Bios for Intel DG965OT mATX MoBo?

nanotechy

Limp Gawd
Hello Folks,

Been searching for bios for my Intel DG965OT mATX MoBo, but have no luck yet. The closest I come to is CNET's review article talking about what bios it supports, but of which I know very little about, if any. The mentioned "BIOS Features: ACPI support , Rapid BIOS boot , SMBIOS support , Hyper-Threading Technology", and is found here: URL="http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/intel-desktop-board-dg965ot/1707-3049_7-31998974.html"]http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/intel-desktop-board-dg965ot/1707-3049_7-31998974.html[/URL].

Any help pointing me in the right direction to get the proper bios to get this system going would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
nanotech

For any motherboard bios go to the mobo manufactures website and click on support or/then the download button found usually at the top or bottom of the manufactureers homepage i.e. Intel.com in this case, and then seach for your product.
I did the leg work for you: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2412&lang=eng
I scanned the read me for bios update, and it seems Intel has quite a few methods for updating. Any other q's just ask, and if I can't answer it I'm sure there are quite a few people who can. If no one answers be persistant but not too pushy, because newbish type q's don't always get as quick of a response as how to cool a cpu with liquid helium. good luck and have fun;)

For any motherboard bios go to the mobo manufactures website and click on support or/then the download button found usually at the top or bottom of the manufactureers homepage i.e. Intel.com in this case, and then seach for your product.
I did the leg work for you: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2412&lang=eng
I scanned the read me for bios update, and it seems Intel has quite a few methods for updating. Any other q's just ask, and if I can't answer it I'm sure there are quite a few people who can. If no one answers be persistant but not too pushy, because newbish type q's don't always get as quick of a response as how to cool a cpu with liquid helium. good luck and have fun;)
Thank you, yellowfever. For a noobie, it's just blinding. Not knowing where to start is the biggest hurdle. You hint is most appreciated. You are right, it's been a very interest process learning these stuffs and I am most grateful for your assistant in expanding my horizon. Will read up on the info you linked and most likely will have additional questions.

Thank you once again and Best wishes,
nanotech

OK, guys, downloaded the bios and manuals for this mother board, been reading the details of which, finished putting my system completely together (at least I think), turned on the system, system seems to be running OK, but there is no signal connection between the PC and the monitor.

here's the details:
MoBo: Intel DG965OT mATX MoBo & Core 2 Duo E6320
Rams: total of 5gb (1 stick of 1gb, and 2 sticks of 2GB each)
Graphic card: both onboard and a GTX 260
Monitor: KDS crt monitor hooked up to on board VGA connector as I don't have a LCD monitor
HDD: 1TB Seagate Sata
PSU: Cosair 75W

Been scratching my head as to what might be the cause of the no connection. Been reading the manual over and over, but didn't see anything that would be of relevant to this situation. Of course, it could be not knowing what is pertinent to the situation from the manual. Would someone with more knowledge please kindly help me to trouble shoot this baby. I am rather excited about getting the baby fired up.

If some one need to look at the manual, here are the e-versions: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15058&ProdId=2412&lang=eng

Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Best wishes,

hang on. lets get this clear.

You have a CRT connected to the onboard video and the GTX 260 installed at the same time?

I would remove the GTX first and see if you get a video signal.

Also, do you have the appropriate power leads connected to the GTX 260?

Hiya. Good detail on the hardware in use. Need a little more about how it is configured.

Without knowing more a few things come to mind.

In the bios there is somewhere an option to disable the on-board video. If you have the monitor plugged into the video out for the add on card, but the on-board has not been disabled - you will get nothing. You may have to carefully peruse the bios section of the manual, sometimes the bios option is not named well, GMCH (Graphics Memory Controller Hub) is the chip that contains the on-board graphics and the memory controller.

Well lots of other things too but let me get to the point. I strongly suggest you simplify the problem solving by reducing the variables involved. Hardware changes should be done with the power off.

Remove the add on video card.
Make sure the on-board video is enabled in the bios.
See what you get.

Install the add on video card.
Make sure the on-board video is DISABLED in the bios.
see what you get.

Let us know. (sorry you may have already tried this but you didn't say so I can not assume anything).

