New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

mattinv

Limp Gawd
PRE orders opened - please check www.lan-gear.com

DA_BOX_HD_5970

Good morning everybody,

I’m working with a small team on the conception of a high end, small form factor case (SFF) that will be roughly as big as the Sugo SG01 but will offer much more options in terms of compatibility with high end, “gamers” hardware.
The objective: a clean, silent, sober, ultra compact case, with excellent air flow.
I’m posting the pictures of the first prototype. Keep in minde that we have made quite a few modifications since then, not show in these pictures, but listed in the specifications.

SFF case specifications:

Release date: December 2009

- Type: Micro ATX case, desktop, compact
- Weight: 3.17kg
- Material: 100% aluminium (1.5mm & 2mm)
- Power supply: not included
- Motherboard: Micro-ATX
- Side Window: available on some models
- 5”1/4 bay: 1
- 3”1/2 bay: 2
- 2”1/2 bay: 4
- Fans: 140mm: 1, 120mm: 2, 92mm: 2, 60mm: 1
- Dimension: 370mm (L) x 287 mm (l) x 214 mm (h) (23L)
- Ports: 2 USB, 2 Audio
- Compatible water cooling

Advantages of the case:
- Compact, portable (designer bag available in option)
- 100% aluminium Frame , 1.5mm.
- Brushed aluminium finish
- Motherboard tray for easy installs
- Compatible with heatsinks as high as 190 mm
- Compatible with long graphic cards up to 340mm long, thus including HD5870, HD5890, HD5870X2,...
- Compatible with ATX power supply and extra long ones.
- Separation of heat zones
- Hand screws
- Dust filters
- Anti theft system

Configuration of the prototype
• Intel Q9550
• Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000
• MB: DFI LP JR P45-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P45 Micro ATX Intel
• RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2 GO) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
• Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
• Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
• Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
• 2 GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP -> CrossFire

DA_BOX_pres2.jpg

DA_BOX_pres3.jpg
img6170l.jpg

With a core i5 :
DA_BOX_pres10.jpg

DA_BOX_pres15.jpg

red_edition5.jpg

DSC04922rd.jpg

We would REALLY appreciate your feedback.
I will also post the picture (rendering) of the latest revision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW READERS: today's topic (10/07/09):
!!!VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!! LIMITED EDITION?
The way we have it set up now, it's anodized black outside and inside (for the "all black version").
We looked at the possibility of anodizing the inside red. But we can do any color, for the same price as black.
Anybody else interested in a limited edition?
We can also yellow chromate the inside. This special edition would be much cheaper than all black anodize inside.
Please, let me know where you stand so that I can get a line dedicated for the ones of you interested.;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORDERS - Stores

Feel free to suggest the new case to New Egg so that I can have a nice big fat order, and have it priced right! The more inquiries, the more store who pick DA BOX, the better the price will be. Budget is super tight right now, so I'll take all the help I can get from you guys, and this is the best thing you can do to help make it happen!
This is the link: >>>>https://secure.newegg.com/FeedBack/ShallWeCarry.aspx<<<<
I'm working very hard to keep the cost low right now, but any help from you guys would be really welcome. So go ahead, blast them! Lets get this baby out!!!

Last edited:
If I were to build a MATX Lanbox, it would probably be exactly like this. This case is perfect, excellent job. I'd be SERIOUSLY interested in buying one when it is released.

This is just to show a very small selection of popular heat sinks that can fit in the case.
We picked the biggest one to build this first config. We actually got limited in the layout because of the heatsink on the NB of the DFI Lanparty! Otherwise, the CPU fan would have been placed differently to suck air from the front of the case instead of behind the CG.

Very Sweet! I put together a few SFF; Two Shuttle and one using the Antec NSK 1380. With the shuttles, you pretty much had to use their cpu cooler; On the Antec, it had to be low profile cooler due to the position of the power supply.

In size it looks comparable to the Antec nsk1380.

I really like that you added the holes in the back for water cooling. Great Feature.

Looks like it would be a pretty easy install, being so open......not so on many sff cases........

I like the simple look to the box. Although you have a side window it is optional and I like that. There isn't a lot of crap and it doesn't try to look, .... I can't find the word for it........ Like a robot or something.....

Where the hell did you put all those bays? Optical drive is probably covering them up, however, I would love to see pictures.

I could not see how you put the power supply in the case, however, l am guessing that it vents out the side.

I would like to see two things:

Air Flow Diagram

A few more pictures of the internals

Very Solid! I would definitely consider this for my next SFF Build. (Probably next year sometime) Would be great for a nice HTPC, as well.........

**Edit Just saw the additional pictures..........I FREAKING LOVE THE SLIDE OUT MB TRAY! I have always preferred my cases like that.......sweet.

