lists all over the web and there off and running.

To be honest I have never had an issue with a family member not being able to find software. I just point them to all those "Top Mac Applications" lists all over the web and there off and running.

My uncle's experience was a little while ago. They're still pretty new to the internet.

I'll have to keep that list in mind next time a family member gets a Mac and ask me for software availability. I've not heard of this online Apple app store for MacOS before.

Back