Suggest me an AM3 compatible HSF

VeryApe

Gawd
So I got my Phenom2 550 last week from Newegg and got all 4 cores unlocked(woohoo.)
I want to start OC'ing this bitch but not with the junky retail HSF that it shipped with.
Any recomendations? What is everyone else using?
I have the Gigabyte UD3P board, if that makes a difference, and I'm assuming that anything that works with the AM2 socket should work with AM3, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
In the $30-$40 range either the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or the Scythe Mugen 2.
In the $50+ range TRUE or Prolimatech Megahalems.

In the $30-$40 range either the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or the Scythe Mugen 2.
In the $50+ range TRUE or Prolimatech Megahalems.

30-40 is what I was looking to spend, but I would spend more if it is going to shave off like 10 degrees....

OCZ Vendetta is a nice cheap sink and it is not very tall so it will fit in smaller case

30-40 is what I was looking to spend, but I would spend more if it is going to shave off like 10 degrees....

I use hyper 212 plus on all of my builds for clients... I have taken x4 945's to 3.9 GHz (260 x 15 @ 1.4v) with temps of high 30s and low 40s for min and 50-55c for the high.

note that these reads are taken from room temps of 30-32c

Xiggy S1283!

I got it for $26 after MIR. At 3.6Ghz on my 720 the highest core was 37° during 18 hours of Prime.

For the price I love it. Plus you can buy mounting to have the ziggy fan facing back rather than up.

Xiggy S1283!

I got it for $26 after MIR. At 3.6Ghz on my 720 the highest core was 37° during 18 hours of Prime.

For the price I love it. Plus you can buy mounting to have the ziggy fan facing back rather than up.

During this summer my Xigmatek HDT S1283 paired with an X4 955 has idled at 35C and tops out around 41C gaming (stock temps in an Antec 300 case). Darn good HSF for the money. Once you get the fan attached (worst part of the process - silicon/rubber mounts are a pain to thread) it attaches to the mobo in minutes.

If I might add, if the OP goes with the Ziggy I would recommend swapping out the stock fan for a S-Flex or other high pressure, high flow fan.

Trust me the fan swap is easier before you mount it. ;)

Xiggy S1283!

Yes, the Xigmatek or the Sunbeam core contact 120 are both fantastic and super well priced AM2/+/3 HSFs.

I love my sunbeam core contact. Cools great, quiet even with fan at full speed, has run for almost 10 months now without a single hiccup or problem. Temps remain fantastic!

The xigmatek has a slightly better fan (less noise@same cfm), the sunbeam core contact has 4 heatpipes, so the sink itself is a tiny bit better, but the fan is a little louder.

So go either way, slightly quieter or slightly better sink.
Oh the sunbeam can be pointed any direction on the CPU, the xigmatek only goes airflow vertical. I wanted my cpu pushing air from the front of the case to the back horizontally, so I went with sunbeam.

I ended up going with the Xigmatek 1283. I also got some passsive cooling for the mosfet's too. From what I've read, they get pretty hot on my board. Thanks for all the input guys.

Back