Battlefield 2 and Windows 7 x64, masochist to try and install this game in Windows 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
Nothing but pain awaits anyone who wants to try and do this. The game was not designed for 64bit OS. The beginning of the install goes smooth enough, you may notice some graphics issues along the way and then...nothing, it just sits there. You can wait an hour plus and nothing will happen. In Vista the VoIP stuff still installed, Windows 7 it seems to be missing (ran as admin install and not), not like I use ingame chat anyways besides yelling "Its a trap!". I generally us ctrl+alt+del to force quit the install, never know the right time when to force quit.

Next comes patching...funny thing, is when you try and patch it it will tell you that it can't find the installed directory. At this point you will need to go into regedit and add a a install directory to the games registry entry, I'll leave that up to EA to explain:
http://www.electronicarts.com.au/community/messageboards/game/battlefield2/thread/8176/

Next thing you will notice is that every time you go into a game you will be kicked and possibly banned for a minute or two. This is do to the fact that the now x64 OSes will block BF2.exe from updating PB. Go to punkbuster.com>> Support>>> PBsetup>>> Windows and download the pbsetup.exe and run it, you can actually choose to update PB for all your games that use PunkBuster.

NEXT, some of you may experince random CTD (crash to desktop) without any warnings and no error messages, common problem for Battlefield 2 since the game first came out. No one knows exactly what causes it, but there are some quick fixes that might help...maybe. I would avoid this it your now CTDing. Go to the location of BF2.exe, quick searching should do and right-click on it and properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to 'run as administrator'.

Now your in game and you notice problems with the sound, fuck! Well don't worry, I'll let my friend here explain:
http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/main/showthread.php?t=202340

Hopefully after these trails you have earned the privilege to play Battlefield 2 and are ready for 1.5 to come out Sep.1st. Just don't do anything stupit like hit the Play Battlefield 2 Online Now! icon. WTF did I just tell you!

I have BF2 installed on both my systems that have Windows 7 x64 installed on them, and they play perfectly fine. With only 2 exceptions.

1) Installer stalled out when I tried to use the custom install option, but the standard installer was fine.

2) A graphic anomaly in that the sandbags show as a kind of plastic wall. Distracting but not a game stopper. Also, both machines have Nvidia GPUs so that could be the cause as well, but the anomaly did not present itself in Vista x64 so who knows.

On the issue of patching, neither of my machines gave me any problems, and I did not install it in the standard directory, but chose my another hard drive.

Last edited:
I have BF2 installed on both my systems that have Windows 8 x64 installed on them,

Windows 8! :D

anyways back on topic..

i have BF2 installed on my machine, Windows 7 x64
runs without any problems except no widescreen support for now till patch 1.5 comes out and my monitors aspect ratio scaling is good anyways

I've been playing BF2 1.41 (with SF, AF & EF) on Vista 64x for months. Not one issue.

Weird I played bf2 lightly on my win 7 x64 box online without any of those problems, well I can't speak for the voice chat because I never enabled it

Just installed it on W7 64bit here when I saw the new patch coming thread. Installed without a problem.

ive had bf2 installed on vista 64 for almost 6 months now. I actually just re-installed it 3 days ago again because i screwed my files up. the only extra thing i had to do was run pbsetup , but i did that always with XP also , because most of the times u need to run it to update it properly.

my brother also had bf2 on windows 7 64 , and it works fine.

I'm having problem with BF1942 1.61b on Windows 7 x64. Some times it crashes when maps load. It is in compatibility mode for XP. Any tips?

Installed bf2 on 3 different computers running vista x64 without a single problem, my main pc is running 7 x64 and it's been just fine too. Sounds like a PEBKAC issue to me.

It's called me installing BF2 from a ISO since XP (where it worked fine) and not realizing that is the issue. After every one said they had no problems installing, I installed it on my desktop off the DVD not an ISO and it installed fine. Thanks dip shits for pointing out the flaws in my ways rather the trying to figure out what the problem may be. All those solutions I got from google and I used to fix the problems I had installing from the ISO, that means others had the same problems. This is a compilation of all the problems I had and how I resolved them, accept the CTD. At least I could trouble shot the primary issues install and patch (since install could never finish it could never make the install directory entry) from your all your smart ass comments, PB and sound I still had to do manually.

Rule #1: Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm. -Oldie

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called me installing BF2 from a ISO since XP (where it worked fine) and not realizing that is the issue. After every one said they had no problems installing, I installed it on my desktop off the DVD not an ISO and it installed fine. Thanks dip shits for pointing out the flaws in my ways rather the trying to figure out what the problem may be. All those solutions I got from google and I used to fix the problems I had installing from the ISO, that means others had the same problems. This is a compilation of all the problems I had and how I resolved them, accept the CTD. At least I could trouble shot the primary issues install and patch (since install could never finish it could never make the install directory entry) from your all your smart ass comments, PB and sound I still had to do manually.

So it was a PEBKAC issue, glad we were able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back