ATI/AMD Event USS Hornet

The Cobra

2[H]4U
The NDA lifts on September 23, 2009. Most of the rumors you have read are true. I went to the USS Hornet in Alameda, CA (nice to see you again Kyle) the cards I saw (ATI 5870) should be out around the time windows 7 goes retail. The 5870 will be able to drive 3 30 inch monitors at the same time. I was one of 15 people to be dragged to the bowls of the ship and saw some really nice tech demos. ATI also is going open source with this product. Open CL and direct input. The physics were amazing as well. All Open CL originated. The Physics are going to be run on BOTH the GPU and CPU. Really nice scaling. I think nvidia is in trouble this round. The Price points are gonna be really competative as well.

More later. Good night.

So, they hit market at 22 October.... damn :p hoped it will be faster. On the other hand it's good, we will know nvidia benchies and will be able to choose

But... think I'm going Ati this round :)

Sucks the release isn't till the end of October. I can't wait to see how this thing performs.

I really hope that OpenCL can gain some traction in this area. I'd love to see an open, cross platform physics API take hold before PhysX becomes the standard by default.

...a little annoying from ATI that the Sept 10 date was just a teaser, but thanks for the info.

I really hope that OpenCL can gain some traction in this area. I'd love to see an open, cross platform physics API take hold before PhysX becomes the standard by default.

PhysX is a cross platform physics API...

And OpenCL doesn't set aside the fact that the underlying physics API being used by AMD is Havok, which is as proprietary as PhysX is.

Thanks for the report. Any photos?

I want to know more!!! :D

And OpenCL doesn't set aside the fact that the underlying physics API being used by AMD is Havok, which is as proprietary as PhysX is.

Across what platforms? NVIDIA and GeForce?

Not to jazzed about the underlying Havok aspect of this either, btw... Didn't Intel buy Havok (or a major stake)? I wonder how long a marriage between AMD and Havok can last.

Last edited:
awesome. can this multi monitor goodness apply to any game, right out of the box?

awesome. can this multi monitor goodness apply to any game, right out of the box?

id have to guess the game would need support for the higher resolutions for it to work. most games probly cant go above the standerd 2***x1*** res without a patch

What I mainly want know is if the 5870 will be under 10.5 inches long.

It sounds retarded, but I was planning on going ATI this round because because I want to be able to use my Antec Solo case again (without hacking it up), which hasn't been possible with the last few Nvidia cards.

From the leaked pictures (assuming they are real) it looks like ati is going the stupidly long route as well :(.

PhysX is crap. The idea of running physics on GPU is good, the implementation of it by Nvidia is crap.
They have even broken the CPU implementation of PhysX. Here's how to increase PhysX on Batman on ATI cards (30 FPS increase):
http://rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336007626&postcount=44
PhysX offers nothing more then what it did under Aegia's days and offers less on CPU under Nvidia.

Look at their CPU implementations in Mirrors Edge or Batman for that matter. It pales in comparison with Farcry 2 as example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSBHJRU9_Q

This is all done on CPU.

With Havok running on both CPU and GPU, being hardware agnostic as Havok always have been, we finally get a DECENT middleware product with GPU acceleration that doesn't dictate what GPU we should get to have it.

PhysX, RIP. You won't be missed.

Last edited:
What I mainly want know is if the 5870 will be under 10.5 inches long.

It sounds retarded, but I was planning on going ATI this round because because I want to be able to use my Antec Solo case again (without hacking it up), which hasn't been possible with the last few Nvidia cards.

From the leaked pictures (assuming they are real) it looks like ati is going the stupidly long route as well :(.

I've read it is about the length of a 4870X2, so it is bigger then a 4870. Is the 4870 9.5 inches or 10.5 inches long?

I've read it is about the length of a 4870X2, so it is bigger then a 4870. Is the 4870 9.5 inches or 10.5 inches long?

Not sure but I think the back of the 4870x2 is curved around the fan, so even though it's the same length as the bigger nvidia cards, it will actually fit in more cases (like the solo) because the side panels of the HDD cage don't interfere with it.

From the looks of the various leaked photos it seems the 5870 is flat across the back, so it probably won't fit, unless the pictures are wrong/deceptive and it's only 9,5 or something.

It appears the 5850 is somewhat shorter though, I may just get two of them :cool:

... and yes, I really like my Antec Solo case, I hate using a huge tower.

Back