RAM Problems? Cooling too Tight?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am having some issues with a P55 motherboard this morning that I want to reach out to our community about and see if you guys have any ideas what is afoot here.

The problem is this. I have installed 4GB of RAM (2x2GB), but the OS only sees "1.99 GB Usable." I have used both Core i5 and Core i7 processors in this ASUS Maximus III Gene motherboard as well as confirmed this issue with Corsair, Patriot, and OCZ memory modules. The problem however is not static. It has "gone away" once when changing out the processor, but then returned when switching out RAM modules. The original thought was that the DIMMs were not seating well, but I have gone as far to put a 5lbs. weight on top of the DIMMs. I am using an v7600 Windows 7 64-bit OS. I have tried turning off Superfetch services as well as disabling remapping the memory in the BIOS.

Image is HERE.

As you can see in the screenshot above, 1.99 GB is marked as usable and the Task Manager verifies that total usable. Trying to force more will "lock up" an application. But do notice that CPUZ does see the full 4GB. When the system POSTs however, it only shows as having "2048MB" installed.

I have found one more instance of this on THG forums using a GIGABYTE P55-UD4 motherboard so it does not seem to be an ASUS-only issue. If you have any ideas, please sound off in this HardForum thread. Hopefully I am just overlooking something simple.

Edit: Our solution to the issue.

Sounds kind of crazy, but we have verified that testing here today. If you did not see our post earlier, we had an ASUS P55 system that was "losing" half of its installed RAM. After about 7 hours of testing here today, we finally have verified what the issue is. It seems that I was tightening the water block down too tight on the P55 chipset motherboard. Simply loosening the water block solved the issue and allowed all the RAM to be seen. I am also currently testing a P55 chipset board from DFI. I was able to replicate the issue on that motherboard as well.

I have to admit to NOT using the tensioning springs as shown below. Koolance water blocks specify that these mounting springs be used and I was ignoring that, obviously the springs are there for more than just one reason.

Last edited:
Screeny isnt working Dr. Bennet

The image is now linked. Just too quick for me. And my name is "Bennett" with two Ts. - Kyle :)

Is "Memory Remap Feature" enabled/disabled in the BIOS?

probably a shot in the dark, but only issue I ever had with memory reporting wrong, was typing "msconfig" in the run box, and going to the start up tab. I tried to force it to use XXXXmb of ram and all 4 cores, but after a reboot for some reason, it changed what I had set (6GB) to 3.92 or some retarted #, and the only way I could fix it was to set everything to auto.

sorry, meant to say the "boot" tab

hardforumissue.JPG

You may have already tried this, but have you updated the BIOS? It sounds like a BIOS issue, since you said it reports 2GB on post. Maybe Windows is just doing whatever the Bios tells it, even though phyiscally CPUZ is seeing all 4GB?

You may have already tried this, but have you updated the BIOS? It sounds like a BIOS issue, since you said it reports 2GB on post. Maybe Windows is just doing whatever the Bios tells it, even though phyiscally CPUZ is seeing all 4GB?

Yes. I am working with ASUS on this and I have reflashed to the latest BIOS on this board several different times.

I would guess that this is a board level issue, but just trying to cover my bases.

Which kind of socket do you have? Foxconn perhaps? Checked thoroughly for bent pins? Since the memory controller is on-chip and the problem persists over CPU changes I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was a contact issue of some sort.

I helped a friend put a computer together and the exact same thing happened (E5300 instead though). It would say that only 2 of the 4 GB was usable. After searching around we ended up just re-installing the OS(Windows 7-64) and that seemed to do the trick.

I have only ever seen Windows 7 do this, but a fresh install worked for us.

Did you see if your video card is allocating additional memory for itself? I know stuff like TurboCache (Which is usually only on lower-end video cards, I think) can limit system memory...

I helped a friend put a computer together and the exact same thing happened (E5300 instead though). It would say that only 2 of the 4 GB was usable. After searching around we ended up just re-installing the OS(Windows 7-64) and that seemed to do the trick.

I have only ever seen Windows 7 do this, but a fresh install worked for us.

I have done two full OS installs. Have gone as far as to write zeros across the entire disk before installing new as well.

Did you see if your video card is allocating additional memory for itself? I know stuff like TurboCache (Which is usually only on lower-end video cards, I think) can limit system memory...

No, I do not see that with a GTX 280.

Could some kind of physical damage cause this? It being intermittent (and lack of knowledge) makes me think something with the board itself is wrong that lets Windows see the memory, but deems it unusable.

yea, if its posting at 2048, then I would agree its a board issue. I Had bought a refurb asus p6t deluxe from newegg, and i put 3 2GB sticks in, but it would only post at 4GB. Through trial and error, I was able to identify the effected slot.

I would try the same. I assume there are 4 slots for ram on your board. I know right now you are aiming for dual channel mode, but try putting 2 ram sticks in the same channel, or swap the sticks to the other 2 slots. See if it then posts at 4GB instead of 2. May help identify if its a bad slot, and if you can pinpoint the slot, you can check it for debris, that may be obstructing contact to the chips or what not.

Which kind of socket do you have? Foxconn perhaps? Checked thoroughly for bent pins? Since the memory controller is on-chip and the problem persists over CPU changes I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was a contact issue of some sort.

This is what I was thinking as well.

What about using the other two RAM slots? does it do the same thing?

I had a DFI X58 board that had the same problem. I searched around and found that it was most likely caused by a faulty dimm slot and that it was a problem inherent with the chipset as others with different board manufacturers had experienced similar problems. I tested all of my sticks of RAM and was able to figure out which slot was not working properly. I RMA'd the board and the replacement has worked without any problems. My guess is that the P55 chipset may have similar issues.

