2.0 system for $200ish

Edgar

2[H]4U
Looking for a 2.0 system for around $200 that later on I would have the option to upgrade with like a sub and a receiver or something to that extent. I will be mainly gaming and listening to music. I have logitech x540 so I'm looking for a much better quality setup. Thx!

How much would unpowered speakers and a receiver run me at a minimum? I don't plan on upgrading for a while so I want to do this right.

I would go craiglist and go passive speakers reciever combo, FWIW.

For example over here in NYC someone was selling their KEF iQ1 for $150 dollars and a used reciever can be found for around 50 no problem. My guess is that combo would own alot of monitors..

Even new its not so clear. I like the mix and match ability and the piecemeal upgrades allowed by seperates and I think you often can get better sound for the dollar. I am not at all convinced say an A5 at $325 is really better then a C-100 (150) + Dayton APA 150 (158).

200 is enough to go passive/reciever if you buy used though.

Pete

Last edited:
What if I were to go brand new? How much would that run me? I know jack shit about desktop monitors other then logitech which I know is hated in this forum. So I am really depending on you guys to make the right choice for me.

do you have any size restrictions?
i know some people that are specifically looking for 2.0 have size restrictions for the speaker/monitor
like me - swan m200mkii are always recommended for 2.0
but they were just way too big for my desk space
so i ended up going with audioengine a2

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_9_15&products_id=169 ($100) Denon reciever
and

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC50 PBLK (85) speakers

Also

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105281 (Sony Stereo reciever)

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290094 (Polk Monitor 30s)

Actually tons of speakers you could buy like the Insignia from best buy as well..

If you want powered monitors..

If you want tiny..

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-P...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255758769&sr=8-1 199.99.
Or bigger

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5/ $179.99

Those are some ideas. I'd research to see what some people same about em exactly. I have heard the A2's are overrated.

Also maudio av-40s are like 150 bucks..

If you do order from Dakmart - i'd call them to make sure they have the item in stock. I have heard that they tend to imagine they have said item. But their prices are pretty unbelievable. And IMHO you want a speaker that big enough to get down into the 60 - 70 hz (at the same volume) or so - that way if you add a sub later the sound will not be directional.

Pete

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
GuyClinch I really do appreciate all the help you've been giving me. I just wanted to add....say my budget was $300. What speaker and receiver combo would you pick out for me(with the 60-70 hz u mentioned thing) that later on I could add a sub if I wanted too. I'm thinking I wanna go passive with a receiver cuz I feel that is what the majority of people that know audio would go with that right?

edit: I do like the size of those ENC50's would there be anything around that size?

Last edited:
Check out Tweak City Audio's package deal. It will make a great budget system for about $300.

You get a pair of WAF-1 speakers designed by Danny Richie (he's good) and a Gizmo to power them.

Free shipping and a 30 day trial. It's worth trying at least. If you don't like them, don't keep them and it wont cost you anything.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=24&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171667

Whoa. My post got eaten.

Long story short - assuming you want to go reciever/passive speakers for $300 I like a Denon/Energy combo.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4523656&CatId=4586

That's kinda a space is no object combo. You might want to pick the smaller size energy speakers.

A reciever has alot of advantages (you don't need a soundcard and has party cranking power - and you can easily add a sub and more channels). But of course its alot bigger then a gizmo or even a Dayton 150 power amp.

BTW For wires I like monoprice. Don't blow your budget on cables. They are like 10x cheaper then stores. That sounds like a crazy exaggeration but its not!
Vann's has a name your price system too BTW..(Not that 6ave is bad). Also J&R will give you better prices if you call them as well.

Pete

That receiver is refurbished. Do u think it's safe to buy a refurb receiver?

^^^Yes. Refurbs IMHO are often considered safer then new. If its factory refurb they likely rip out the entire board and plop in a new one - and then test it extensively. And Tiger Direct is an authorized Refurb dealer as is Dakmart. I think those will sell out soon enough actually.

Pete

KK pulled the trigger on what you recommended GuyClinch. What kind wires will i need? Again ill reiterate, i know jack shit about receivers and passive speakers. Thx again for your help!

edit: Whats J&R?

