Top 4 physics middlewares.

Atech

2[H]4U
http://www.bulletphysics.com/wordpress/?p=88

The August 2009 issue of Game Developers Magazine features an article about game middleware, written by Mark Deloura. They surveyed over 100 senior developers of various development houses, mainly working on PC, PlayStation 3 or XBox 360.
According to the article, developers like having access to the full source code. When purchasing a Havok or PhysX license, some of the core algorithmic implementations, such as the core constraint solver or collision detection internals are not exposed.

PhysX is rated number 1 at 26.8%,
Havok comes 2nd at 22.7%,
Bullet third at 10.3%,
Open Dynamics Engine fourth at 4.1%.

(In the link you can buy access to full top 10 list)

So the bottom line is, some 3 years after PhysX lanunched it has overtaken the 9 year old competitor, Havok.
Makes you wonder what the next 3 years will to the table.

Not surprising really. PhysX has a lot to offer to developers, over other physics APIs, so it's no surprise that they choose it over Havok, which was the most widely used not long ago.

Unlike some of the naysayers, which post countless threads about "payments" and "removing effects in favor of PhysX" (which is hilarious really), the truth is developers choose what's best for their games. Games that they want to sell to us.

lacking?

How about Darkest of Days?
or a new Batman game?

They (kinda) are the only 'par' games for Physx

The Batman game is a good game but Darkest of Days is no better than Cryostasis, good PhysX implementation doesn't mean that the game would be good. Here is a review from ign:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/102/1023108p2.html
Darkest of Days indeed. This first-person shooter from 8monkey Labs fails on nearly all fronts. A promising narrative setup is roasted over a bonfire of mangled mechanics, poor presentation, and sloppily implemented missions and objectives. The dynamics of the large scale firefights the game offers are wrecked by erratic and unbelievable enemy behavior, and the poor visuals certainly don’t help. With more development time and a more clever use of the time-traveling concept, this could have been an interesting shooter. As it is, it’s an arduous trip on which nobody should embark.

yeah...

I don't like how these developers of bad games are pushing physx features as their main points (but then, it's all they have).

While Physx is good, these crap games are giving it a bad rep (so far).

yeah...

I don't like how these developers of bad games are pushing physx features as their main points (but then, it's all they have).

While Physx is good, these crap games are giving it a bad rep (so far).

IMO what Physx should have done (and I'm surprised that it's still not after these years) from the very beginning was get some small independent devs on board to create mini games (world of goo types) that actually allow physx to shine (Cellfactor was not it). Basically a Wii Sport bundle model. Instead of trying to jump straight to the big league with EA games etc which have dev cycles too long to utilize launch buzz. I get the feeling that many use physx now only because its free and not what it can do.

Hell, a bathtub mini game with physx accelerated water + rubber duckies would have been great.

IMO what Physx should have done (and I'm surprised that it's still not after these years) from the very beginning was get some small independent devs on board to create mini games (world of goo types) that actually allow physx to shine (Cellfactor was not it). Basically a Wii Sport bundle model. Instead of trying to jump straight to the big league with EA games etc which have dev cycles too long to utilize launch buzz. I get the feeling that many use physx now only because its free and not what it can do.

Hell, a bathtub mini game with physx accelerated water + rubber duckies would have been great.

I wish.

I have a 9800gt with little to do (not that I game much), except watch old Physx demos?

Back