Apple Store Is Efficient And User Friendly For Thieves

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know I shouldn’t laugh at something like this but I just can’t help it. Well, I probably could have restrained myself…if it wasn’t an Apple store. Who would’ve thought the layout of the store would have been this “user friendly?”

They smashed the front window of the Promenade at Sagemore store in Marlton, N.J. and cleaned out the display models. How long did it take them to steal 23 Macbook Pros, 14 iPhones, and 9 iPod Touches? Thirty-one seconds. Yes, there's surveillance video.

in apples defense this is how all robbed stores work. they have plans, even white trash have plans. my friends own a liquor store... they come in for weeks buying 1.99$ 4packs of milwaukee's worst... then bam... they come in, steal 100-200 cartons of smokes, and the cheapest vodka in the store... all under 30 seconds. cops never make it in time, they show up usually 15-30 min late.

then they usually come back and shop again. one time two younger men did this (21 or so)... and they wore the same outfits they had on for weeks at the store... bam! but they too as retarded as they come, 30 seconds or less stole several grand in stuff. some even come in with garbage bags full.

smokes are 45$ a carton.. .thats about 1k$ per garbage bag.

If you're going to reprint stuff from Consumerist, and they're going to reprint stuff from Gizmodo, it would be faster for you to just reprint stuff from Gizmodo.

One of the thief isn't too bright. Picks up the laptop before closing the lids. Looks like he was struggling to hold everything.

Funny how the security cop ran the other way instead of chasing the thief or at least seeing where they're going. He was RIGHT behind them.

It's clear to me from the tape that the security guard was taking a dump when this robbery occurred.

I guess Apple has never heard of cable locks on floor model computers? I mean hell BB and other electronics retailers use them, or even use a full bottom lock to the laptops. You can pick them up, but can't pull them further than a foot away. I don't get how they could over look that. I could come in day light steal a laptop and leave without getting caught.

To the guy who just confessed about his friends stealing smokes, are you an idiot? That's as bad as bragging about it on facebook and getting caught.

lol i stole a couple gatorades, and broke a beer that i drank... thats about it. mostly in front of him two while mocking him "hey im stealing this"

can't they track those laptops down when they get onto the internet?

can't they track those laptops down when they get onto the internet?

If these laptops have computrace installed on them, then most certainly yes.

If they are smart enough, they will throw in a new HD and a fresh OS install.

I guess Apple has never heard of cable locks on floor model computers? I mean hell BB and other electronics retailers use them, or even use a full bottom lock to the laptops. You can pick them up, but can't pull them further than a foot away. I don't get how they could over look that. I could come in day light steal a laptop and leave without getting caught.

Cable locks would go against the "aesthetic superiority" that Apple Stories are designed around. Nobody ever said reality was a factor in their logic.

yea.... no this happened in south jersey they clearly arent that bright.

chances are its a group of toms river wangsta's

give it 2 weeks before they get caught cause most of these types of idiots dont know how to STFU, they get cocky and wanna brag

When I worked at a Gateway store, we always took down the display merchandise and locked them up underneath the cabinets (for cameras/mp3 players) and the laptops in separate locked room. Of course seasoned thieves would still be able to still get the merchandise but they would look pretty suspicious carrying arm-loads of laptops and cameras in a pedestrian orientated town like Berkeley.

I wonder how long before all that stuff ends up on craigslist or ebay....

I guess Apple has never heard of cable locks on floor model computers?

They have alarms hooked up to the USB ports, things like that, so if it is unplugged then an alarm goes off in the store. Of course, that's not much help if you don't have anybody guarding the merchandise. The worst thing a burglar has to worry about is having that annoying high pitched sound going off, and a pair of earplugs can take care of that. :)

I was wondering when this would show up on the [H] and what sort of headline it would be sporting, my expectations were met.

You are going to hear about these guys getting caught because they do something stupid like try to sell a bunch of the stuff at once or order like 20 ac adapters directly from apple.

I saw this on my local news the other day. Quite entertaining and well played out.

time to drive to jersey to get a good deal on a macbook pro!!

:D

You know that won't stop it right? Its integrated in BIOS, as seen in the news stories lately about it. As soon as the new install runs, it will put the driver back into the OS.

If you're going to reprint stuff from Consumerist, and they're going to reprint stuff from Gizmodo, it would be faster for you to just reprint stuff from Gizmodo.

If you are going to criticize the news posting, you should criticize it correctly.

I saw it at the Consumerist. I linked the Consumerist, gave them full credit for the "find" since the original link only provided a video. The "EXCLUSIVE" video was an ABC Action 6 news item, not Gizmodo. The Consumerist linked the original content provided by ABC Action 6.

Gizmodo did not link the original content, they pulled the article from TUAW.

As a matter of professional courtesy, we only LINK TO stories and include a small quote or picture so that, if our readers find the news item interesting, they can follow the link.

We do not REPRINT entire news items or steal other people’s content. We are also not one of those sites that post so much of an article that there is no point in clicking the link either. We are also not one of those sites that take someone else's news item, rewrite it and present it as our own.

We've been at this for a decade and, despite our many flaws, we have a formula that works pretty good (obviously, you are here reading it, no?)

Thanks for your input.

These thieves that break the glass and grab something & dash suck. Last year had me at my store on christmas day (we were closed).

These thieves that break the glass and grab something & dash suck. Last year had me at my store on christmas day (we were closed).

Damn bro, that sucks.

Too bad the cops don't retrieve the stolen property the same way...drive their car through the crooks house, smash everything up and dash off with the crooks in 30 seconds flat. :D

That was the most obnoxious 'sensationalistic' news story about a simple robbery I have ever seen. I swear they say "exclusive" about two dozen times. They make a big deal out of the 'pro' nature of the thief's ability to break a giant glass door, and their 'savvy' to wear a mask. Uh, what?

Only the truly idiotically stupid criminals (yes, most criminals are on the less-than-bright side, but I mean the truly bad ones,) would *NOT* have worn a mask. And to mention not once, but twice, that the crook must have been good because knew how to break glass is just insane.

Yes, these guys obviously have done this before, yes, they obviously planned. That doesn't make them Oceans 11 quality thieves.

How is it 'savvy' to wear ski masks and break glass? I dunno. Apple tax refund. I'm still laughing over that.

Wow, this is ridiculous, though I guess it wouldn't be totally uncommon looking at how their stores just have their products sitting on tables like that; I'd hate to be the security guard, knowing that you barely missed an entire group of thieves cleaning the tables down.

Wow, this is ridiculous, though I guess it wouldn't be totally uncommon looking at how their stores just have their products sitting on tables like that; I'd hate to be the security guard, knowing that you barely missed an entire group of thieves cleaning the tables down.

I like how the video states they theatened him with a gun. two bucks says he wasn't even there, he was at rallys. You gotta eat.

I like how the video states they theatened him with a gun. two bucks says he wasn't even there, he was at rallys. You gotta eat.

Sorry, the way whoever was narrating made it seem to me like the security guard had no idea, apparently I didn't hear the "savvy enough" part first time through. I still think it'd suck to be the security guard in the situation afterwards.

Back