Eyefinity 3x24" vs. Dell 3007wfp-hc

Pretzel

Limp Gawd
Here's my new eyefinity setup with 3 x Dell U2410's. I've made some comparison shots between my Dell 3007wfp-hc, eyefinity landscaped, and eyefinity portrait. I did test it out with the 3007 in the middle and it looked horrible to me. I like the portrait setup as the landscape setup stretches everything out too much. I did notice my games took a good 40% reduction in FPS. Which makes since considering the card is pushing about 40% more resolution.

***Update: fixed stretch in Operation Flashpoint by selecting "auto" aspect ration. fixed stretch in COD:WAW with program: Link Updated photos below***

Youtube of Eyefinity Operation Flashpoint

COD:WAW
img3809h.jpg

img3837u.jpg

img3831k.jpg

Operation Flashpoint

img3810f.jpg

img3836xe.jpg

img3830h.jpg

Can't stop that signal

img3818u.jpg

img3829s.jpg

img3832l.jpg

img3840g.jpg

img3841h.jpg

img3842k.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes, landscape with those monitors and that game looks so.. flattened.

IMO it looks better in portrait mode. Landscaped looks stretched.

Look at the scope in Operation Flashpoint. Single and portrait, it's round as it should be.
Landscape turns it into a oval.

very cool. I have 3 Dell2408WFP's, I should try them out in Portrait mode. It makes the games look normal, while the triple widescreen looks freaked out and way too stretched.

So your new resolution is now 3600x1920 as opposed to 5760x1200res ? Are the frame rates the exact same with triple screens in Portrait vs Landscape ? I would think it should be no different, the pixel count would be exactly the same ?

Do you play WoW ? Would love to see that in Portrait mode, or any MMORPG, maybe Aion or WarHammer Online if you have any of those, please post pics.

i take the 30"any day :D

No. I just sold my sweet Apple 30" Display, and have 3 Dell2408WFP's, and Eyefinity gaming with the 3 - 24" is 100 times cooler and more immersion than my single 30" ever was

Just rotate yours to portrait. Just looking at Pretzel pics, it seem obvious which is displaying the game more accurate.

No. I just sold my sweet Apple 30" Display, and have 3 Dell2408WFP's, and Eyefinity gaming with the 3 - 24" is 100 times cooler and more immersion than my single 30" ever was

How could you, i just can't stand the screen edges. I don't mean is not nice but just very hard for me to adjust to :(.

IMO it looks better in portrait mode. Landscaped looks stretched.

Look at the scope in Operation Flashpoint. Single and portrait, it's round as it should be.
Landscape turns it into a oval.

Keep in mind that NONE of these games have been tweaked to handle this. This is no brainer going forward. Trust me you are going to see Eyefintity mode supported in a hell of a lot more games than DX10 and DX11 for a long while.

How could you, i just can't stand the screen edges. I don't mean is not nice but just very hard for me to adjust to :(.

You say it is hard for you to adjust but the fact is that you never have done any adjusting before. If you are in Dallas, we are looking to do a one day Eyefinity Challenge event soon.

I always thought the best use of Eyefinity would have been the odd configurations of different monitor sizes in mixed wide and portrait modes. If you put three monitors in portrait mode next to eachother, you're basically just emulating a larger widescreen monitor. Which begs the question why wouldn't you just get a 1080p tv that's bigger than three portrait monitors, far cheaper, and no bezels in the way. I guess this is interesting as a test case, but the practicality of it seems questionable when cheaper and superior solutions already exist.

Now if we start seeing games that let you customize smaller monitors as racing rear-view mirrors, or info readouts in sims and strategy games, count me in! Hell, even an FPS could benefit if you could buy some little 10 inch screen and move all the HUD info over onto it.

I think the rule of thumb I am seeing now is that 3x1 landscape gets you an extra "screen" with half being on each end of your vision of actual real estate you could not see before. In 3x1 portrait, you are getting maybe 1/3 extra real estate.

