SSD garbage cleaning tool

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for a program that cleans up the garbage on a laptops SSD drive which is running Windows XP. It is a Samsung drive. After searching I know that there is wiper.exe for Patriot, G.Skill, and OCz but I can't find anything for the Samsung SSDs.

Is my search-fu just bad so I can't locate one or did Samsung not supply one for their customers?

There is no app for that drive, sorry.

That's what I thought. Just needed a confirm.

Oh well...when the boss asks why his computer is slow after putting all the money into it for the "best" I can tell him you didn't get the best. :eek:

I found this article which clearly explains garbage collection:

http://hothardware.com/News/OCZ-and-Indilinx-Collaborate-On-New-SSD-Garbage-Collection-Scheme/

From this I gather that garbage collection is best done in the firmware, not by a third-party app.

It would help this thread if you mentioned exactly which Samsung SSD it is.

Not all are done in the firmware but they can be.

But it's a Samsung 128MB slim uSATA MLC SSD PM800 series.

We have two new laptops and one of them has had a system reload. It's got a definite stutter to it which is why I was hoping for the wiper software to see if that corrected it.

The best answers seem to be:

"just buy a new ssd with an indilinx controller"
and
"Modern SSDs have garbage collection, and TRIM (or soon will in the case of Sammy and Intel) built into their firmware."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/21997-ssds-hyperfast.html

From what I understand in that thread, Diskeeper's Hyperfast would do garbage collection on an older SSD, but it's better use of the money to buy a new SSD instead for the above reasons. I've also seen a lot of criticism in the OCZ forums that Samsung is completely not supporting their SSDs with firmware updates that include things like garbage collection.

That's what I thought. Just needed a confirm.

Oh well...when the boss asks why his computer is slow after putting all the money into it for the "best" I can tell him you didn't get the best. :eek:

All OEMs seem to be using Samsung drives so it's not like he had much of a choice unless he swapped in the SSD on his own.

Gonna have to wait 'till Win7 and TRIM support I guess and hope the drive rights itself once that's implemented... Since you can't even flash new firmware on Samsung drives (really stupid imo), there's no mechanism in place for it. Given that, I'm not even sure if it'll properly support TRIM tho.

The best answers seem to be:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/21997-ssds-hyperfast.html

From what I understand in that thread, Diskeeper's Hyperfast would do garbage collection on an older SSD, but it's better use of the money to buy a new SSD instead for the above reasons. .

Thanks for the link!

I've been using Hyperfast on my Intel G1 since May and wondered what other people's observations have been. I tried looking for comments when I started using it but didn't find anything and gave up.

I'm not sure what it exactly does but I can say it does seem to improve speed and consolidate fragmented files, much the same as a mechanical HD.

Because it's moving files around I can only speculate it is reducing my SSD's life but I really don't expect this thing to wear out before it outlives it's usefulness to me.

If others have experience with Hyperfast, I'm sure their comments would be appreciated by everyone.

Back