OK I am a little off today, no video then no bios screen etc. but still, same idea, remove the add on card and see if the on-board works. Make sure you have the monitor plugged in correctly, with the old D-sub connectors it is possible to get them to go in upside down.

Also check the manual and follow the "clear cmos" procedure. That should enable the on-board video in case it was disabled (or see what the manual says the default state is. The setting should be at the default after a bios reset.)

If the onboard video is damaged it should after a bit (few seconds) automatically enable an add on card to work.

Guys, Thanks for the quick support.

Both of you are right. The CRT is connected to PC via onboard VGA connector while the GTX 260 is also installed.

The GTX 260 are powered by 2 pcie 6 pins power leads.

Will remove the GTX 260 and see what happen. Be right back.

OK, your suspicion is correct. Apparently have the add-on video card installed, automatically disabled the on board card.

Upon restart after the add-on gpx was removed, the system and monitor is visibly connected.

In the mannual, there is nothing showing how to keep the onboard video card on while also have the add-on connected. As I don't have a LCD monitor, are there addaptors that will enable the CRT monitor to be connectable to the add on video card? Would love to take advantage of the GTX 260.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again.
Best wishes.

Edit or add on question:

System is reporting that there is "no bootable deviice, insert boot disc and press any key". Well, I also have DVD burner hooked up and in it is the Windows Vista OS DVD. Does this mean that the system isn't reading the DVD drive? At this stage, any thing that I can do to double check that the system is infact linking to the DVD drive. I know the dirve has power, as I can open and close its tray. But why would the system reporting about no bootable device? What else do I need?

Last edited:
Once again, thank you for all support.

I really don't know and would greatly appreciate some tweaking/trouble shooting knowledge here. All and any thought is much grateful for.

Best wishes,

Glad to see you’re having fun. First off get windows loaded and running before using the gtx260, but after you have windows you can use a vga to dvi adapter which can be had at any radio shack type place.
The problem loading windows sounds like a boot order problem. First do you get a bios splash screen when you turn on the computer? If you don’t then try loading the bios you download off of the intel website in one of the 5 ways it’s enumerated in the manual.
If you get a bios splash screen, press whatever button it tells you to go into “setup” (usually F1, delete, or escape). As soon as you enter the bios, there should be an option that says load default settings which usually enables everything in the right order, and you can fiddle with the bios options after you have a working computer! If loading the defaults doesn’t help, enter setup again and go to the boot options menu. Make sure your hard drive and dvd drive are enabled as bootable, and make your dvd drive boot first and the hard drive second.
If your dvd drive isn’t recognized in the bios either the port on the motherboard doesn’t work, the plug on the cable isn’t plugged in all the way on your motherboard or dvd drive, or if it’s an ide dvd drive then the jumper setting isn’t on the master setting (assuming that it’s the only ide device you have connected). The jumper settings can be found on the dvd manufacturer’s website.
Spoiler alert: After this boot problem is resolved you’ll get a message that says press ay key to boot from cd . . . ., then press any key.
Hopefully this helps and if you run into some other problems keep them coming. Also a lot of people are down on maximum pc, but for the beginner they’re great. When I started I got The Maximum PC Ultimate Performance Guide, and even though the info is a little dated now it’s a great step by step how to which I still reference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You probably can't use both the onboard and addon video cards at the same time.

Glad to see you’re having fun.

Yes, indeed, a learning experience.

First off get windows loaded and running before using the gtx260, but after you have windows you can use a vga to dvi adapter which can be had at any radio shack type place.
The trick is to get the OS loaded first. Thanks for the info on DVI adapter. Will look forward to it.

The problem loading windows sounds like a boot order problem. First do you get a bios splash screen when you turn on the computer? If you don’t then try loading the bios you download off of the intel website in one of the 5 ways it’s enumerated in the manual.
No, no bios splash screen. Trick is what do I use to load the bios since the DVD isn't recognized by the system.

If you get a bios splash screen, press whatever button it tells you to go into “setup” (usually F1, delete, or escape). As soon as you enter the bios, there should be an option that says load default settings which usually enables everything in the right order, and you can fiddle with the bios options after you have a working computer! If loading the defaults doesn’t help, enter setup again and go to the boot options menu. Make sure your hard drive and dvd drive are enabled as bootable, and make your dvd drive boot first and the hard drive second.
Can't wait til I get to this step.

