Megahalems, mega 775, and 4 Ghz Stable

Itshondo

Weaksauce
Here's my chronicle of my quest for a stable 4.0 Ghz do-everything rig.

I started with a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 & a 6600 Conroe last year, but all I could really get out of that was about 3.4 Ghz on air.

The cooler that I was using was quiet and inexpensive and did a relatively good job of keeping the Conroe at a stable temp in all the situations I put it in.

Well last month I read that Micro Center was having a sale on the Q9550 Quad Cores, and the best steppings were in stock too. So I thought I'd run over & see if they had one.

q9550.jpg

Well, they did - and with Windows 7 on the horizon and the ability to install and use more than 4 gb of ram I decided to pick one up and see what it would do in my mobo.

I got about 3.8 out of it, but the temps were getting too high (approaching 70C) and 3.8 Ghz was the wall with the GA-965P-DS3 's chipset.

So I decided to upgrade my mobo (muhaha....)

And I went with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - wow what a nice piece of hardware!

So installed the mobo and the Q9550, then installed the Coolermaster with some AS-5.

I took it immediately ot 3.82 Ghz but the temp problems remained. So I lapped the cpu heatspreader and the base of the HSF to try to lower the temps some -

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1458718

lrjl.jpg

Well, that lowered the idle temps some but the loaded temps were still hitting 70C.

After researching the air coolers available I decided to go with a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B Heatpipe CPU Cooler from SVC -

http://www.svc.com/megahalems.html

The last time I had one of the "best" cpu coolers around was when I had a Thermalright SLK-900A on my overclocked Athlon XP 2500 Mobile, so I was really looking forward to getting it in the mail.

I picked up 2 120 X 25 mm Scythe Slip Stream 120 fans - 1200 rpm & low noise. My plan- one pushin' and one pullin' for quiet efficiency.

Here are the boxes -

Everything out of the box - hardware, thermal interface material, HSF, and support plate -

The heatsink fan itself- massive, well engineered and mega-mega -

Here's the base, reflecting a coin - cupie doll to the member that can ID the coin -

2 comparison shots of the Mega vs Coolermastrer -

And installed in my Antec 900 case -

Close up HSF goodness -

After getting it installed (it was very easy) I started the overclocking.

The Gskill memory has a stock voltage requirement of 2.0-2,1 volts, so I set that 2.08v as I was going to push it as well as the CPU & chipset with my 4 ghz demands. I kept the timings at 4-4-4-12 as well.

The EP45-UD3P set the vcore to 1.18750 volts, and with that set the system topped out at a stable 3.82 Ghz (8.5 X 450). Beyond that and things got unstable with BSODs and restarts, so I began to up the vcore.

With the overclock set to 4.0 ghz (8.5 X 471) I finally found the sweet spot for the vcore. I took my time increasing it it until I came to a "Prime Stable" state, and that voltage was 1.31250 volts - well below the max of 1.3625 recommended by Intel. -

So where will I go from here?

Well, up of course!

Last edited:
The EP45-UD3P set the vcore to 1.8750 volts, and with that set the system topped out at a stable 3.82 Ghz (8.5 X 450).

Wow...1.8750 vCore huh? Whats flaming CPU smell like? :D

Also, 45nm Intel CPU's are good up to 1.45 volts, the spec of 1.3625v is the max VID for stock clocks will be. And TjMax for the Q9550 is 100C.

Word to the wise - Slipstream 120mm fans aren't the best for heatsinks.

Good job, though, and great results!

About the temps & the cooler -

Currently Priming at 50C max and very quiet -what an inprovement -

I have the mobo set to go ballistic at the first failure....

Failure? It's that slipstreams have AWESOME cfm to noise ratio, but that's in free air, their static pressure overall sucks, and as such makes them not prime choices for HS (restrictive) applications.

What are you looking to spend? I mean your fans are doing fine, but I am sure making more noise than need be for pushing, but if you are fine with it...Leave it.

My choice for HS fans are the GT fans, if you dont have a controller I would suggest these, but if you have one or are ok with more noise than me, get these or these.