BUT, here is the kicker. Even though I am losing that real estate advantage in portrait, I am finding 3x1 portrait to be tremendously more consuming in terms of immersion BY A LONG SHOT. Dude, it will suck you in and not let you go. A quality I can say most of us are looking for in a GF too.

Agreed. Hat's off to Pretzel for showing a single monitor with the 3-1 setups. You can see how much more to the game's world, Eyefinity adds.

I agree. I think the PLP setup is the best so you don't get that stretched distorted aspect ratio and you gain the wider FOV over the PPP setup and your eyes are still able to see all 3 monitors comfortably in your natural FOV. Also the bezels would be farther apart from your single display in landscape mode. ATI needs to do 3 things with Eyefinity:

1. PLP
2. Bezel management
3. Xfire

Another benefit to portrait mode is a smaller desk can be used.

Agreed. Hat's off to Pretzel for showing a single monitor with the 3-1 setups. You can see how much more to the game's world, Eyefinity adds.

I thought we did a really good job of that in this Eyefinity video review if you want to check it out from a few weeks ago. Kudos to Pretzel as well, the more that learn need to pass on the message. :)

Just gave this thread some news page love at well Pretzel!! Thanks for supporting the community.

Last edited:
I agree. I think the PLP setup is the best so you don't get that stretched distorted aspect ratio and you gain the wider FOV over the PPP setup and your eyes are still able to see all 3 monitors comfortably in your natural FOV. Also the bezels would be farther apart from your single display in landscape mode. ATI needs to do 3 things with Eyefinity:

1. PLP
2. Bezel management
3. Xfire

1. Current not going to happen.
2. Happening now.
3. Happening now.

No ETAs yet, but these two things along with a certified DP to DVI dongle are very much priority with AMD.

very cool. I have 3 Dell2408WFP's, I should try them out in Portrait mode. It makes the games look normal, while the triple widescreen looks freaked out and way too stretched.

So your new resolution is now 3600x1920 as opposed to 5760x1200res ? Are the frame rates the exact same with triple screens in Portrait vs Landscape ? I would think it should be no different, the pixel count would be exactly the same ?

Do you play WoW ? Would love to see that in Portrait mode, or any MMORPG, maybe Aion or WarHammer Online if you have any of those, please post pics.

More camera shots here of 30" in use.
http://hardocp.com/news/2009/10/20/eyefinity_3_dual_link_dvi_displays_working

and More here of my personal Eyefinity station.
http://hardocp.com/news/2009/10/13/eyefinity_update

I watched it and was impressed but thought you had just turned off the side monitors while still in Eyefinity mode. My bad. :eek:

Look at Operation Flashpoint. Pay atttention to the trees on either side. it looks as if the same amount of trees are showing in both Landscape and Portrait modes.

COD:WAW makes it look as if more is showing in Landscape, but his character has moved forward in the Portrait shots.

So from his pics, it looks at if the same amount of game world is shown in either.
I'm not saying Landscape wouldn't make you feel more into the game, but it doesn't seem to show more of what's around your character than offered in Portrait.
Both are great looking, but Portrait has me liking what I see more. :)

Thanks to the guys over at widescreen gaming I've fixed the FOV in landscape.

COD:WAW had to download a fix and run program in background Link

img3837u.jpg

Operation Flashpoint, had to change aspect ratio to "auto"

img3836xe.jpg

I agree that the portrait looks much better than the 3x1 landscape, but it looks like the FOV on portrait mode is even less than the single 30".

I've got to see one of these setups in person though. I don't think I've seen one negative comment from someone who has actually used it.

Thanks to OP for the side by side (no pun intended) comparisons.

OMG, think we posted at the same time. CoD:WaW landscape w/the the FOV fix is pure eye sex.

AND you got the HUD in the center screen to boot. Great job!

