Game Developer Quote of the Day

hehe :D
at least it doesn't have a draconian DRM... I hope :p

and in other news, pirates fixed the issue already and enjoying game while I wait impatiently for my pre-order copy to ship out :(

Kinda funny how desperate people get to get help.

They've probably already fixed it and area leisurely enjoying their pirate perks of early release, no CD required, and no DRM.

Meanwhile I wait for the 20th or so when my pre-order will arrive. After which I will have to keep up with and swap in the CD every time I want to play and deal with DRM. Paying customer FTL :(

I could complain all day about people I can't control or I can wait until the game comes out and legitimately complain if the game actually has bugs that need to be fixed. I will choose the latter, play my game as it was intended and not have to hunt for the work around every time I want to play said game.

While I enjoyed the developers wit on this, there is little to no redeeming value in most DRM protections. I will gladly authenticate my copy of a game upon install or even 6 months later if it's relatively painless. I absolutely hate Disc-in-drive protections, once the game's installed the disc goes in a drawer and needs to stay there. GTA: IV is a perfect example of a game that sits in it's box because I have plenty of other games installed and ready to go without tracking down a disk. I'm sure it can be chalked up to laziness but I have 4 gamers in my house two of them pre-teen and keeping track of every game disk is a real PITA.

I pre-ordered the game for 360 from BB... and then on the very first day they were "out of stock". In fact, they got their next shipment on friday following release day, and then they were still sold out. So i cancelled my order and bought a copy from my friend who already beaten it.

BB sucks.

Hopefully this 'DRM' is foolproof. It would suck if you were automatically considered a pirate with no hope for appeal just because the system was triggered by a mod or an actual bug.

They've probably already fixed it and area leisurely enjoying their pirate perks of early release, no CD required, and no DRM.

Meanwhile I wait for the 20th or so when my pre-order will arrive. After which I will have to keep up with and swap in the CD every time I want to play and deal with DRM. Paying customer FTL :(

That issue was fixed the same day the game was leaked, which was about 7-8 days ago.

See? That wasn't so hard wasn't it? What it has already a workaround? Damn!! This is the equivalent of WWII cipher wars.

Or you just buy it through Steam and not deal with a disc. ;)

I wish all games did something like this instead of DRM. I mean imagine if a dev just had a level that was literally unbeatable I think that would be more of a deterrent than DRM. Imagine if you had got a game for free and then you were stuck on a level until you paid. Great big ol' middle finger to all the pirates.

I wish all games did something like this instead of DRM. I mean imagine if a dev just had a level that was literally unbeatable I think that would be more of a deterrent than DRM. Imagine if you had got a game for free and then you were stuck on a level until you paid. Great big ol' middle finger to all the pirates.

they've been doing this kinda thing for years now, no biggie for the crackers

I think companies still use DRMs because there are enough pirates out there who don't know how to circumvent them.

I think companies still use DRMs because there are enough pirates out there who don't know how to circumvent them.

DRMs are for the average user, better yet, for the non-hacker population, they can only download the game but without the crack the complete ISO is as good as nothing, until the crack is released that is :eek:

BWahahahahahaahahaha!!!! Great quote!

Pirate 0, Developer 1. :D

And this is what happens when ever joe blow learns about P2P and downloads "bad" releases of games that were likely nuked anyways

by now means will this stop piracy in any manner at all, it just wasnt properly "by-passed" is all, and this person is just immensly stupid who made their post for help.

DRMs are for the average user, better yet, for the non-hacker population, they can only download the game but without the crack the complete ISO is as good as nothing, until the crack is released that is :eek:

True. If it's somebody that really wants to steal the game they will wait for a crack to allow them to do it.

This though is a step in the right direction with DRM in my opinion. It doesn't appear to effect the paying customer but it will stop casual piracy which is what they want to do.