If your dvd drive isn’t recognized in the bios either the port on the motherboard doesn’t work, the plug on the cable isn’t plugged in all the way on your motherboard or dvd drive, or if it’s an ide dvd drive then the jumper setting isn’t on the master setting (assuming that it’s the only ide device you have connected). The jumper settings can be found on the dvd manufacturer’s website.
DVD Drive: BenQ DW1640 (and the only one)
Jumper setting: on far right three pin (which is my understanding for Master); don't have the manual any more, searched the net, BenQ's site not heping much (http://www.benq.us/support/downloads/?productline=8 unless there's a better place for this burner's manual. And then there is some fellow trying to figure the same thing at a forum (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Forum/tm.asp?m=119344)
"Yes, thanks, that's the standard example. 3 pairs of pins, from left to right:
Cable Select - Slave - Master.
"

Doubled check on the IDE cable's connection, yet still not recognizing it.

Spoiler alert: After this boot problem is resolved you’ll get a message that says press ay key to boot from cd . . . ., then press any key.
Hopefully this helps and if you run into some other problems keep them coming. Also a lot of people are down on maximum pc, but for the beginner they’re great. When I started I got The Maximum PC Ultimate Performance Guide, and even though the info is a little dated now it’s a great step by step how to which I still reference.
Thanks for the heads up on the Maxium PC reference. Will get one for reference. Such book, as you stated, can be great resource for beginners.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Base on the discussion at the following thread, my DVD drive jumper setting is confirmed to be a master device, but why would the PC not recognize it? http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034618147&posted=1#post1034618147

Background info on the DVD drive: I pulled the drive from an external enclosure. When still int he enclosure, it was working fine.

Again, any and all thoughts are much appreciated.

Best regards,
nanotech.

If the drive is not being detected in the BIOS, try another IDE and power cable.

If the drive is being detected, just no boot media detected, make sure the disc spins (note the label of the disc when placing it on the tray, and note it after the system states no boot device).

If the drive is being detected, just no boot media detected, make sure the disc spins (note the label of the disc when placing it on the tray, and note it after the system states no boot device).

I don't think the drive is being detected. Its saying, "no bootable device, insert disc and press any key"

the OS DVD is in the DVD drive which is properly jumped and installed.

So how should I go about "note it after the system states no boot devices"?

Sorry, these may be very basic questions, but I really don't know.

Thanks for being patient.
Best wishes.

Did you try new cables? When you boot up, go into the BIOS and see if the drive is being detected.

In order to know whether the disc spins or not, you have to know the label's orientation prior to putting it in the drive, wait for the drive to attempt read access, then eject the disc and again look at the label -- it rarely ends up in the same spot if the drive spun the disc. ;)

Before you worry about drives being detected you need to make sure you have a working bios that you can get into first. The bios is saved on the board not the hard dirve.
1. First, immediately after pushing the power button on the computer keep pressing F2 on the keyboard (preferably not a USB keyboard but a ps2 keyboard), because sometimes the splash screen is disabled in the bios. If it takes you to the bios screen you're in good shape and report back. Your board should already have a bios on it, but it may be corrupt in which case the above would not take you to the bios.

2. If the above doesn't work, unplug your computer from the socket, push the power button again to discharge the capacitors, and then remove the circular battery on the board. Leave the battery out for 30 minutes then put it back in, plug in your computer and repeat step one. Hopefully this will reset your bios, and you can get into the bios, and report back.

3. If the above doesn't work do a bios recovery using a thumb drive at this link http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm
and report back.
Hope this helps

Yes, sorry, I came from your other thread, so I didn't really read all the posts above mine, lol (too much to read). Yes, I was assuming your BIOS was in-tact and fully working.

OK...Guys, sorry, couldn't get to this for a couple of days there.

enginurd, no problem. Thanks for looking into this.

yellowfever, gone through your step 1, no positive result. Did step 2, unplug power suply, pushed power button, removed battery on board, let it set for 30 mins, put back on, plugged in power supply, repeated step 1, I now see bios flashing at the beginning after first turned on.

But still ended up in the same position.

After "Initializing and establishing link..."
Got report: "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.
PXE - MOF: Exiting Intel boot agent.
No bootable device - insert disc and press any key."