I know you have already done it, but re-seat the RAM again and again and maybe even again. Check BIOS voltages for the RAM.

http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1455894

Have tried default and specing the voltage at 1.66v. As noted above, went at far as to place weights on the DIMMs.

Can we get the specs for the memory used?

OCZ - OCZ3P18002GK (2x1GB sticks showed .99 Usable)
Patriot - PVV34G2000LLK (2x2GB)
Corsair - TR3X6G2000C8GT (2x2GB)
Corsair - CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 (2x2GB)

Could some kind of physical damage cause this? It being intermittent (and lack of knowledge) makes me think something with the board itself is wrong that lets Windows see the memory, but deems it unusable.

Second board to confirm this on. Just got note from a tier 1 boutique system builder that they are seeing the same thing.

I had a DFI X58 board that had the same problem. I searched around and found that it was most likely caused by a faulty dimm slot and that it was a problem inherent with the chipset as others with different board manufacturers had experienced similar problems. I tested all of my sticks of RAM and was able to figure out which slot was not working properly. I RMA'd the board and the replacement has worked without any problems. My guess is that the P55 chipset may have similar issues.

A chipset having issues and a faulty DIMM slot are two different issues totally, but thanks for sharing.

What happens if you populate all DIMM slots with say 1GB sticks? Or all with 2GB sticks?

Have you tried a different processor? Since you're using Core i5/i7, this could be a CPU issue since the memory controller is integrated into the processor die.

yea, if its posting at 2048, then I would agree its a board issue. I Had bought a refurb asus p6t deluxe from newegg, and i put 3 2GB sticks in, but it would only post at 4GB. Through trial and error, I was able to identify the effected slot.

I would try the same. I assume there are 4 slots for ram on your board. I know right now you are aiming for dual channel mode, but try putting 2 ram sticks in the same channel, or swap the sticks to the other 2 slots. See if it then posts at 4GB instead of 2. May help identify if its a bad slot, and if you can pinpoint the slot, you can check it for debris, that may be obstructing contact to the chips or what not.

I will play with this some. Maybe I should not assume it is not as simple as a fault slot, or attachment (since two boards showed the same issue).

What happens if you populate all DIMM slots with say 1GB sticks? Or all with 2GB sticks?

Trying this now.

Have you tried a different processor? Since you're using Core i5/i7, this could be a CPU issue since the memory controller is integrated into the processor die.

As noted in the original post, have tried different CPUs.

I remember only seeing 2gb in the bios with my EVGA P55 FTW and 4x2gb corsair 1600. I am pretty sure windows still reported all 8gb. I will look into this more when I get back home.

I had the exact same problem using 8 GB of RAM (4 2GB chips) in a Gigabyte P55-UD3R. BIOS would see all 8 GB, but two slots were showing up as disabled, and in Windows I'd see the same thing you were seeing, 8 GB RAM Total, 4 GB RAM Usable.

Ended up being a bad RAM chip. I tested each pair of chips in different configurations and finally figured out one specific chip that was 'disabling' the pair of chips. RMA'd the chips and now everything works fine.

I'm wondering if the P55 chipset is just really picky with RAM and even a chip with a minor problem just doesn't work.

This might be out in left field, but could it be an issue with the CPU since the memory controller now resides on it? Might be worth trying another one.

Board will POST with 1 DIMM in slot 3, but will not POST with 1 DIMM in slot 1. With a single DIMM in slot 3 it does see the 2GB and see it as all usable.

With 4 DIMMs installed, 4x2GB, the POST shows 4GB and the OS shows 8GB installed and 3.99 GB usable.

I think there is certainly something wrong at the board level here. On the first board I had of this model, I could not get it to load RAM and torture test for more than 18 minutes and this problem would come and go with what is usable.

As noted before, have you tried Vista 64-bit yet? If so, what about a 32-bit version of Win 7 or Vista? Does it report 3 gigs or does it persist in the 1.99 gigs? Last, is ASUS sending another model of the board to reproduce these results? Ok, so not last, what about a different video card or power supply? Computers go wonky with the strangest combos.

Good luck Kyle.

Wow. Definitely board level then. It's amazing more people aren't running into this... or just aren't noticing...

I think you will find out its a Win7 issue that will be fixed shortly with a Tuesday patch or sooner.:).Unless someone here can figure out a work around in the mean time.

I think you will find out its a Win7 issue that will be fixed shortly with a Tuesday patch or sooner.:).Unless someone here can figure out a work around in the mean time.

It's only showing 2GB at POST sir... this has *nothing* to do with OS.

I was having similar issues with some Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz (3x2gb) on my ASUS GENE II board. The first boot only showed 4GB. After re-seating, it showed 6GB. Then, after another reboot, it went back to 4GB on POST and Windows. I was using default voltages and QPI. But, after bumping the voltage up to 1.66v, and QPI up to 1.35v, I was able to see all 6GB without issue. I ended up RMA'ing the RAM because it would fail when using the XMP. I now have Corsair Dominator GT, and it's working without issue.

Have you tried running the RAM at below spec?

It's only showing 2GB at POST sir... this has *nothing* to do with OS.

I agree that it likely has nothing to do with the OS, but I would suggest, say, booting into an Ubuntu live cd and checking whether or not it can use all the RAM. It would at least truly pin it down as a BIOS/hardware issue.

Memory mapping definitely needs to be enabled, though, as that allows the bios to map around reserved dead areas, thus allowing you to use all the ram installed. Not that I think that is the culprit, as then it would be like 3.2gb usable instead of 2gb.

Back