5800 series overclocking results.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I am going to post my results and anyone else can feel free to add to this thread. Please include your method of overclocking and any issues you ran into or had to overcome.

Clock: 1000/1300 (almost stable)
Voltage: 1.225v
Vantage: 17,731
Method: Asus Bios flash, MSI Afterburner (custom fan profile)

EDIT: Not 100% sure the voltage adjustments are working. CPUID still reads the same GPU voltage but MSI shows its going higher. Anyone else verify this? I started to get lockups after about an hour of gaming @ 1000/1300.

Last edited:
Card: XFX 5870 1GB (Render) + Asus 9600 GSO 512MB (PhysX)
Clock: 5870 OC @ 975/1300, 9600 GSO Stock
Voltage: 1.200v
Vantage: 21k (with PhysX enabled) 19k without.
Drivers: MSI Radeon 9.10 beta driver Win7 64 bit + Nvidia 190.03 beta driver Win7 64 bit (GenL's PhysX patch 1.01 lite for win 7 64 bit to enable hardware PhysX.)
Method: AMD Overclock tool for clocks + MSI Afterburner for voltage.

Currently I got to 1030/1300, 1050 core is stable with 1.3v, but somehow VRAM does not like to go over 1300 for some reason..

Ok, let me see if I am getting this right. The Asus bios allows for a higher overclock and the MSI afterburner tool allows for voltage tweaking?

Will the Asus bios method be made redundant when a Rivatuner version supporting these cards is released?

I have gotten my Asus 5870 to 1000/1300 using MSI Afterburner. It only required a bump of the voltage to 1.212. Too bad we don't have control of memory voltage and latencies, or we might be able to hit 1400+.

Ok, let me see if I am getting this right. The Asus bios allows for a higher overclock and the MSI afterburner tool allows for voltage tweaking?

Will the Asus bios method be made redundant when a Rivatuner version supporting these cards is released?

ASUS bios allow higher overclock limit in CCC, and MSI Afterburner allow Voltage Tweak and custom fan profiler..its pretty much the same as Rivatuner but better..

From what I am seeing right now, this is way better than Rivatuner...

and somehow MSI Afterburner have some RivaTuner things in there.... :confused:

ASUS bios allow higher overclock limit in CCC, and MSI Afterburner allow Voltage Tweak and custom fan profiler..its pretty much the same as Rivatuner but better..

From what I am seeing right now, this is way better than Rivatuner...

and somehow MSI Afterburner have some RivaTuner things in there.... :confused:

MSI Afterburner is written by the same author of RivaTuner. In fact, it's just a custom tweaked version of Rivatuner. If you look at the very bottom of the app, you can see that is says "Powered by Rivatuner".

Once the newest version of Rivatuner is released, this tool shouldn't be necessary, unless you really like the looks. I still believe that Rivatuner's monitoring software is second to none.

Last edited:
Lets see some more OC results! FYI.. you need the asus bios to puch past the 900/1300 limit in CCC and in MSI Afterburner. I use MSI afterburner to OC, voltage, and Fan profile. I could not push over 900 core until I did the asus bios. This bios flash will probably not be needed after the latest Rivatuner release but to be honest I like Afterburner better.

I am really interested in seeing some overlocked 5850 benchmarks. I'm really curious as to how an OC'd 5850 stacks up against a 5870.

So let me get this right, you guys are gettting 1000 core stable or just for benchmarks?
And if the clock is stable what fan speed are you using,and what temperature the cards are producing under full load?

If the oc is stable with 1000 core are you gettting noticeable difference in games (lets say Crysis,Arma II or Stalker CS) @ XS forums there is some strange results in games with oveclocked 5870 almost no gains please post your gaming benchmarks stocks vs oc ;)

Thanks in advance!

No doubt the 5850 is a great value for the money. The 5870 is the flagship but it is the 5850 that will really pressure Nvidia. I wager as soon as the 5850 becomes widely availble, Nvidia has to react in some manner.

So let me get this right, you guys are gettting 1000 core stable or just for benchmarks?
And if the clock is stable what fan speed are you using,and what temperature the cards are producing under full load?

If the oc is stable with 1000 core are you gettting noticeable difference in games (lets say Crysis,Arma II or Stalker CS) @ XS forums there is some strange results in games with oveclocked 5870 almost no gains please post your gaming benchmarks stocks vs oc ;)

Thanks in advance!

My 5870 is completely stable, at least for all my games. In fact, I've been playing Red Faction:Guerilla for about 3 hours straight. This is a 1920X1200, 8xAA adaptive MS, 16AF with all game options on highest. Even with the GPU usage pegged at 99%, I didn't have any kind of trouble. These cards can handle the additional voltage really well, if you create a custom fan profile to keep temps down. Mine only maxes out at 45% and keeps temps around 73-75C. At stock speeds, I was averaging around 42FPS, and with my OC, I'm now around 47-48FPS. I still get dips down to the low 30's, but that's from the physics putting a strain on the CPU. I really haven't benched my card yet. Been too busy playing games.