Last edited:
nice looking case looks similar to ones i built in past. i noticed where hard drives is located and think that is going to get warm being so close to the heatsink and powersupply . maybe a nexus 430 been a better choice to help cool the hard drives while exhausting heat outside the case

Jen

I'm posting some rendered pictures of the latest revision of the case.
Keep in mind we looked at the first prototype and made improvements accordingly.
For the airflow, it goes from front to back. The power supply has it's own heat zone. It takes air from the front of the case and exhaust it on the side, without never interfering with the inside.
render9.jpg

There is enough space for 2 3.5" HDD, 4 2.5" SSD.
The optical bay is a 5.25" but has a cover on it for the look. It is supposed to be a monster inside and look very sober on the outside!
The HDD are cooled by a 92mm fan on the right side of the case.
All the air intake is on the right side and the front of the case.
The PSU is indeed routed to the back pannel.

Last edited:
Interesting...very interesting. The case looks stunning, I would buy this in a heartbeat.

I'd kind of like to see the "external" connector on the back panel relocated then. It just looks... out of place there. Just my opinion though.
I'm not sure what you call "external" connector. The only connector on the back (PSU related) is the power plug. You'd like to have your power plug somewhere else than the back?

It's shaping up nicely. The problem with the prototype visually was the almost oval grill in the front. That just looked bad to me. I like the concept, and the latest 3D rendering looks much better to me.

Good luck. I've always thought that the SFF crowd needed an option to run gaming hardware in their smaller cases.

I agree with the unattractive front design. I guess it was inspired by the Zalman GT case? How about some "easy dust-filter" feature that allows the owner to clean up the dust in the filters without actually opening the case.

I'm not sure what you call "external" connector. The only connector on the back (PSU related) is the power plug. You'd like to have your power plug somewhere else than the back?

I think he means an internal extension cable to the back (common on some 1U rackmount designs).

nice looking case looks similar to ones i built in past. i noticed where hard drives is located and think that is going to get warm being so close to the heatsink and powersupply . maybe a nexus 430 been a better choice to help cool the hard drives while exhausting heat outside the case
Jen

The hard drives have a nice 92mm fan to cool them. The air is "fresh" and comes directly from the outside of the case.
The RAM has its own 60mm fan (optional).
Both fans at the end of the case are, relatively high flow, low noise, 120mm fans. They both exhaust the warm air from the CPU / GPU out of the case.
I need to post a picture showing the air flow to clarify this part.

I think he means an internal extension cable to the back (common on some 1U rackmount designs).

Yes, there is an internal cable that allows you to plug the case on the back although the PSU is located on the front of the case.
You can see it on the first prototype, second rows of pictures, picture on the right.
Does that answer your question?

I'd like to know this as well, and perhaps line up an order :D

Right now, the case is 100% made in USA. MSRP is between $175-$185.
We will release some more information but we are still working the last little issues and some extra upgrade we are trying to integrate. We would like to release it for Thanksgiving.
But in the mean time, let us know what you'd like to have in this case. "Perfect" is probably not possible, but close to your needs would be nice.
So we'll wait to hear from you what you like and don't like!:)

Last edited:
I'd like to know this as well, and perhaps line up an order :D

LOL! My thoughts exactly.

Though I do an aesthetic issue with the case: the round opening at the front of the case makes it look a lot a cheap-o case to me. I would prefer a rectangular opening keeping similar to what Silverstone and Lian-Li cases have. Examples:
$95 - Silverstone SG05B mITX Case with FSP SFX 300W PSU
$86 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B Case

Do you have any pictures available of the non-windowed models? No offense but those windows remind me of the ugly windows on the Thermaltake cases. For the non-windowed models, is it safe to assume that there will to be perforated holes or slots/vents on the sides of the case for cooling?

Yes, there is an internal cable that allows you to plug the case on the back although the PSU is located on the front of the case.
You can see it on the first prototype, second rows of pictures, picture on the right.
Does that answer your question?

Sorry! I wan't the one who asked the question.

Nice case, though.

I have a slimline case, (external PSU), with a HD4830 in it (90 degree PCIeX16 riser card).
I still like slim cases better then big cubes. (just my opinion)

I agree with the unattractive front design. I guess it was inspired by the Zalman GT case? How about some "easy dust-filter" feature that allows the owner to clean up the dust in the filters without actually opening the case.

Definitely some sort of easily removable dust filter would be amazing. A slide-out filter a la Silverstone's front filter on the FT01, Corsair's bottom psu filter on the 800D, and LL's front filter on the x500. This is the sort of thing I would pay another 10 bucks to have on a case.

I also agree that the front design is ugly.

won't running a card that has more length than the 4850 cause problems with clearance around the PSU?

