[H]orde Spotlight #10 - fuelvolts

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
About You

Where do you call home?
-Currently: Bedford, TX.
-In about a month: Keller, TX (both Dallas/Ft. Worth suburbs in Tarrant County). I'm closing on a house right now (my first!)

What is your family situation?
-Live with my beautiful wife of just over 1.5 years. We were married on December 31, 2007 in Irving, TX (Las Colinas). We've been dating since January 2001. I was born on June 1, 1984 in Dallas, TX, so that makes me 25 years old. Do the math; I've been with my wife since I was 16 years old!

What do you do for a living?
-I am a full time law student at Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in Ft. Worth, TX, in my final year. I work part time in a small law firm as a research clerk. I've just been offered full time employment when I get my JD and pass the bar doing estate planning (wills, trusts, etc.) and transactional work (contracts, business negotiations, etc.). No ambulance chasing or bogus lawsuits here.
-I'm a geek, and I hope to eventually work in a legal department for a tech company.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?
-Back when personal websites were popular (not blogs, mind you), I needed to come up with a URL. When I was driving in my old pickup truck home from high school I looked down at my instrument cluster and the words "fuel" and "volts" were very close to each other. So close it almost looked like one word. I thought that sounded neat, so I created "fuelvolts". It has been my username ever since, and that was around 2000 or 2001.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?
-Nope, but I've browsed it!

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?
-Computers and technology, of course.
-Cars. I work on my 2002 Ford Mustang whenever I get a chance. Just to get outside and wash it is fun.
-Guns. I've an avid target shooter. I love going to the gun range and shooting. I like to shoot for accuracy and I can shoot 500 rounds in a sitting. I shoot a Beretta U22 NEOS .22lr caliber pistol with a red-dot sight. It looks awesome and is super accurate.

Right handed or left handed and any military experience? (inside joke from the first couple spotlights)
-Right handed and my uncle was in the Air Force stationed in Ramstein, Germany. That's about it. I don't get the inside joke, but if what I said is funny, laugh away!

About your involvement in DC.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?
-My first dip was with SETI@Home around 1999 or 2000, right after it came out. It was fun and neat to see my computer doing something other than mundane tasks. I got really excited when Folding@Home started. In another thread, I mentioned that I started folding in 2004, but I really think it was earlier than that. I was introduced to it by my CCNA instructor in high school. That would have been around 2001-2002. He had our entire room full of P3 Dells running the console client folding with TINKER (no SSE boost!) cores.

Why do you participate?
-My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer, but that was after I began folding. No real story, just wanted to help in any way I could.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?
-I know everyone says cancer or Alzheimer’s, but I would really like to see heart disease be cured because that is the #1 killer of humans and the cause of death of my grandfather, whom I have never met. He died before I was born. He was a WW2 fighter pilot in the Pacific theater and flew the Mustang. I think that's why I have a fascination with WW2 and Mustangs! I really wish I could have met him.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?
-SETI@Home and Folding@Home. I plan on focusing on Folding@Home for the foreseeable future.

What teams have you contributed to?

- Team 33 since day 1. I registered my screen name in 2004, but I was a lurker way before that.

Why did you choose the Horde?
-Because I liked the forum and appreciated the enthusiasm for the cause.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?
-Whatever helps find cures. Not really interested in ET life with SETI.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?
-Very modest production from me. Most is done from my work PC. It runs 24x7. It runs 2 single core console client. I run the SMP client on my desktop, but it only runs when I'm on it. It sleeps at night b/c electricity is expensive in my area.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?
-I'm not a frequent poster/lurker in the DC sub-forum, but I see it going strong as long as there are DC projects out there.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?
-I would somehow interface hardfolding.com with hardforum.com. Hardfolding.com, to me, is somewhat not intuitive or user friendly. Now, I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into that site and it is extremely informative. It's just a little difficult to get the information you seek when you don't frequent it often or are new. It's baffling to some people.

About your farm

What did you begin with?
-First found out about Folding@Home from my CCNA instructor in high school, so the first PC I used was a Dell Optiplex P3-667 running Windows 98. This was around 2001-2002. The first PC I used at home was my water-cooled Athlon XP 1800+ with 1 gig of DDR 2100. That ran 24x7 because I didn't pay the electric bill back then (high school). I then moved with my progressive PC upgrades. At the height of my PC usage, I had it on my A64 3000+ at home, my P3 1.2 GHz at work, my other P3 1.2 GHz at work (both running Ubuntu 5.04), my P2 400 Compaq media center (which was just a glorified Wi-Fi jukebox), and my boss's Xeon (P3-era) server. I bet a single GTX280 smokes all of those today and uses 1/8 of the power. I think I had maybe 700-900 PPD back then. This was about 2004-ish.

What are you running today?
-At work with my Allendale Pentium dual core. When I move in a month or so, the electricity rates are almost half, so I'm going to run my Phenom X4 with 2 single core clients and GPU with my 9600GT, in addition to my work PC.

What plans do you have in moving forward? Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?
-Going to go higher with cheaper electricity!

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?
-All have day jobs. I haven't had a dedicated folder since undergrad, but that might change once I get out of law school and start working full time.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?
-Work PC is Windows XP SP3, but we are doing a firm-wide upgrade to Windows 7 Pro in Q1 2010 (my initiative). Home PC is currently Vista Ultimate, but formatting and installing Windows 7 Pro in a week or so.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)
-Nope, I've told people about it, but I'm the only geek around and other people don't really understand it yet. Biggest hurdle is convincing people to leave their PC on 24/7.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Did I forget to ask you anything?
-I was born and raised in Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas. I attended to Texas A&M University. Graduated in 2007 with a B.S. in Political Science (emphasis in statistical methods), minor in Business Administration. Currently enrolled at Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in Ft. Worth, TX and will graduate May 2010 with my Juris Doctorate. Then I get to spend the next 2 months studying for the bar. Then working the rest of my life! Hopefully folding along the way! Thanks for this opportunity to share a little about me. Team 33 for a cure!

Thanks, Alan!

Nice interview!

Nice to get to know you, fuelvolts! You dated for 8 years? Me too! Married for 20 years and together for almost 30 years! (8+20=28!)

Always a good read. I do enjoy getting to know our fellow folding brethren.

Back