What are you looking to spend? I mean your fans are doing fine, but I am sure making more noise than need be for pushing, but if you are fine with it...Leave it.

My choice for HS fans are the GT fans, if you dont have a controller I would suggest these, but if you have one or are ok with more noise than me, get these or these.

What he said. Gentle Typhoons or SFlex fans are great for dB/CFM ratios (especially if you value your ears).

Also, both fans have 3 pin connectors and are running full speed of of the mobo headers (CPU & SYS 1)

My Q9550 E0 is early batch and takes way more voltage to go fast. Makes me want to get a newer batch.

Very nice voltages and temps on your Q9550.

After 2 days of running at 4.0 Ghz, my idle temps are 35/35/35/35.

How sweet it is!

Last edited:
very nice and very similar to my brothers setup. he has a q9550, abit x38 and a megahalem. i came over and installed the HSF for him and overclocked his chip for him (hes super lazy).

i got it up to 3.8ghz with 1.32v. max temp was 52c with a 27c ambient. might impressive the megahalem. i didnt have enough time to fiddle around to get to 4ghz but im sure next time when i have time ill try to get there.

i dont think his board can handle 8 gigs of ram clocked at 950mhz but ill give it a go.

Very nice. I had that same combo but with Gskills DDR-8500 RAM and my Q9550 clocked at 3.8GHz. That was as high as I wanted to take it. I wan running a Xigmatek s1283v dark knight cooler. Really impressed with that setup.

Doesn't your northbridge get real hot running at 471 bus speed? Might want to put a fan on that.
In any case, Megahalems is one of the best heatsinks I've ever installed.
Cinch to install, and great performance. I highly recommend it.

Doesn't your northbridge get real hot running at 471 bus speed? Might want to put a fan on that.
In any case, Megahalems is one of the best heatsinks I've ever installed.
Cinch to install, and great performance. I highly recommend it.

Yeh thats my issue, My chip will do it easily but my northbridge goes to 87 c and she goes unstable if I try for 4ghz. She will run all day at 3.4 I guess it cause I am pushing my pc6400 to high?

Jacuzz1 P45 chipset is great for running Q9550 E0. NB temps don't get nearly as hot as X38 chipset.
The big wow factor for me of this build is his CPU.
Very rare that any Q9550 will run 4GHZ stable under 1.3v. That low voltage
is a key factor in keeping his temps low.

I hit 3.4 at 1.16v , this chip is magic but i cannot remain stable cause of the NB hitting over 80c if I try to go over 3.6 (1.18v) .

I drop down to 3.2 and the NB goes to 63C What gives? Maybe I need to tear up the NB and use some AS5 . I have the NB voltage set to auto. I have no idea what setting to put it at manual. Anyone have any ideas regarding manual settting? Maybe auto is overvolting the NB?

CPU cores are only in the low 30's

My apologies to th e OP I will start another thread on this issue. Congrates on your OC!

I have a 92 mm fan on the door (120 mm won't fit) blowing in on the silent video card and the northbridge.

It doesn't feel hot to the touch -

I hit 3.4 at 1.16v , this chip is magic but i cannot remain stable cause of the NB hitting over 80c if I try to go over 3.6 (1.18v) .

I drop down to 3.2 and the NB goes to 63C What gives? NB?
OC!

I really think it is your MB. Your Q9550 sounds golden.

Probably even more effective if I tape up the gaps on the top of the HSF - (outlined in red) -

Last edited:
Status update-

After one week my rig is as stable as can be, with a general operating temp of 35C for all 4 cores.

No cold boot issues or any other surprises.

IMO what I have here is a really great combination of components that work perfectly together. If I was to change anything I would use a faster Gskill ram so that I could easily increase the overclock.

Nice job with a very similar rig to mine! I got mine stable just one notch below yours.

This UD3P is a beast of a motherboard, the NB runs so cool and doesn't ask for any additional voltage for the work its doing. How far does that Mega overhang past the edge of the board? I've been using a freezer 7 for the past year os so because my old mobo had the cpu socket so close to the edge a 120mm cooler wouldn't fit in the case.

Back