The hard drives have a nice 92mm fan to cool them. The air is "fresh" and comes directly from the outside of the case.
The RAM has its own 60mm fan (optional).
Both fans at the end of the case are, relatively high flow, low noise, 120mm fans. They both exhaust the warm air from the CPU / GPU out of the case.
I need to post a picture showing the air flow to clarify this part.

what do you consider high flow and low noise ? the second rendering is much better fron face as others have noted as well. when you decide to take orders on this case i would be interested in one

won't running a card that has more length than the 4850 cause problems with clearance around the PSU?

that is my thoughts as well is reason i suggested a nexus 430 powersupply as it would be shorter

Jen

We totally eliminated the grill on the front for design reasons:D. The air comes now from an opening under the front of the case. Which also makes the front very nice and clean!

:cool:Woooow!! :eek: I can't keep up with all your questions guys.
I'll try to do my best.

#1 With a standard ATX power supply, you can fit any graphic cards up to 340mm without clearance problems. Although it is getting very tight if your graphic card is 300+mm long.
In the prototype, we mounted an extra long ANTEC quattro, which fits fine with the 4850 / 4870.
We planned on people not mounting PSU over 800W because the case is designed with portability in mind. Large PSU over 850W are not widely used and more adapted to large ATX case. But they do fit in this case...;)

#2 The grill on the front of the case will totally disappear in the new revision, with a very clean front look like it is shown in the rendering.
We are thinking of using a ultra thick 2mm aluminium for the outer shell and 1.5mm for the frame. This is slightly above what we currently see in high end cases (Lian Li is pretty close on some of their cases) but the all aluminium body keeps the weight down.

#3 A fan high flow low noise: 65+ SCFM for 25 dba or less.

#4 Dust filters: we have 3. One can be removed without opening the case, the other ones don't. But the case is fairly easy to open. The problems is that it is a lot harder to design a SFF and adding dust filters and making them fit was extremely complicated. Being able to clean them without opening the case was not a priority although it was taken into account.

Last edited:
Sorry! I wan't the one who asked the question.
Nice case, though.
I have a slimline case, (external PSU), with a HD4830 in it (90 degree PCIeX16 riser card).
I still like slim cases better then big cubes. (just my opinion)

I will not disagree with you. Ultra compact, slim case, are very nice. But the mini ITX format would be more adapted. This is also a project we are working on but we'll discuss that in a few months.:p
The specific purpose of this case is to provide gamers and "lanbox" fans with a compact case compatible with high end equipment. We need to be able to fit very high end components in a very tight space while keeping them cool. Hopefully, we succeeded!

:cool:Woooow!! :eek: I can't keep up with all your questions guys.
I'll try to do my best.

#1 With a standard ATX power supply, you can fit any graphic cards up to 340mm without clearance problems. Although it is getting very tight if your graphic card is 300+mm long.
In the prototype, we mounted an extra long ANTEC quattro, which fits fine with the 4850 / 4870.
We planned on people not mounting PSU over 800W because the case is designed with portability in mind. Large PSU over 850W are not widely used and more adapted to large ATX case. But they do fit in this case...;)

#2 The grill on the front of the case will totally disappear in the new revision, with a very clean front look like it is shown in the rendering.
We are thinking of using a ultra thick 2mm aluminium for the outer shell and 1.5mm for the frame. This is slightly above what we currently see in high end cases (Lian Li is pretty close on some of their cases) but the all aluminium body keeps the weight down.

#3 A fan high flow low noise: 65+ SCFM for 25 dba or less.

#4 Dust filters: we have 3. One can be removed without opening the case, the other ones don't. But the case is fairly easy to open. The problems is that it is a lot harder to design a SFF and adding dust filters and making them fit was extremely complicated. Being able to clean them without opening the case was not a priority although it was taken into account.

I like what you're saying about the dust filters- are the other two removable once you open the case?

Also, in the latest rendering the fan above the expansion slots was changed (to avoid a top vent?) and I'm wondering what the reason was- I much prefer the initial design with a vent on top. The optical slot also has a cover now; is that cover fully removable? From the render it looks like just the slot for the tray is removable.. I'd love to be able to put a 4x2.5" drive caddy in that 5.25".

Glad the front design changed.

Based upon how the revision of the front ends up being, one thing I think would be useful would be either to have the front black color be non-glossy, so that when an optical drive/etc. is installed, the transition from case to drive is relatively "smooth", or have stealth bays where a tray drops down when the drive opens (not the most ideal of solutions, given the tray can break).

I just remember times in the past when the optical drive serves more as an eyesore because the color of black used on the case was too dark, too light or had a glossy/acrylic coating.

I like what you're saying about the dust filters- are the other two removable once you open the case?

