Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

SC385

[H]ard|Gawd
All that's required is a .edu e-mail address just like the Office 2007 Ultimate Steal deal.

A few more details from FatWallet and the comments below -

• This is a Digital Copy
  • To get the disks it is an extra $13
  • You can choose 32bit or 64bit
  • You can choose win 7 Professional (there's an area that says "Need to connect to your school's network? Click here")

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/st...=RwndlgoBAkcAAF1zPqoAAAA5&rests=1253208223778

Last edited:
why would any student pay $30 when they can sign up for msdnaa and get 4 keys for $20?

why would any student pay $30 when they can sign up for msdnaa and get 4 keys for $20?

Because this is open to any student (not just IT students like the MSDNAA is theoretically limited to). Also the MSDNAA deal is dead for now at least through ACM as they have pulled Win7 from the list of available apps.

Becaue they are not a developer and would prefer to have a retail box with real support as opposed to downloading their copy of windows and have a key on a piece of paper.

Because this is open to any student (not just IT students like the MSDNAA is theoretically limited to). Also the MSDNAA deal is dead for now at least through ACM as they have pulled Win7 from the list of available apps.

Exactly. Plus many universities allow students to keep their e-mail addresses after they graduate.

Also, this isn't a retail box, this is a key provided online. Disks are an extra $13 bucks, read the T&Cs.

So is this an upgrade or a full version? I just entered my old virginia tech email addy and I qualified. I bought Vista x32/x64 Ultimate upgrade via windows marketplace when Vista came out, and later ordered the discs...hey even $30 + $13 for the discs isn't too bad.

Also, any idea whether they include both the x32 and x64 versions?

Meh, I'm going to a launch event on the 28th and getting it for free. Good deal though.

Sweet my buddy won't want he is in grad school at Texas, I'll take it for him for $30 thanks.

boo, Home Premium!

Still a good deal, but why couldn't they have done Professional? Pretty smart now that I think back on it about how Microsoft is just floating the market with all the different versions of Windows 7 for tech savvy people, I don't know how many times I've had people looking at my computers running Win7 and just absolutely love it (except certain friends who are calling it Mojave and still swear by XP).

there is a professional ver., you just gotta look for it...
I got mine. 45 bucks for a pro version, just great.

How did you find the pro version so I can update the first post.

yeah i would be inrested int he pro edition, already got the home though hopefully they'll let me just upgrade or possibly get both.

How did you find the pro version so I can update the first post.

I couldn't find it either.

From FW:

" You can choose win 7 Professional (there's an area that says "Need to connect to your school's network? Click here") "

Just to be clear, this is upgrade only, right? If I don't have windows currently, then I cannot use this deal, right?

Im waiting/praying for the "The Ultimate Steal" microsoft college discount of windows 7 ultimate, they have had windows vista ultimate since it came out for 69$.

Just to be clear, this is upgrade only, right? If I don't have windows currently, then I cannot use this deal, right?

Installing a custom version of Windows. Choose Custom to completely replace your current operating system, or to install Windows on a specific drive or partition that you select. You can also use Custom if your computer does not have an operating system, or if you want to set up a multiboot system on your computer. For more information about setting up a multiboot system, see Install more than one operating system (multiboot).

Installing a custom version of Windows. Choose Custom to completely replace your current operating system, or to install Windows on a specific drive or partition that you select. You can also use Custom if your computer does not have an operating system, or if you want to set up a multiboot system on your computer. For more information about setting up a multiboot system, see Install more than one operating system (multiboot).

I saw that, but the product specifically says "Windows 7 Upgrade", both on the product page and when you add it to your cart. As with prior versions of Windows, you could not purchase an upgrade version without a valid key. I never purchased an upgrade, but I was under the impression that during the install (even a "custom install") it will verify the product key of your previous version at some point.

I'm not trying to argue, and in fact I'd love to be wrong here, but I just don't see how I can purchase an "upgrade" if I don't have an original key to upgrade from.

MSDNAA via ACM or IEEE is for students taking CS / CIS / Engineering / etc classes. Technically. Abuse of this is probably why ACM has reportedly taken down win7 from their list (my IEEE account still has win7).

This is a good option for non-tech students.

Does the WinXP to Win7 Upgrade make you do a complete re-install? My little mind keeps making me think I read somewhere that if you Upgrade from WinXP to Win7 you have to do a fresh install, unlike Vista to Win7(which is fine, just curious).

Does the WinXP to Win7 Upgrade make you do a complete re-install? My little mind keeps making me think I read somewhere that if you Upgrade from WinXP to Win7 you have to do a fresh install, unlike Vista to Win7(which is fine, just curious).

Yes, clean install. Which rocks imo.

i am gettting professional it is the same price 29 dollars. when you enter your email and get verified and follow the link given in your email. it will take you to the home premium screen. but right below it, it will say,"need to join your schools domain name" cus home premium does not have that feature, just click on that and select windows 7 professional, same price 29 dollars it is a steal if you ask me. I am gonna order it now.

win7c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hope this helps. good luck. I will be ordering close to release cuz the promotion is good until january 2010.

Last edited:
Thanks. I preordered a pro copy with disks. I'm glad I was able to keep my college email address after graduating.

OK... If I can do a clean install with this, I'm totally in.

Actually, XP forces you to do a clean install, does it not? The machine that would be getting upgraded is running XP 32-bit.

It says it is good until Jan 2010 but they reserve the right to end the promotion at any time. They don't charge your card until it ships so you may want to jump on it now just in case.

Because I'm only taking one class, therefore I don't qualify for MSDNAA.

This is a pretty good deal, I ordered 64-bit Professional w/disks.

Thanks for the link dudes!

hope this helps. good luck. I will be ordering close to release cuz the promotion is good until january 2010.

From what I read after ordering they only do a preauthorization on your credit/debit card, which typically drops off after a few days depending on your issuer's policies. You're not actually charged until the release date.

I have an Unused OEM XP-Home 32bit key I bought from newegg, will the Win7 Pro upgrade work with this? When I install, I install as if I am installing a new full version of Win7?

Also, what if I install Win7RC, must i reinstall once this is released?

Last edited:
Regarding the clean install, I hope it's like the Windows XP Prof clean install, where after booting off the CD it just asks you to put in a previous version of the O/S. I remember I always put in a copy of Windows 2000 Prof, it read the disk and then I was good to go.

I saw that, but the product specifically says "Windows 7 Upgrade", both on the product page and when you add it to your cart. As with prior versions of Windows, you could not purchase an upgrade version without a valid key. I never purchased an upgrade, but I was under the impression that during the install (even a "custom install") it will verify the product key of your previous version at some point.

I'm not trying to argue, and in fact I'd love to be wrong here, but I just don't see how I can purchase an "upgrade" if I don't have an original key to upgrade from.

I'm also confused by this. I want to install this on a PC I built that does not have an OS on it. I do not have a copy of Vista or XP. Can I do a clean I stall with this even though it says upgrade? Will I need to buy a copy of XP?

Back