Holy mother of God :eek:

Portrait mode is hands down the king for Eyefinity, I like this mode a zillion times better than the stretched out widescreen with the fish eye lens look.

Now bring on that 6 display AMD 5800 series card, 5x1 in Portrait mode will rule them all :D

photo-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Those look great now. Since both you and Kyle have run it both in Landscape and Portrait modes, does one offer more of the world's view? Hard to tell unless both display almost the same exact area?

P.S. Zorachus, that first one looks great. Looks like you got excited and squirted something on the camera lens on the other shots... :D

I am still not sold on the idea of a triple display over a nice 37-42" single display.

Which would you rather run?
1920x1080 @ max AA + max AF + max everything else on a 37"
3600x1920 @ lower settings on 3x 24" displays ?

I liked gaming on a 37" HD display, and could never get used to the bezels in the way.

I see the value of the extra displays outside of gaming. It also makes sense in a driving/flying/mechwarrior game if the side displays were the side windows but what about for standard FPS? The games really need to support the extreme aspect ratio of the landscape mode, and perhaps do something else with the extra screen space (instead of just providing even more distorted peripheral vision) like the secondary map in supreme commander or like the customizable dash in flight simulators.

Will future driver revisions allow different size monitors to be used? For instance a 17" LCD / 24" wide / 17" LCD ? Or the resolutions not jiving will not make that happened?

which monitors have that adjustable placement base for actually standing up in portrait mode? Is there a recommended list of monitors for quality and features?

You can buy quality mounts separately. I find it hard to find a quality monitor that also happens to rotate/mount the way I like, AND also be priced well. The mounts can be used on future monitors when you upgrade as well.

I am still not sold on the idea of a triple display over a nice 37-42" single display .

Yeah, I guess that's my big gripe w/the portrait mode. It seems like if you're not going to go extra wide w/the landscape, i'd almost rather just take a big ass single display.

I used to have a single Apple 30" Display...it was a sweet monitor and gaming at 2560x1600res was pure bliss.

Well I can now say that 3 - Dell2408WFP's flipped in portrait mode giving me 3200x1920res blows that out of the fucking water :cool: This is a billion times cooler in my opinion, and is about 1/3rd wider and taller compared to my 30". The height of 1920 is a fucking trip, so awesome gaming with that much vertical.

To be honest Eyefinity in widescreen mode it just too wide, the games look stretched out, and in Windows desktop it is too much, you have to keep turning your head left and right. Portrait mode feels perfect.

Now Kyle, where is that 6-Finity VideoCard from AMD ? I can really see the 5x1 setup in Portrait mode of 6000x1920 being the ring to rule them all

photo5.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

It can only get better. LCD manufacturers should kick in some support for AMD/game devs,(smaller bezels we know are coming) as this has to be great for them. :)

You can see this happening through out the years with the TV's, the monitors sort of stopped making them smaller but it looks like dell and samsung are moving to make them smaller again. I really want to try this out with 3 HDTV's and have some kickass gaming moments from the couch!

It sort of sucks though, I have an older 40" plasma for initial 1080p support but its only 1024x1080, then i have a newer S1 panel 50", seeing at how cheap these S1's are now and how good the picture is I may try to sell the 40 and pick up two more down the road

I'm surprised we haven't seen mods where people have removed the bezel from their monitors yet.Maybe I should start working on this...

Some more 3200x1920res WoW. When flying around you feel like you could fall of and drop inside the game. That 1920 vertical height is pretty amazing up close to game in :) Portrait mode is way better for WoW...in Landscape, the 5760res wide was way too much in a bad way, the game looked freaked out on the two side displays very stretched and distorted, but in Portrait mode that distortion almost seems gone. I am just dreaming about that 6-Finity card coming from AMD, imaine a 5x1 setup all in Portrait mode, so 5 - 24" would give a 6000x1920res Oh My God :)

photo6.jpg

Back