Double checked the IDE cable by disconnecting it, and reconnect vie another notch connector. Still the same result.

What exactly is PXE - E61?

Thank you once again.

Congrats so far; you went from a corrupt bios problem to a boot order problem which is a jump in the right direction. I will preface this reply by saying I'm unfamiliar with intel bioses, but most are similar. Now that you see a bios splash screen hit F2 (I Think . . . or whatever button it tells youy to press to enter setup). First set the bios options to default by pressing whatever button it tells you in the bios (F4 usually, but it could be different on intel boards). Your computer should shut down and start again, and hopefully this works.
If the above doesn't work, restart the computer and enter the bios again to change the boot order. The error that you're receiving I believe is it's trying to boot from the network card like a NAS which is probably set as the first device to boot from in the bios. Your job is to first make sure it says the name of both your dvd drive and hard drive in the bios so that you know they're both recognized. Then switch the boot order so the ide dvd drive boots first and the hard drive boots second, and disable all other options from booting if possible. Hopefully this helps.

Congrats so far; you went from a corrupt bios problem to a boot order problem which is a jump in the right direction. I will preface this reply by saying I'm unfamiliar with intel bioses, but most are similar. Now that you see a bios splash screen hit F2 (I Think . . . or whatever button it tells youy to press to enter setup). First set the bios options to default by pressing whatever button it tells you in the bios (F4 usually, but it could be different on intel boards). Your computer should shut down and start again, and hopefully this works.
If the above doesn't work, restart the computer and enter the bios again to change the boot order. The error that you're receiving I believe is it's trying to boot from the network card like a NAS which is probably set as the first device to boot from in the bios. Your job is to first make sure it says the name of both your dvd drive and hard drive in the bios so that you know they're both recognized. Then switch the boot order so the ide dvd drive boots first and the hard drive boots second, and disable all other options from booting if possible. Hopefully this helps.

So far, as far as I can see, there is no indication on the Bios flash windows telling what key to click. I've tried, however, F2, F8, and Delete, but none seems to work. In the end, always lead to the "No bootable device detected..." message.

While I am waiting for a new sata DVD burner, is there any way I can freeze that bios flashing windows, so I can better look at it for more details that I may have missed? I am hoping that a new sata burner can eliminate some of this problem, is this thinking any relevant?

Also in the mean time, the fact that I am only going to use a CRT monitor on this set up, would be worth it to get DVI to VGA adapter to use the add on video card? Would I be able to notice any major difference using the add on video card connector as appose to the on board connector?

Best wishes.

So far, as far as I can see, there is no indication on the Bios flash windows telling what key to click. I've tried, however, F2, F8, and Delete, but none seems to work. In the end, always lead to the "No bootable device detected..." message. ...

Are you hitting all of those keys as fast as you can, and as constantly as possible from the moment you turn on the system to the moment it gives you that no bootable device message? If not, do so. ;)

... Also in the mean time, the fact that I am only going to use a CRT monitor on this set up, would be worth it to get DVI to VGA adapter to use the add on video card? Would I be able to notice any major difference using the add on video card connector as appose to the on board connector? ...

Nope.

Are you hitting all of those keys as fast as you can, and as constantly as possible from the moment you turn on the system to the moment it gives you that no bootable device message? If not, do so. ;)

Enginurd, you are absolutely correct! I did not hit the them keys as fast as I should and could. I merely press and hold.

Pressing F2 as fast as I could from the moment I turned on the system did the trick! Took me to my BIOS page. Yeah!!! Thank You!!!

... Your job is to first make sure it says the name of both your dvd drive and hard drive in the bios so that you know they're both recognized. Then switch the boot order so the ide dvd drive boots first and the hard drive boots second, and disable all other options from booting if possible. Hopefully this helps.

OK...got int the BIOS, and both DVD and Hard Drive are recognized, boot order is set to ide DVD drive first, then the HDD, and every thing else are disabled.

Still "no bootable device - insert boot disc and press any key" still is the final message.

This really questions the workmanship of this BenQ drive, but why would it work in the external drive and not here? Any thought, thank you.

Try another bootable disc, like UBCD or some LiveOS disc. Or, try an original disc (non-burned disc).

Back