Ok SickKlown thanks! so 1000 core is no problem for this cards it seems, really nice!!

Wonder how will that work for crossfire? does overclocking 2 cards any harder then one ? got no experience with overclocking cards in crossfire or sli.

Ok SickKlown thanks! so 1000 core is no problem for this cards it seems, really nice!!

Wonder how will that work for crossfire? does overclocking 2 cards any harder then one ? got no experience with overclocking cards in crossfire or sli.

1000 is possible with the right amount of voltage. I found 975 took a lot less voltage to get stable then 1000 so I stuck it there for daily gaming. I was able to run benches at 1000 no problem.

1000 is possible with the right amount of voltage. I found 975 took a lot less voltage to get stable then 1000 so I stuck it there for daily gaming. I was able to run benches at 1000 no problem.

That's true. I was able to run at 975/1300 on stock voltages. The only reason I pushed for 1000/1300 is because I thought I should have gotten there with my 4890, but my particular card couldn't OC past 890. So, I decided I would make up for it with this card. I only with I could manage the voltage and latencies on the memory. I would really love to get up to 5600(1400*4). 180GB/s of memory bandwidth sound juicy.

That's true. I was able to run at 975/1300 on stock voltages. The only reason I pushed for 1000/1300 is because I thought I should have gotten there with my 4890, but my particular card couldn't OC past 890. So, I decided I would make up for it with this card. I only with I could manage the voltage and latencies on the memory. I would really love to get up to 5600(1400*4). 180GB/s of memory bandwidth sound juicy.

I know what you mean, I think Asus released a GTX285 that had the options to change memory latency. I bet we could push these things high. I never tried over 1300 with my ram. Have you?

Over 1300 lowered performance, and over 1320 gave some weird issues. Everything would be going good, then the whole screen would flash green for 1 frame. From what I've seen, 1300 seems the be the limit. There are people running higher speeds, but I don't think they understand that ECC is kicking in and lowering performance. This has make testing OCs a bit more difficult now.

My 5870 is completely stable, at least for all my games. In fact, I've been playing Red Faction:Guerilla for about 3 hours straight. This is a 1920X1200, 8xAA adaptive MS, 16AF with all game options on highest. Even with the GPU usage pegged at 99%, I didn't have any kind of trouble. These cards can handle the additional voltage really well, if you create a custom fan profile to keep temps down. Mine only maxes out at 45% and keeps temps around 73-75C. At stock speeds, I was averaging around 42FPS, and with my OC, I'm now around 47-48FPS. I still get dips down to the low 30's, but that's from the physics putting a strain on the CPU. I really haven't benched my card yet. Been too busy playing games.

I have no doubt that my 5870 could reach 1000 core if I increased the juice a bit. My question is at what percentage do you have to set your fans to get that 1000/1300 stable?

I have no doubt that my 5870 could reach 1000 core if I increased the juice a bit. My question is at what percentage do you have to set your fans to get that 1000/1300 stable?

That really depends on your temp in your house and case. His fan speeds might be different then yours. just play with the MSI Afterburner. I had my max temps set up so they only hit 75C. I had it at 20% fan till about 50C then I yanked up at 80C to about 55 or 60% I think then yanked 100C up to about 80% or so. This curve was a little noisey but not to bad and it kept the card nice and cool.

I have a custom fan profile which is set up as the following. Under 40C, it's at 20%. From 40 to 50C, it's at 30%. Once it gets to 50C, it runs at 40%. If it hits 80C, then it'll raise to 50%. But, I haven't had it get past 80C yet. And at 40%, the noise is lost in the sound from my game. Also, I use an Antec 1200 for a case, so I have no problems with airflow. Scythe Slipstreams are awesome case fans.

What program to use to flash to Asus bios?

ATIFlash375, you need to setup a bootable USB disk with the Asus bios. Just do some google searches and you will find a guide with step by step instructions. One thing I did was use GPU-Z to backup my current bios file before I started.. just incase I needed to go back.

ATIFlash375, you need to setup a bootable USB disk with the Asus bios. Just do some google searches and you will find a guide with step by step instructions. One thing I did was use GPU-Z to backup my current bios file before I started.. just incase I needed to go back.

you also need a driver reinstall...:D
at least for me..

850/1000
1.187vcore.
worked trough benches and bf2 for hours.
850.PNG

Ok so is there anyone crazy enough to try 1100 core? :D

Here's a GPU-Z screenshot of my 5870's current speeds.

