5870 VS 5870CF

rennyf77

2[H]4U
note: for 4870x2 cf test numbers scroll down to 10th post

note: for gtx295 sli test numbers scroll down to 16th post

just got my 5870 order in to day. thought i'd share some test results at 25x16. i decided to test with crysis warhead, dark athena, batman arkham asylum, and resident evil 5. crysis and riddick are fraps recorded actual play tests, while batman and re5 results are from the in game benchmarks. at 25x16 it's kind of necessary to have as much aniso on as possible so i forced 16x quality from catalyst. i also forced super sampled anti aliasing. my test system specs are as follows:

i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
msi x58 platinum
6gb corsair cas8 1600mhz ram @ 2t 8-8-8-24
thermal take toughpower 1000w psu
vista ultimate 64
fraps.jpg
cata.jpg
gpuz.jpg

crysis warhead:

all settings at enthusiast but no aa. fraps recorded play test of the 'hells heart' stage beginning on the train in the tunnel and ending as the train makes its first stop. the same settings were used for both the single card and crossfire tests. as you can see form the fraps log above, the first recording in single card mode returned 7 min, 33 max, and 20 avg. hardly performance i would call playable. once the second card is enabled, we get returns of 8 min, 47 max, and 28 avg. don't let the 1 fps improvement in minimum frame rate fool you, warhead became very playable, maintaining very consistent frame rate throughout the test.
warhead5870.jpg

warhead5870cf.jpg

dark athena:

in game settings at max with no aa, but ambient occlusion set to low in single card mode and high in crossfire. fraps recorded play test of the prologue beginning with riddick waking up on the beach, and ending after the run down the darkening tunnel. single card mode returned 22 min, 239 max, and 33 avg. with crossfire turned on and maximum ambient occlusions applied, we get 22 min, 603 max, and 40 avg. the extraordinarily high max numbers are anomalous recordings attributed to the times when the screen goes black during the first in game cinematic. i also noticed some slight micro stuttering during the cinematics but not during the actual game.
darkathena5870.jpg

darkathena5870cf.jpg

batman arkham asylum:

i wasn't able to play test this game because it was recently purchased, and haven't had time to play much of it. the game has a built in benchmark that is no more than a fly by of some of the locations in the game. i used fraps to record the fly by as there doesn't seem to be anything keeping track of frame rates during the test. i used maximum in game settings with physx disable or course, and 2x aa forced in catalyst for the single card test with 4x aa used for the dual card test. the benchmark returned 26 min, 53 max, and 41 avg. the crossfire test returned 16 min, 65 max, and 45 avg. the game appears much cleaner with 4x aa enabled but the 10 frame loss in mins is a bit troublesome. certainly subsequent driver releases will improve minimum frame rate performance.
batman5870.jpg

batman5870cf.jpg

re5:

this is another game i wasn't able to play much, but at least it comes with a couple of benchmarking tools. the first available benchmark is an ai simulated play test of an area in the first stage. the second benchmark is a fly by of a crowd of infected in the first. the variable test is predictably the most useful. i used maximum in game settings including 8x aa from the settings menu. i didn't use fraps to record frame rates, but the test concludes with a helpful chart of the peaks and valleys.
re5_5870_pic.jpg
re5_5870_results.jpg

re5_5870cf_pic.jpg

re5_5870cf_results.jpg

that's all for now. i'll try to update with some 4870x2 cf comparisons tomorrow, and maybe gtx295 sli tests if i manage to get my other x58 buils stable at 3.6ghz.

Last edited:
what level of SSAA did you use? 2x? if so then those frame rates are insanely good.. but you never state anywhere in there what games you used it on and at what level..

2x ssaa forced in batman on one card. 4x in crossfire. i have the ssaa switch on at all times but i don't know if it still applied when you use an in game aa setting like in re5, which i have at 8x an both single and dual card tests. in dark athena you can't have aa on at the same time as ambient occlusion.

thanks for the test! can you please chek the Crysis performance on 1920x1200? thanks in advance.

