2x 80gb x25m g2 vs 1x 160gb x25m g2

darkz179

Limp Gawd
Ok i have searched everywhere and cant find the answer i am looking for...

I am looking to get either 2 80gb x25m's in a raid 0 array, or 1 160gb x25m. I am concerned about the TRIM issue with raid. would it be more worthwhile to get the 2 80gb or the 1 160gb and use TRIM? I will be using this for my OS/Apps/Games and have a 1tb drive for storage and stuff of that sort. So what do you guys think i should do?

1 160gb

RAID0 will make your access times higher, TRIM wont work, and you have RAID0 issues to worry about.

Single drive you get the same space, get to use TRIM, and no raid to mess with.

1 160gb

RAID0 will make your access times higher, TRIM wont work, and you have RAID0 issues to worry about.

Single drive you get the same space, get to use TRIM, and no raid to mess with.

Exactly. I tried this exact setup and raid0 access times tripled from .01ms to .03ms! It was horrible. Then you absolutely need TRIM, these intel drives seriously bog down once ever cell has been written to once. And obviously, as Nitro said, you'd have the raid0 problems to worry about with having to backup anything you don't want to lose when one drive fails. For all that trouble all you would get is ~50% more speed.

I would think that Intel will update their drivers to enable TRIM to work in RAID eventually, right? Or maybe release a tool that has to be manually run to do the trimming.

I would think that Intel will update their drivers to enable TRIM to work in RAID eventually, right? Or maybe release a tool that has to be manually run to do the trimming.

It has nothing to do with Intel SSDs.

It has to do with the RAID controller. HW raid controller present a volume to the OS, and as such the OS does not see a Seagate drive or an Intel SSD for that matter. The OS sees, Intel RAID volume, or LSI RAID volume, Areca, etc.

Supposedly for those of us that run OCZ drives on an ICH10R the latest beta Intel Matrix RAID drivers will allow TRIM to be passed to the RAID.

But its up to the RAID card manufacturers to do this. not the SSD manufacturers.

It has nothing to do with Intel SSDs.

It has to do with the RAID controller. HW raid controller present a volume to the OS, and as such the OS does not see a Seagate drive or an Intel SSD for that matter. The OS sees, Intel RAID volume, or LSI RAID volume, Areca, etc.

Supposedly for those of us that run OCZ drives on an ICH10R the latest beta Intel Matrix RAID drivers will allow TRIM to be passed to the RAID.

But its up to the RAID card manufacturers to do this. not the SSD manufacturers.

Why exclusive to OCZ drives? Shouldn't any drive that supports TRIM work on the ICH10R once that update comes out?

Why exclusive to OCZ drives? Shouldn't any drive that supports TRIM work on the ICH10R once that update comes out?

Im just saying what I saw on the OCZ forums a week ago.
It may work, but im not gonna sit here and tell you it will ;)

I'm running the latest ICH9R drivers for my raid (9.1.1.1019) so perhaps it's already working for me. I understand what you mean about the RAID controller needing to support it. Hopefully more and more manufacturers will do this in the future.

EDIT: Also, when I originally said "Intel will update their drivers" I meant their RAID drivers. My apologies for not being clear.

Back