KK pulled the trigger on what you recommended GuyClinch. What kind wires will i need? Again ill reiterate, i know jack shit about receivers and passive speakers. Thx again for your help!

edit: Whats J&R?

Electronics website. Link Here, they normally have really good prices on stuff. I got a great price on a GPS I wanted. It normally retailed for 300 and I got it with shipping for 149 from them.

You ended up going with a reciever and then passive speakers correct? If so all you need for the speakers is some decent speaker wire (it carries both the sound signal and the power). I would go with 14 gauge wire from Monoprice.com, but if price is a concern as long as you purchase something in the range of 16 gauge to 12 gauge you will be fine. The lower the gauge number the bigger the wire and normally that translates to better sound. Also please don't purchase anything from Monster. Get all your stuff from monoprice and save yourself a bundle :). If you have more specific questions on speaker wire let me know, but honestly if you get 14 gauge you will be more than ok, and with the prices at monoprice there really isn't a reason not to.

To connect your computer to the receiver I would suggest using an optical cable (provided your receiver will take them). Without knowing more about what motherboard/soundcard you have and what receiver you went with I cant really give you much more advice on that front, besides telling you to purchase it from Monoprice :).

Last edited:
Yeah I recommend Monoprice as well. I actually would have ordered the cable first so you don't have to sit around and wait for the cables after you get your stuff. :p

What sound card do you have? Or does your onboard have digital out (almost all do now - so do not worry)..Even if your computer doesn't have digital out (that's unlikely) you can get a sound card for like 20 dollars with it.

Likely all your going to need is something to go to your reciever (digital out) - and some speaker wire. Its likely you might have one of these around (I have literally dozens because I had a home theatre hookup before the HDMI days..)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2681&seq=1&format=2

For your digital hookup - but you might have optical out - and then you would need an optical cable..

Like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

For your speakers..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2747&seq=1&format=2

That's some speaker wire - you can go thinner (higher AWG is thinner - weird I know).. That wire might be a bit inflexible But the 50ft 14awg is out of stock.

Most people like to add these to their speaker cable - banana plugs. I would do it..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

So probably 4 pairs of those..Read the installation instructions on how to put them on..(which is on that page). Also try to carefully figure what you need because S+H could be a large percentage of your order cost wise :p Think about the lengths too.

Either way resist temptation to run out to Radio shack and get the missing cables. That place is very expensive compared to monoprice. Its the same with Bestbuy..

Pete

You should be very happy with a receiver & passive speakers. That's a sweet deal on the Denon receiver !

Banana plugs are awesome. Monoprice cables rock.
The only thing left for your setup now is a sub. $200 will fetch a good sub. BIC-100 is a good one to start you off.

This is the motherboard I'll be getting. What connection does it have? Do I really need a sound card? I don't have a soldering kit, is that the only way to install those banana plugs? Thx again guys!

This is the motherboard I'll be getting. What connection does it have? Do I really need a sound card? I don't have a soldering kit, is that the only way to install those banana plugs? Thx again guys!

Most banana plugs unscrew and you just pull the wire through bend it around the connector and then screw the top back on. Link and Link. Also you have no link to your motherboard :)

You have two options (possibly)

Option 1 (depends upon your video card)
Run a HDMI cable from your video card (assuming it can carry audio over HDMI) to the reciever

Option 2 (will work regardless)
Run a optical TOSlink cable (from monoprice :)) from your motherboard to the reciever.

If you list your video card we can tell you if you can even go with option 1.

They have directions for those close bananna plugs I linked on the web page where you buy em..

http://www.monoprice.com/manual/INSTALLING SOLDER TYPE BANANA PLUGS.pdf

Its a cleaner look then the open ones, IMHO.

As for your motherboard there is a coaxial or optical out on that - so either way you are set. They might have given you a optical cable or one might come with your reciever - or you might have an old Coaxial cable lying around..

Pete

I'll be getting a xfx 5850 or 5870 not sure yet, but they both have hdmi. Would hdmi be better then optical? Would it not hinder the performance of the video card because its coming from the video card and not the motherboard? Would it be the videocard decoding the audio or just carrying the signal?