While I enjoyed the developers wit on this, there is little to no redeeming value in most DRM protections.
True, but remember that it's not the developers that make the decision on DRM, but the publishers, i.e. the guys who are usually paying for the game as well as its marketing and distribution. They'll try anything to reduce piracy. The developer's remark isn't "invalidated" by the presence of DRM, because he's taking a jab at the poster for illegally downloading the game, not necessarily for trying to evade the DRM (which a legitimate customer could do, if the game were out yet).

If they employed some glitch that could not be circumvented, but only later in the game after the "pirate" has had a chance to fully demo the game, then I'd be fine with that.

I think a large number of pirates are simply demo'ing games. That's not pirating at all IMO. It just increases sales of good games, and decreases sales of bad games. That's how it should be. You really shouldn't have to buy games/movies/music without being able to more thoroughly experience them first.

At least with a lot of software we have "30-day trials." That's fair.

It's too bad the real pirates ruin this for us. If all pirates were legit, then the companies might just release better demo versions and the like (am I delusional? probably).

If they employed some glitch that could not be circumvented, but only later in the game after the "pirate" has had a chance to fully demo the game, then I'd be fine with that.

I think a large number of pirates are simply demo'ing games. That's not pirating at all IMO. It just increases sales of good games, and decreases sales of bad games. That's how it should be. You really shouldn't have to buy games/movies/music without being able to more thoroughly experience them first.

At least with a lot of software we have "30-day trials." That's fair.

It's too bad the real pirates ruin this for us. If all pirates were legit, then the companies might just release better demo versions and the like (am I delusional? probably).

I agree, more games should have demos. But since most games doesn't, I then rely on game magazine reviews, like IGN or Gamespot :eek:

Some pirates like to say something like this: "if you like the game, buy it"
which translates to, "if you want to play online (multiplayer) buy the game" :D

I'm a fence sitter on the issue of piracy. But that quote is a huge F U to that guy, and funny as hell.

I loved it, hilarious x 10

Just make the games for only Apple computers and you won't have of these profits..er problems.

There should be a message that says "This is what you get from pirating the game. Go buy the game." or something, because there is no way for the person to know it's a deliberate bug and so they assume the game is broken and instead of making him buy the game he doesn't because he thinks he would still have the same problem.

There should be a message that says "This is what you get from pirating the game. Go buy the game." or something, because there is no way for the person to know it's a deliberate bug and so they assume the game is broken and instead of making him buy the game he doesn't because he thinks he would still have the same problem.

I agree; this 'bug' could backfire. Sure, it might seem nice to stick it to the pirates, but what if the company gets burned because lots of people thought the game was buggy?

Plus, we don't know how often false positives occur or under what conditions. I have a hard time believing that it's a foolproof system; unfortunately a customer could be denied support if this happens due to an actual bug - a bug that may not be corrected because the customer is assumed to have no credibility.

Just make the games for only Apple computers and you won't have of these profits..er problems.

you will have more piracy since an Apple you can literally drag the game folder over to another computer and off you go, due to no registry.

I like that idea. With the glide bug, you get all the pirates screaming in forums all over the place that the game is broken and buggy. This, in turn causes other would be paying customers to write the game off with out trying it, figuring it will just give them grief. Most people want to play games, not spend time troubleshooting.

You mean like Titans Quest which caused there development studio to collapse because the game was so pirated, all the real people heard was how buggy the game was and never got it?

It was designed to randomly CTD if it was pirated. Didn't work out well for them.

You mean like Titans Quest which caused there development studio to collapse because the game was so pirated, all the real people heard was how buggy the game was and never got it?

It was designed to randomly CTD if it was pirated. Didn't work out well for them.

TQ also isn't even worth playing with out the fan patch, it's too bad the game didn't get more official support.

Whatcha gonna do if steam goes out of business?

Keep your games backed up, google for the cracked version of steam, and for your multiplayer games look into garena and hamachi. Steam employees have also said in the past that they would offer a fix that allowed play of backed up games in the event that they closed, but I have never seen one of their employees actually put it in print on the forums. In any case, it seems that steam will be around for quite a while. Valve seems very happy with the money it is making.

Back