Length of the 5870

ToastyBread

Limp Gawd
Hey,

When somebody gets their 5870 tomorrow or such, can we get an accurate measurement of the card by chance?

I've seen the length listed in reviews as being anywhere from 10" to 11.5", and so a nice accurate measurement from somewhere here would be much appreciated. :D

I'm trying to see whether I'll be able to easily fit it into the mATX case I'm going to be using for my next build. If it's on the upper end of the different lengths mentioned, I'll probably have to go with a 5850 :(

It's approximately 10.5" - 10.75" depending on if you count the fins on the intake holes.

The 5850 is 9"

no the 5870 is 11 inches, the 5850 is 9.5 inches

ogw845.jpg

no the 5870 is 11 inches, the 5850 is 9.5 inches

its 10.75" counting the fins its clearly stated in the [H] review.

"Here is the Radeon HD 5870 installed into our test system. You will want to watch out for clearance, this video card clocks in at a full 10.75" inches long to the edge of the red vents on the back."

That's a long freaking card. Even a quarter inch longer than Nvidia's longest video card atm. Glad I bought a full tower case recently!

maybe someone will release a card with a shorter custom PCB.

The PCB is not the issue. I read a review saying that the plastic casing of the cooler is what makes it so long. The PCB is shorter than 11". I forget which review said that now.

Using the same PCB and a different cooler should shorten the card enough to fit in more cases.

The PCB is not the issue. I read a review saying that the plastic casing of the cooler is what makes it so long. The PCB is shorter than 11". I forget which review said that now.

Using the same PCB and a different cooler should shorten the card enough to fit in more cases.

The PCB is an (one) issue. Yes, the PCB is shorter than 11", the whole card is shorter than 11". The plastic vents make the card ~10,75", the PCB is ~10.5". Still too big. It won't fit mine, OP's got a mATX case, it probably still wouldn't fit his.

I'm taking out my harddrive cage entirely.

To be fair, the GTX 200's wouldn't have fit in my case either.

The PCB is an (one) issue. Yes, the PCB is shorter than 11", the whole card is shorter than 11". The plastic vents make the card ~10,75", the PCB is ~10.5". Still too big. It won't fit mine, OP's got a mATX case, it probably still wouldn't fit his.
Well, people have gotten the 10.5" GTX cards easily in, and supposedly some have even gotten 11.5" cards to fit in the Rogue (it's mATX in name only, it's more like a mini-ATX tower that limits itself to holding mATX motherboards).

The 11.5" cards usually get pretty close to the front of the case though, so 11" or 11.1" or whatnot for a card would be cutting it slightly close.

10.75" should be able to fit snugly but nicely.

If you can, wait, maybe someone will release a card with a shorter custom PCB.
Could happen, there are several 4850's that are shorter than 9.5". Although I've been waiting a year for someone to release any GTX 2xx in 9.5" and it never happened :(

Could happen, there are several 4850's that are shorter than 9.5". Although I've been waiting a year for someone to release any GTX 2xx in 9.5" and it never happened :(

Some pictures show the Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X having (or looks like it) a slightly shorter PCB. If those are pictures of the final product or an early prototype no one knows. Or it could all be an optical illusion.

Back