5870 bugs (big cursor, UVD crash,...) solved

faugusztin

2[H]4U
Hi,

just note to everyone experiencing the common bugs :
1) the big cursor - http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17819
2) driver crashes when playing Full HD videos
3) some others

I solved these problems, and funny enough, the problem was not in graphics card or Catalyst drivers. It's in the motherboard ! I had one of the first one Gigabyte P55-UD5 boards (delivered at i5 NDA lift day), with F3 bios. All the damn problems were present, and driven me mad. Today i updated the BIOS to F5i version and voila - neither of bugs are present.

So if you got a Gigabyte P55 board with Radeon HD5xxx graphics card and you have any of these bugs, i suggest you upgrading to latest BIOS. It will probably solve all your problems with your graphics card.

Edit: Whoops, meant to be in AMD Flavor forum, mod please move if possible. Thanks.

yeah seems to be another to the list of P55 chipset issues, glad i stayed away from it for now.

Hmm I seem to remember all the tech sites wondering why someone would get a x58 over a p55. :rolleyes:

I flashed my BIOS from F3 to F4h pretty much as soon as I built my system, and I still get the giant cursor every now and then. I'm not saying it's not the P55 chipset, just that this didn't fix it for me.

I flashed my BIOS from F3 to F4h pretty much as soon as I built my system, and I still get the giant cursor every now and then. I'm not saying it's not the P55 chipset, just that this didn't fix it for me.

His bios version looks newer then the one you upgraded to. F5i sounds like a beta bios. Might want to look around and see whats out there for your board.

F5i for P55-UD5 is the latest non-beta BIOS, from end of october :

Download from ... F5i 2009/10/30
1. Enhance memory capability
2. Improve KMPlayer and GOM Player compatibility

And Mr.K6, your board have newer BIOS too - F4k instead of F4h:

Download from ... F4k 2009/10/30

1. Enhance memory capability
2. Improve KMPlayer and GOM Player compatibility

I think that "KMPlayer and GOM Player" stuff is what solved our problems.

have to say, the mega cursor is one truly bizarre bug.

I'm running a Phenom 9850 on a MSI K9A2 platinum and I too had the huge cursor, video flicker problem.

I tried 3 different drivers for my 5850 with no dice.

I flashed the bios to v1.8, and all the problems went away.

Very strange.

His bios version looks newer then the one you upgraded to. F5i sounds like a beta bios. Might want to look around and see whats out there for your board.
I checked the Gigabyte website and they released a newer version for my board as well (F4k). I'll flash it and report back; hopefully it solves the issue.

"big cursor" occured on Gigabyte P55 board, but not on my ASUS P55 at all. Same drivers et al. Wierd wild stuff.

That just confirms it's a BIOS issue and BIOS update solves it. I'm running 2nd day without any symptoms of any of the bugs, i even upgraded back to 9.10, so i'm satisfied :).

I ran a 1950 pro on this p55 gigabyte board for a month before my 5850 came in. Didn't have any sleep or big curser problems. After installing the 5850 card with 9.10 drivers I can't use sleep over night because of the problems it causes. I get the big curser probably once a day and a reboot fixes it but it is irritating. If it is the bios looks like it would have shown up using the 1950 pro.

Actually it's the whole HD5XXX series.

My wife has the problem on XP SP3 on an AMD790g based board with a HD5750.
Now I have it with my P55 board and an XFX HD5770.

We've been thru at least 5 driver revs on hers to no avail, and two on mine so far, 10.2 ain't fixed shizzy.
Not like I expected a fix during one driver cycle, but 4-5 cycles now??? Do they actually test these on a broad hardware base or no? It's hard to believe they do after this long, with so many people with such different hardware setups having this issue.

I finally updated mother board bios to F5 and haven't had any more problems.

Back