new system problems, GA-P55M-UD2

HeyImLance

Weaksauce
I'm building a new system and have run into some problems, I appreciate any help what so ever!

I think that the problem may be some defective memory. When the ram is in, the system powers up for 3 seconds, then resets. No beeps, nothing, everything powers up for 3 sec, then bam resets and it does this endlessly. I can't get the system to post, no video, nothing.

When the ram is out, I just get a continuous series of short beeps, I can't even count how many there are, but it happens for about 8 to 10 seconds then starts over again. The manual says that 9 short beeps is a power problem. This is well over 9, its more like holding down a key on the keyboard for the annoying beep.

I'm using an i7-860

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

You have a 8 pin connector on your psu you need to plugin to your mobo. The slot is usually in the top left, near the cpu.

Will it boot with one stick of memory in any of the slots (try any sticks you have lying around)?

Will it boot with one stick of memory in any of the slots (try any sticks you have lying around)?

No it wont, I tried all variations of the memory, filled both blues, filled both whites, and then tried each slot individually, with both sticks. That just does the same reset every 3 seconds thing.

No it wont, I tried all variations of the memory, filled both blues, filled both whites, and then tried each slot individually, with both sticks. That just does the same reset every 3 seconds thing.

Does the memory voltage say anything about being above the regular JEDEC voltage standard for DDR3? I used to have problems like that when the memory needed more than stock voltage to even boot.

I'd say either it's mobo not receiving enough power or cpu is overheating. You haven't connected something properly.

I'd say either it's mobo not receiving enough power or cpu is overheating. You haven't connected something properly.

I've checked all connections multi times. All power is plugged into the MB and secure. The only things I have installed are the cpu and ram.

It is possible to stick pci-e connector to that 8 pin slot, i hope you didnt do that?

It's a completely new build, psu, mb, ram and cpu are new. I have many years experience building comps. I'm leaning towards it being bad memory.

You're probably right, although it could also be a bad PSU. Hard to tell without swapping out parts.

I'm seeing the same problems...exact same motherboard, cpu and memory.
I also tried a true blue intel board and it did the 3 long beep "bad memory" thing.

Any way to tell if this ram is certified or not?

It's listed as 1.5V ram (one of the reasons I bought it).

I have zero desire to OC this setup, it's mostly for work.

With this being intel's 3rd chipset/cpu to support DDR3 you think they'd have gotten this right by now?

Last edited:
Although I am an ASUS rep the issue sounds like a memory initialization issue. Most likely the memory timing or voltage is not fully supported. I would advise checking with GB and seeing if they have an updated bios. This is one of the reasons we spent a lot of time with Corsair (and others) as a launch partner to ensure memory compatibility and why we also offer our MEM OK hardware solution to be able to initialize memory that may be too new to be validated or new adjustments to timings, frequency or voltage to ensure a post and boot (without user interaction). I wish you the best of luck in resolving the issue but check GB webpage for their memory QVL list or contact them directly. Although even if they have an updated bios it will be tricky for you to update to the newer build as you cannot post the system, so regardless you may need to replace your memory kit and go with something that has already been ceritied. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Although I am an ASUS rep the issue sounds like a memory initialization issue. Most likely the memory timing or voltage is not fully supported. I would advise checking with GB and seeing if they have an updated bios. This is one of the reasons we spent a lot of time with Corsair (and others) as a launch partner to ensure memory compatibility and why we also offer our MEM OK hardware solution to be able to initialize memory that may be too new to be validated or new adjustments to timings, frequency or voltage to ensure a post and boot (without user interaction). I wish you the best of luck in resolving the issue but check GB webpage for their memory QVL list or contact them directly. Although even if they have an updated bios it will be tricky for you to update to the newer build as you cannot post the system, so regardless you may need to replace your memory kit and go with something that has already been ceritied. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks for the reply, its nice to have my initial suspicion reaffirmed. I'll be picking up some more ram this week and hopefully that does the trick.

Just checked the GB website and the memory compatibility for this motherboard.
This memory is claimed to be tested and supported by gigabyte.

So what decent memory will work in this board (that won't be overclocked) ?
For certain I don't feel I can trust gigabyte's page on this one.

Last edited:
From anandtech forums....

I read both this thread and the one you started over at HardOCP, as I had the exact same issue with the exact same hardware you listed. I went ahead and bought some Corsair RAM from their Core i5 "approved" list.

http://www.corsair.com/products/corei5/default.aspx

I bought the CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 kit, the 4gb DDR3 1600 CAS 8 one. Works like a charm so far.

Problem has been solved, it was the memory. I'm using the same memory listed above and everything is flawless.

glad it worked out for you...
how do you like the Giga mobo so far?
Im really thinking about using it in my p180 Mini build...
did you have any other issues?

In the manual, it says "power" but really it should say you have the ram in the wrong slots, refer to the diagram specifying 1,3

Back