I'll be getting a xfx 5850 or 5870 not sure yet, but they both have hdmi. Would hdmi be better then optical? Would it not hinder the performance of the video card because its coming from the video card and not the motherboard? Would it be the videocard decoding the audio or just carrying the signal?

HDMI can carry the blu ray formats whereas optical can only carry 5.1 Dolby, so it is obviously the better way to go, plus its only one cable rather than two.

Looks like i need to buy more hdmi cables. God I love this forum. Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it!

Looks like i need to buy more hdmi cables. God I love this forum. Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it!

Make sure you dont spend too much on them..just like all the other cables we recommended. You can buy a 1 dollar HDMI cable that will perform as well as a 100 dollar cable. I personally have all my equipment (1000 dollars plus) hooked up with 3 to 6 dollar HDMI cables and monoprice speaker wire. Also I do believe the video card will pass the audio out without messing with it. Anandtech did a review on this.

Keep in mind you still will need to pass the video from the receiver to the monitor. I hope your monitor has a HDMI connection lol...I am sure there are probably ways around that but my mind is too tired to think of them currently...perhaps someone else who is more alert tonight will chime in

Last edited:
Is the 5850 the same way where it won't mess with the audio like the 5870. I saw there review for the 5850 but it didn't mention it.

Also my main monitor does have hdmi. Its a tv turned to pc(toshiba 32rv525r). The others are dvi so i shouldnt have a problem because they dont have speakers only the toshiba does. Monoprice it is for all my wiring needs. Thanks again!

Is the 5850 the same way where it won't mess with the audio like the 5870. I saw there review for the 5850 but it didn't mention it.

Also my main monitor does have hdmi. Its a tv turned to pc(toshiba 32rv525r). The others are dvi so i shouldnt have a problem because they dont have speakers only the toshiba does. Monoprice it is for all my wiring needs. Thanks again!

See the link I posted. It takes you directly to where they discuss how audio is handled for the full ATI 5xxx series. Should make for a quick read and that way you know for sure what your getting :). Also good your monitor does HDMI. You should be set after this.

Now if only I had the cash to get my system upgraded speaker wise :). Unlike you I am going with a set of active monitors (I have a HT connected to this pc elsewhere in the same room) from KRK. Your setup will cost much less than mine lol...I am looking at around 700 dollars for my setup.

This does depend on which reciever you got. Some of the older less expensive receivers from Denon don't support alot of the HDMI audio features. As you only have two speakers your not going to really need it either.

Last edited:
This does depend on which reciever you got. Some of the older less expensive receivers from Denon don't support alot of the HDMI audio features. As you only have two speakers your not going to really need it either.

Crap...just noticed that I this reciever does not support audio over HDMI. See Page 10 of the owners manual. You will need two seperate cables :(. One for video and one for audio. I recommend getting a Optical TOSLink cable for the audio. Sorry I didnt catch that earlier.

Last edited:
Boooooooooo. Are there any receivers in that price range that will do hdmi audio or is there going to be a huge price difference?

Boooooooooo. Are there any receivers in that price range that will do hdmi audio or is there going to be a huge price difference?

Honestly the receiver that will do HDMI audio will blow your budget significantly. I listed a few below and those are last years models and about as cheap as I have seen so far.

The Onkyo 606 299.99 factory refurb from Accessories4less (authorized dealer as well)
Marantz Sr4002 299.99 (same site)
Marantz SR5002 299.99

To be honest since your only planning on doing stereo the cost difference against the gained features isnt really worth it. The only time it is really worth it is if you plan on hooking up a blu-ray player to it and taking your 2.0 system to 7.1 at a later date. Otherwise the reciever listed earlier is a sound buy you will just need to run both a HDMI cable from your video card and a Optical cable from your motherboard to the reciever.

Last edited:
Yup. That receiver I linked is a great buy - but it doesn't have all the bells in whistles. Back when they first came out I had to drop like a 900 to get the 3808ci - because i wanted all the features. Some of them like internet radio are suprisingly cool.

Pete

Yea audio thru hdmi is a must because i will be using this receiver later for a home theater. So I guess I'll have to find a way to fit this into my budget. Is the onkyo the better of those 3? I know onkyo is a reputable brand when it comes to home audio.

