spray paint + power supply cables?

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have a OCZ modxstream pro 600 watt psu. I'm putting together a case that is flat black on the inside, totally blacked out everywhere with white/grey fans, black frames. It's pretty much murdered out and I've sleeved all my cables on the fans and case.

My question here is, would it be detrimental to my power supply if I hit the cables with a bit of flat black spray paint? I'm planning on wrapping the connectors and such to protect them, the cables are already sleeved but still showing color. I may resleeve them if necessary but it would be much easier to just add a bit of color so I don't have to do all the sleeving again.

thanks for your input

i used vinyl dye in a spray can on my corsair power supply wires, i even called them and they said it would not void the warranty.

just mask things up good before spraying.

i still need to do some other fan wires also..........

left01.jpg

i used vinyl dye in a spray can on my corsair power supply wires, i even called them and they said it would not void the warranty.

@the snake: may I ask what vinyl die you used? Your cables look great and its such an improvement over the rainbow stock look!

@the snake: may I ask what vinyl die you used? Your cables look great and its such an improvement over the rainbow stock look!

i went to a auto paint supplier and got a can of SEM brand landau black vinyl dye, about $8 or so

Thats a great idea, i have not seen that use for vinyl dye, it used to be for old beige parts that needed to be made black, and my black vinyl dye had dried out since then, i just threw it out a while ago :D

Dye works great - It's an absolute "no-no" on the spray paint though.

Correct. Also, make ABSOLUTELY sure you get the dye. Most places sell a vinyl "coating" that will flake and peel with haste. The dye penetrates the surface and works perfectly with very little work. No runs, fisheye, etc.

Correct. Also, make ABSOLUTELY sure you get the dye. Most places sell a vinyl "coating" that will flake and peel with haste. The dye penetrates the surface and works perfectly with very little work. No runs, fisheye, etc.

Good luck these days though. It's almost impossible to find a true vinyl dye in the USA.

Something about ingredient restrictions or some bollocks.

wallgreens carries black leather shoe dye that i use for coloring epoxy. works great. but if you used krylon plastic paint i bet you would get decent results too. dye is better though

Back