5870gpuzOC.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so is there anyone crazy enough to try 1100 core? :D

Here's a GPU-Z screenshot of my 5870's current speeds.

5870gpuzOC.jpg

I tried 1050, but it require nearly max voltage setting on MSI afterburner..so I give up...

just let it stay at 1030

850/1000
1.187vcore.
worked trough benches and bf2 for hours.
850.PNG

Please tell us what method of overclocking you used. Also why didn't you OC the VRAM? Great Core clock but lets see it with the VRAM clocked up and not stock 1000mhz :) I also find it strange my CPU score is higher then yours yet you have an i7 clocked higher then my Q9650?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Please tell us what method of overclocking you used. Also why didn't you OC the VRAM? Great Core clock but lets see it with the VRAM clocked up and not stock 1000mhz :) I also find it strange my CPU score is higher then yours yet you have an i7 clocked higher then my Q9650?

Heh, seems I was to tired, the msi afterburner and amd gpu tool dont work properly for me, cant adjust the voltage, it does look that way on the afterburner but when later today when I checked, it dont work.
did run 850mhz at stock 1.087v.
No wonder I crashed at 900mhz ;)

I use a i7 at 3.3ghz for that score, with HT off.

Did make a run at 3dmark06,
4ghz, HT off, 775/1125.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=12145515

Waiting for asus bios or such to make the best of it.
(watercooling atm, 35c idle.)

Heh, seems I was to tired, the msi afterburner and amd gpu tool dont work properly for me, cant adjust the voltage, it does look that way on the afterburner but when later today when I checked, it dont work.
did run 850mhz at stock 1.087v.
No wonder I crashed at 900mhz ;)

I use a i7 at 3.3ghz for that score, with HT off.

Did make a run at 3dmark06,
4ghz, HT off, 775/1125.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=12145515

Waiting for asus bios or such to make the best of it.
(watercooling atm, 35c idle.)

Ahh ok that makes sense now. Wow your cpu score at 3.3ghz is like mine at 4ghz LOL. The Asus bios will really open things up. Someone needs to load up gpu-z and export their Asus bios! I am surprised MSI Afterburner let you set the clock to 850. I thought CCC would push it back down to 775.

So rather than study for my upcoming exam, I did some extensive testing on overclocking the 5870 last night (because I have priorities like that :p). Basically, how far you can overclock this card stably is almost entirely dependent on temperature. I think the water cooling crowd is going to have a ball with these cards. Voltage has a much smaller effect, and really should be used at a minimum. I ended up using voltage to either A) push a clock higher after I had tried all other options (cooling, lowering memory, etc.) or B) stabilize a clock setting at a higher temperature (due to using lower fan speeds). For example, if I keep temps under ~77C using 45% fan, 950MHz is perfectly stable ~1.2V. To stabilize it at 85-88C (where the stock Auto fan profile keeps the card), I need 1.262V. I can run 1000MHz perfectly stable at only 1.275V if temps are kept below ~67C, which requires ~80% fan (damn, I know). I can also run 940MHz at 1.212V stable with only 33% fan and the card stays between 85-87C.

Note, I'm also running the ASUS BIOS now, which, maybe it's all in my mind, helped the card run cooler. It also really unlocked my RAM. I actual could run 1400MHz on the RAM without it crashing. However, it's obvious that error correction was kicking in - literally, games would freeze for a second or two as data was being sent over and over. Note that when you're clocking you RAM, make sure the card is hot before you start raising the clocks. The RAM is much more stable at colder temperatures.

I think my temperatures might be higher than most due to my smaller case. However, I'm really liking 940MHz/1300MHz @ 1.212V right now, and I'm considering that as my 24/7 setting since it's so quiet (33% fan :D). If you want any hard data/curve relationships from my testing, let me know. The other thing I want to work on is the cooling for the card. Three things I'm considering now are yanking off the backplate (looks like like it just traps heat in there), redoing the thermal paste on the core, and yanking off the backplate of the card. The last one may not happen as it seems they (XFX or AMD) gimped one of the screws so you can't pull of the back plate without cutting it. I'll see if I can get a tool from my Dad's workshop at home to re-tap the thread so I can extract it safely.

Thanks for the write up. I am noticing some of the same things. I have my 975/1300 setup @ 1.2V and keep my max temp under 80C and never have any problems with this. Now for 1000 I took it 1.25V and still could not get stability but could for benching. Now my benches didnt push my temps very high so I am starting to think and agree with you that 1ghz requires cooler temps to get stable. I was letting it hit ~ 80C and is probably where the problem came in for me. Either way I can do 975/1300 so easily while keeping my fans quiet so I am very happy with this card.

Back