Hmm that numbers seems to high not that i don't like it or something, but they are really high. which codepath where you using, same benchmark or ?

still using the 'from hell's heart' stage, recording fraps from the train tunnel to the first stop. those are the numbers with max settings at 19x12. almost forgot, dx10 64 bit.
Crysis2009-09-3019-40-20-20.jpg

Last edited:
update time. the highlighted readings are for 4870x2 in crossfire x. in all four tests, i used the same settings as the ones for 5870 cf but i added an additional 19x12 crysis test to compare with the test psyside asked me to do a few posts above. to riterate:

crysis warhead 19x12 - enthusiast, 4x aa, 16x aniso
crysid warhead 25x16 - enthusiast, 0 aa, 16x aniso
dark athena - max in game minus aa, high ambient occlusion
batman - max in game minus physx, 4x adaptive aa, 16x aniso
re5 - max in game, 8x aa, 16x aniso
fraps3.jpg

re5_4870x2cf_pic.jpg

re5_4870x2cf_results.jpg

sweet thx for the benchmarks! I just ordered 2 5870s.. have pretty much the same setup but my processor is at 3.8ghz and 12gigs of ram, win7 rc x64 I'm coming from 2 4890s crossfired.... will be running at 1900x1200. Those crysis warhead fps sound about right.. I know they can vary from map to map. I'm upgrading hopefully get some more FPS out of my favorite RTS "men of war". It doesnt get along to well with crossfire right now so hopefully the raw performance of one 5870 will be enough.

You're probably going to hate the CFX setup mainly because how much its drivers are limited. Games that run with CFX enabled seem to run better single GPU than a CFX setup for some reason.

AION is a really good example. Card suffers from some pretty odd performance hits...

I know it's drivers, but it's bad at times. :(

well if men of war sucked with crossfire before (had stutter problem actually had lower fps xfired then single card) hopefully it runs better with the 5870s.. or atleast one right. one is about as fast as two of my 4890s.. so I finally get that higher fps I been trying for!

Thanks man,guess the test with the high fps was done with crossfire 5870 not single card thats why i found the results strange thanks for your effort ;)

the [H] evaluation of the single 5870 in warhead is spot on. i would say that their settings of enthusiast with 2x aa and 16x aniso at 19x12 barely playable for me. 4x aa is pretty bad.

this is my third and final update where i will include test numbers from a single gtx295 and dual gtx295's in sli. to summerize...

driver:

forced catalyst settings 5870: 16x aniso, super sampled aa
forced catalyst settings 4870x2: 16x aniso, adaptive aa (multi sampled only?)
forced gforce settings gtx295: 16x aniso, super sampled aa, hq texture filtering

25x16 single card game settings (no single 4870x2 test performed):
batman: max in game, no physx, 2x aa (forced via driver for ati)
warhead: enthusiast, no aa
riddick: max in game, no aa, low ambient occlusion

5870:
5870results.jpg

gtx295:
gtx295results.jpg

25x16 dual card game settings
batman: max in game, no physx, 4x aa (forced via driver for ati)
warhead: enthusiast, no aa
riddick: max in game, no aa, high ambient occlusion

5870cf:
5870cfresults.jpg

4870x2cf:
4870x2cfresults.jpg

gtx295sli:
gtx295sliresults.jpg

25x16 dual card settings in re5:
max in game, 8x aa

5870cf:
re5_5870cf_results.jpg

4870x2cf:
re5_4870x2cf_results.jpg

gtx295sli:
RE5DX102009-10-0123-08-47-80.jpg

19x12 dual card settings in warhead:
enthusiast, 4x aa

5870cf, 4870x2cf, gtx295sli:
warhead19x12.jpg

some of the results of my tests are expected while others are rather intriguing. the quad crossfire numbers for the 4870x2 are amazing in re5, absolutely demolishing the 5870 in crossfire as well as the other quad gpu setup; the sli'd gtx295's. one other interesting thing about the re5 test is that both ati solutions exhibit a precipitous dip in performance during the area 3 portion of the benchmark. the nvidia solution also exhibits a dip, albeit not as drastically. unfortunately, the x2's came up shortest in all of the other titles. the gtx295's exhibited the best performance in all three of the other games, and most noticeably in crysis warhead at 19x12 with 4x aa. the 5870's came in a distant second, but i must say felt smoother and more consistent both of the other setups. the new 5870's emerge as the jack of all trades by these small stable of tests, but i'm certain there is much more performance to be mined from these cards.

Last edited:
Dude where are you getting all these awesome video cards to test? 2x 5870, 2x4870x2 and 2xGTX295 is some serious scratch!
PS I'm surprised that RE5 kicked the GTX 295 SLI configuration down to 60 FPS! My 5870 eats that game for lunch, albeit at 1080p. :)

Back