Also, in the latest rendering the fan above the expansion slots was changed (to avoid a top vent?) and I'm wondering what the reason was- I much prefer the initial design with a vent on top. The optical slot also has a cover now; is that cover fully removable? From the render it looks like just the slot for the tray is removable.. I'd love to be able to put a 4x2.5" drive caddy in that 5.25".

Glad the front design changed.

All the dust filters are removable but for 2 of them, you have to open the case.
We change the "vent on top" because some people did not like the design and were complaining of "fatal" issue during potential LAN events (spills). Generally speaking, people prefer smooth, uniform areas. It's a question of taste and makes it very difficult to please everybody unfortunately.
The case comes with 4 x 2.5" slots. We did a cover for the 5.25" drive for aesthetic reasons. We assume you always need a 5.25" drive: DVD, Blu Ray (this is also designed to be an HTPC case), fan controllers, ...

Based upon how the revision of the front ends up being, one thing I think would be useful would be either to have the front black color be non-glossy, so that when an optical drive/etc. is installed, the transition from case to drive is relatively "smooth", or have stealth bays where a tray drops down when the drive opens (not the most ideal of solutions, given the tray can break).

I just remember times in the past when the optical drive serves more as an eyesore because the color of black used on the case was too dark, too light or had a glossy/acrylic coating.

The entire outside of the case, including the drive cover, the buttons, etc... are all brushed aluminum. We want a very clean finish/design. I apologize if the rendering does not show this details very well.

We change the "vent on top" because some people did not like the design and were complaining of "fatal" issue during potential LAN events (spills). Generally speaking, people prefer smooth, uniform areas. It's a question of taste and makes it very difficult to please everybody unfortunately.

Fair enough. Not a huge deal, and I'm not a lan gamer anyway.

The case comes with 4 x 2.5" slots. We did a cover for the 5.25" drive for aesthetic reasons. We assume you always need a 5.25" drive: DVD, Blu Ray (this is also designed to be an HTPC case), fan controllers, ...

I understand you have a cover- I want to know if the entire 5.25 bay will be clear if the cover is removed, like Lian Li's optical bezels. The render makes it look like the only openings are for the tray and the eject button.

I don't want to be a dick, but I do want this case to be freakin' sweet :)

mattinv,
I meant the port on the back panel that runs a cord to the PSU itself. The port on the outside of the case (on the back panel) is what I meant by external. I'd like to see that somewhere where it flows nicer with the case/backpanel. Once again, my two cents.

I like that the front has been cleaned up. If you guys even come anywhere near the aesthetics of the Lian Li cases I'd buy this quickly (pending price).

EDIT: To nitpick, I think round power/reset buttons of the same size would look good, but that's me. Also, will the case's 'feet' be like those found on the v350/1? They seem to be the most stable and sleek.

Last edited:
Interesting design. I'll keep my eye on its progression. I wish you and your company luck and success. :)

I like the first design better. The second design forces you to remove your mobo tray to install/remove your video cards, which can be a pain, especially in SLI/Crossfire setups. I would like to see the hard drives mounted over the back of the video cards in a removeable caddy. You would still have plenty of clearance for tower heat sinks. I would also like to see the AC power plug moved to the center or below the 120mm fan, which needs to be moved up so it can better scavange hot air at the top of the case.

I don't think anyone has asked or answered this, but what's this awesome case going to be called when it's finally completed?:D

I like the first design better. The second design forces you to remove your mobo tray to install/remove your video cards, which can be a pain, especially in SLI/Crossfire setups. I would like to see the hard drives mounted over the back of the video cards in a removeable caddy. You would still have plenty of clearance for tower heat sinks. I would also like to see the AC power plug moved to the center or below the 120mm fan, which needs to be moved up so it can better scavange hot air at the top of the case.

How is it a pain? The tray is removeable, and most PSU cables are long enough...

Two questions:
1. Do you have any pics of the PSU mounted inside of the case?
2. Will I be able to install a dual 120mm rad in lieu of the two front fans a la the Qmicra?

All-in-all, this is a bang-up job...I'm really digging this design, especially since it looks smaller than many mATX cubes currently on the market and for the most part just as versatile, if not more. :cool:

If this works out like I'm seeing, I think I'll need 2 of them. Imagine one of these stuffed to the gills with 1TB laptop HDDS (even using adapters for PCI slots and the 4x in the front bay), running WHS. Drrrrroooooool

From a modder's perspective, I'm going to disagree with the dislike of the front panel. It has an understated elegant look to it that echoes some of Silverstone's look as well as perhaps Lian Li. It doesn't make it look cheap at all; in fact with the mesh in there it really looks nice. My two cents on it and my opinion as an experienced modder. Good lob and looking forward to the final product!

Back