Umm New 45nm Athlon X2 5000+?

I doubt AMD would do a 45nm version of their K8 CPU. 65W for a dual core 2.2GHz 45nm CPU? Doubt that as well.

Edit: Looks like the CPU is on AMD website, so it must be true but the power consumption is way too high especially when they could get 45W at 2.6GHz using 65nm.

Good find. I have not seen this. Although an Athlon II 245 for a few more $ would be a much better deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687
Or even the Athlon II 240 2.8ghz for about the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688

2.2ghz with 512kb L2 -vs- 2.8ghz with 1mb L2 for the same price ?

I wonder what the underlying reasons were for this release, and i wonder if there are some de-activated cores. Any takers? :)

power consumption is way too high especially when they could get 45W at 2.6GHz using 65nm.

Maybe they did not want to differentiate between the new and old so that inventory of the 65nm version would still be able to be sold and at the same time the die shrink would allow for cheaper manufacturing.

I wonder what the underlying reasons were for this release

One thing is these are AM2+ instead of AM3 which would mean you should not have any difficulty with them in older AM2 boards that may not be able to run AM3 chips or may require a BIOS update.

AMD trying to phase out the 65nm?

Weird move and unnannouced but... I'm not against it or anything lol.

interesting find indeed, i wonder how these perform compared to the old ones?

Did you guys see that these unlock to 4 cores with 6mb L3?
Guy on XS got his to unlock. Doesn't clock to great though.

They are Deneb's. AM2+...maybe bad leftover stock of the original 920/940 series before the DDR3 controller was enabled.

Very sad to see AMD sully such a great series by throwing in nearly worthless highly damaged denebs in.

2.2 at 65W? It seems even 90nm could beat that. Pathetic as not only do you have 2 cores sipping power and doing nothing but L3 that is doing the same thing.

Very sad to see AMD sully such a great series by throwing in nearly worthless highly damaged denebs in.

2.2 at 65W? It seems even 90nm could beat that. Pathetic as not only do you have 2 cores sipping power and doing nothing but L3 that is doing the same thing.

how is it pathetic that they are getting money for a part that would otherwise be trash?

The Athlon isnt their top brand so i dont know what you mean by "sully a great series"

The Brisbane series the 5000 series anything having to do with that great line of CPUs with 65nm. One of AMDs better moments.

Now they throw in this core that completely and utterly sucks in my opinion. A 45nm that is more like a 90nm part.

I'm kind of lost here, some of you guys are complaining about a processor released with the same specs but just a change in manufacturing process? The TDP is still the same 65W. The cache is the same. I don't see anything wrong w/ AMD moving as much stock as they can. Sound business decision and better use for cores that didn't make the cut.

I'm kind of lost here, some of you guys are complaining about a processor released with the same specs but just a change in manufacturing process? The TDP is still the same 65W. The cache is the same. I don't see anything wrong w/ AMD moving as much stock as they can. Sound business decision and better use for cores that didn't make the cut.

Take a look at the specs. For that same 65W you are getting FAR less power than the 65nm version.

400mhz less... in AMD's world (or the one that they SHOULD be in), thats a mountain of lost speed...

Mountain is an understatement. especially when a FAR better core is just a small amount of funds away.

Sad thing is this is going to sucker some people in. Some even thinking this is this runs Kuma. Its not.

If they wanted to get rid of these cores why not just make them exclusive to the OEM market anyway. They are still selling lots of Athlons

One person over at XS reports unlocking all 4 cores and lv 3 cache. He was able to overclock it to 3.5Ghz.

One person over at XS reports unlocking all 4 cores and lv 3 cache. He was able to overclock it to 3.5Ghz.

He was very lucky then... Very very lucky.

AMD would have to be absolutely insane to throw many good cores in with this trash. In my opinion they are just using this finagling to sneak away some absolutely horribly damaged cores on the die.

They play that game with Phenom X2s and the old fake propus cores that were actually deneb. Not this..

It's a Deneb core from the 920/940 era. Why is it ridiculous that it would unlock to a quad? Obviously it either wasn't good enough to be a 940BE or AMD decided that putting any new AM2+ DDR2 only chips out under the Phenom II moniker was a bad marketing idea. It's likely a combination of the two.

By the way...these could be left from the 715 X3 AM2+ that never materialized.

Last edited:
umm, I'm pretty sure even with the lower clock speed and same amount of cache this would still out perform any brisbane and the power consumption scales much better at idle/full load than a brisbane as well..honestly i think they put the power consumption a lot lower then stated on most chips

Last edited:
Back