^^^ Onkyo is fine. Denon is known for good quality amplification for the buck - but they can be a little light on the electronics for the dollar. That being said you certainly do not need HDMI sound for home theatre. Optical will do 5.1 DTS and DD. The HDMI audio just adds surround formats of higher "quality." DTS-HD etc. But many people question if the differences are actually audible for humans..(Think high bit rate MP3s vs. CD).

OTOH with a more expensive receiver you get a better amplifer section. That's often worth the money, IMHO. Those differences are absolutely notable if you listen to your movies at reference levels.. As a weaker amplifer will clip..I would peruse AVS forum if I was you. I did hear something about the one of the Onkyo's overheating back when I was getting my Denon. But I don't remember which model it was.

Pete

Last edited:
^^^ Onkyo is fine. Denon is known for good quality amplification for the buck - but they can be a little light on the electronics for the dollar. That being said you certainly do not need HDMI sound for home theatre. Optical will do 5.1 DTS and DD. The HDMI audio just adds surround formats of higher "quality." DTS-HD etc. But many people question if the differences are actually audible for humans..(Think high bit rate MP3s vs. CD).

OTOH with a more expensive receiver you get a better amplifer section. That's often worth the money, IMHO. Those differences are absolutely notable if you listen to your movies at reference levels.. As a weaker amplifer will clip..I would peruse AVS forum if I was you. I did hear something about the one of the Onkyo's overheating back when I was getting my Denon. But I don't remember which model it was.

Pete

The Onkyo 606 according to many, runs hot and needs some space above it to keep it cool. That said I have never seen nor felt that with any of the demo models I have looked at. I would say if you have an inch or so above it you should be good. That and some companies have built little cooling rack type deals like this. I have also seen mod's where they actually install 120mm fans via zip ties to the top to help keep it cool (but I like the Antec thing much better aesthetically)

I know the Onkyo is good, Marantz is also a really really good brand but its hard to find them in store to listen to, they are more of a high end boutique brand. If you want my opinion I would probably go with the Marantz after doing research on AVSFORUM. It normally has a better/higher rated powersupply and better amp section. Without doing tons of reasearch on them again (I was looking at Marantz earlier this year) I dont know much more. There are some receivers (the Onkyo 606 for instance) that are picky when you use HDMI from a computer and its worth researching further. With that said Optical works on all of them regardless :).

Some quick suggestions though:

1. Make sure it decodes Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio (MA) and Linear PCM (Linear Pulse-Code Modulation). These are the newest blu ray formats. If it doesnt thats ok, just know if you hook up a blu-ray player you wont be getting "lossless" audio (dont know how big a deal that is to you)

2. Look at the powersupply, more power equals better performance at high levels

3. Make sure you have all the connections you need now plus at least one. The Onkyo has 4 in the Marantz 3.
Yes you could get a switch, but its just one more component to stack somewhere, best to try and plan ahead now​

4. If you can go look at them do so, pick them up and note how heavy they are, the heavier they are normally the better the amp/powersupply is which means again better performance

anyone else feel free to chime in and correct me if I am wrong on any of these :)

Last edited:
Alright well then what receiver should I get then? $300 is the absolute highest I will go on just the receiver(not including shipping).

Alright well then what receiver should I get then? $300 is the absolute highest I will go on just the receiver.

Honestly I would post this at AVSFORUM as well. They have a whole forum dedicated to both HTPC's (which this kinda falls into) and recievers. They also have massive threads on most of the recievers I listed (if you wanted to research yourself).

Also listed some threads I highly recommend you read from AVSFORUM

An Explanation of the Future-Proof Receiver

I would look for the following manufactures (and get last years model's providing they decode the formats I mentioned in an earlier post): Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha (in that order)

I dont want to recommend specific models as we dont really know your needs as well as you do (plus AVSFORUM honestly has all the info you could ever want on any of them)

Example:
What components do you have to connect (PS3, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, blu-ray, DVD player, ect)

What type of connections do they have out (component, s-video, rca, HDMI)​
If you can give us a better idea we can give you some better suggestions

Back