Are studio monitors right for me?

skwhig

n00b
My PC speakers are dieing so I'm looking for $200-$300 replacements. I want 2 self-powered speakers that sound good without a separate sub. I'll use them for listening to punk rock music for like 10 hours a day while I work at my desk, no games.

Many of the self powered speakers in this range call themselves "studio monitors". I've been led to believe that studio monitors have a specific purpose and that the average consumer shouldn't consider them, is this correct? Do I really have to get a receiver and bookshelf speakers to get better music quality than PC speakers?

If you want self powered speakers then studio monitors are what you want. Active monitors might be a better term. While they are generally marketed to studios, there is nothing wrong with using them at home.

If you want something better than computer speakers, they are one of two options. The other being a receiver and separate speakers. A receiver and speakers is a more flexible option, you have an easier time upgrading and it is almost certainly the way to go if you want 5.1, and probably even 2.1. You also get more features, the receiver can do things like room equalization, bass redirection, dynamic range compression and so on if you purchase one with the appropriate capabilities, as well support input form multiple devices. You also can go higher end, if you wish. While active monitors go pretty high, home theater speakers go much higher.

However it is a more complex setup, and generally more expensive. For 2.0 it doesn't offer any advantage at lower price points unless the plan is to upgrade later. Active monitors are (at least some of them) good value for the money and are nice and simple. The whole thing is in a single package. They also save space because of that.

So, it is a perfectly valid way to go. For what you are talking about, they are the right answer. If you don't want a sub, then PC speakers are out, because only the really cheap ones seem to not have a sub. In that price range a receiver just isn't worth it (I recommend spending at least that much on the receiver itself) thus active monitors are what you want.

Bring an iPod or some music playback device with your music on it to a local Guitar Center or Music store that stocks and displays studio monitors and try them out.
I am currently using a pair of Alesis M1 Active MK2 studio monitors on my main rig and love them.

I add in my recommendation for a set of KRK Rokit 6 Gen 2. They are what I am planning on purchasing. Also available from Guitar Center. They do also have the Rokit 5's which are cheaper, the difference being a 5" woofer rather than 6" and less power per speaker (but they still sound friggin awesome :))

Here is the list of speakers I looked at:

1. M-Audio AV40's ~140 in store for the pair

2. KRK Rokit Powered 6 Generation 2 199.99 per speaker at Guitar Center

3. Audioengine 5

4. M-Audio Studiophile BX5a ~300 for the set

Also I posted some links to the threads I started with this same question: AVSFORUM1, AVSFORUM2, [H]ardForum, ComputerAudiophile.com

No monitors will work great. Another option would be some kind of mini amp and bookshelves though.

Thanks, I've got my eye on the Audioengine 2 and 5. Is there anything I can look for if I want good performance at low volumes?

I'm also thinking of getting monitors and some others that keep getting mentioned are Behringer MS40, Swan D1080MKII and M200MKII, Edirol MA-15D.

I haven't listened to any yet but based purely on what I've read my top choice is the MS40 since it has a digital connection, more bass than AV40 and is cheaper. I decided not to go the receiver+passive route as I already did that for my HT and I know its a money pit :D

Behringer is a cheap rip off of better brands such as Mackie but you are getting what you are paying for.

I got a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxes and am very happy with them but they do need a sub. Am I going to have to pay $400 bucks to get a decent sounding active sub?

I got a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxes and am very happy with them but they do need a sub. Am I going to have to pay $400 bucks to get a decent sounding active sub?

The short answer: no.

Just so there isn't any confusion in terms...The "Studio Monitor" used to be the term for speakers used on stage for listening to the final product of a recording, also useable at home.

Unfortunately the term has become generic and is used to one degree or another by almost every speaker company regardless of quality. The term is also often confused with "Near Field" monitors which have an entirely different use.

The folks who work at the mixing board need a speaker that covers a wide range but doesn't necessarily require true audio accuracy, they allow for small adjustments during mixing and tend to be harsh for normal music listening. JBL and Yamaha were both standards for "Near Field" monitors for years, now many people are in the business.

http://www.audiomasterclass.com/arc.cfm?a=nearfield-monitors

An explanation of the reasoning behind near-field monitors, and their application.
The most fascinating use of loudspeakers is the near field monitor.
Near field monitors are now almost universally used in the recording studio for general monitoring purposes and for mixing.
This would seem odd because twenty-five years ago anyone in the recording industry would have said that studio monitors have to be as good as possible so that the engineer can hear the mix better than anyone else ever will. That way, all the detail in the sound can be assessed properly and any faults or deficiencies picked up.
Mixes were also assessed on tiny Auratone loudspeakers just to make sure they would sound good on cheap domestic systems, radios or portables.
That was until the arrival of the Yamaha NS10 - a small domestic loudspeaker with a dreadful sound. It must have found its way into the studio as cheap domestic reference. A slightly upmarket Auratone if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MUPHLK

Behringer makes some nice "Near Field" monitors, powered and un-powered.

"Studio Monitors", again, are typically used to listen to the finished product. Again, be careful, it's a much over used and mis-used term.

Luck

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got sum $500 (australian so prolly worth 300 US -note.. not because of exchange rate but because tech is way cheaper in US) and they sound way meaner than my Z5500 logitechs.. though if I wanna full my room with loud sound (although not as much quality) the 5500's see less strain..

The point is.. studio monitors.. even cheap ones sound alot crisper than computer speakers.. bearing that in mind though.. good studio monitors make cheap studio monitors sound like a waste of money!! In your situation I would just find some cheap ass monitor speakers then get the next model up.. then if you want extra bass, get a sub and make it 2.1 :) Kind of low mid-range and that should be a good cheap safe bet/upgrade..

Hope this helps...

:Luca

swan speakers are really nice and wont break the bank. do a search and find reviews. im surprised no one mentioned them before.

theaudioinsider.com

great people to deal with and theres a sale on the mark3's and 2s.

yup heard a lot of good things about the swans.. i think they may be your best bet

Back