Post your Windows 7 Primary Hard Drive Scores.

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Why do they insist on calling it a hard disk still!?!?

Post General System and score.
For example:

Lenovo X61s, X25M 80GB - score 7.2

Same 5.9 on a WD 640. Lowest score of them all. Ram is highest at 7.8, CPU at 7.5 and both graphics are at 7.4.

Tark

OCZ Agility 60GB

Edit: Funny thing is, it's my highest score by FAR.

Last edited:
Yep...MS has pretty much determined that platter drives are worthless and scored as such :(

5.3 Because of WD 80gig
Others 7.1 and 7.5
Q6600
AMD 4870
So....What hard drive will give it a high score? Besides an SSD?

See sig

windows7score.png

5.3 Because of WD 80gig
Others 7.1 and 7.5
Q6600
AMD 4870
So....What hard drive will give it a high score? Besides an SSD?

The only way a mechanical drive will score higher than 5.9 is if you use RAID. MS made seek times and random write/read a big portion of the test. And, I've only seen mechanical RAIDs score 6.1 or 6.2.

This link is to the MS developer blog, and it details how WEI is scored. http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/19/engineering-the-windows-7-windows-experience-index.aspx
Here's another one to a post dedicated to SSDs, and at the bottom, they tell you why SSDs score so much higher. http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Last edited:
The only way a mechanical drive will score higher than 5.9 is if you use RAID. MS made seek times and random write/read a big portion of the test. And, I've only seen mechanical RAIDs score 6.1 or 6.2.

Althought it was earlier this year (with Windows 7 Beta 1), I had 2 x 80GB VelociRaptors (courtesy of FLECOM here) and was scoring 6.8, but of course they worked on the WEI stuff later on and so now I have no idea what they'd score. I'm sure it's better than 6.2 even now, but...

Althought it was earlier this year (with Windows 7 Beta 1), I had 2 x 80GB VelociRaptors (courtesy of FLECOM here) and was scoring 6.8, but of course they worked on the WEI stuff later on and so now I have no idea what they'd score. I'm sure it's better than 6.2 even now, but...

I didn't say that mechanical drives couldn't get past 6.2, but that I've never seen any higher. But, as you said, you tested on the beta, and Microsoft has done some tweaking to their scoring system since then, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that exact setup score a bit lower. In fact, I just built installed Windows 7 on a co-worker's computer, and he has two of the new Raptors, and when the WEI ran, it scored 6.1. But, WEI doesn't really matter all that much, as even though they scored low, they were still plenty fast. Not SSD fast of course, but more than enough for 90% of Windows owners.

WOW, lots of people raiding the x25M's I may pickup a setup like that for my PC myself. Those are some great scores. My laptop is only a 3.7 base score because of using Intel's on-board video, which sounds painful, but for a buisness laptop with 12" screen running 1024x768 it's PLENTY fast, especially with the new drive. It feels much faster than my PC, even though it is in fact not remotely as powerful.

7.7 for my single X25-M G2. I'm not running the latest firmware though.

It would have been interesting to see how my old 15k scsi drives would have scored, but windows 7 discontinued support for my SCSI controller :(

Keep in mind that the score is ONLY for the boot drive, so I wouldn't exactly say that microsoft is trying to say mechanical storage is dead. Perhaps they need to have another category in the test that deals with storage capacity?

Last edited:
7.8 Intel X25-M G2 160GB with latest firmware
wonder why I can't get 7.9

7.7 for my single X25-M G2. I'm not running the latest firmware though.

It would have been interesting to see how my old 15k scsi drives would have scored, but windows 7 discontinued support for my SCSI controller :(

Keep in mind that the score is ONLY for the boot drive, so I would exactly say that microsoft is trying to say mechanical storage is dead. Perhaps they need to have another category in the test that deals with storage capacity?

Storage is always relative to what your using it for. This is a performance benchmark only, so I don't think you should get points or lose points for having more storage.

Not on it right now, but as I recall... 7.9 (sig)
its 7.7, actually.

Last edited:
Back