How Investigators Tracked Down a Cyber Pirate

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here is a story about how surprisingly little effort was needed to catch several software pirates…because they are all idiots. Step 1: Check Craigslist. Step 2: Agree to buy stolen merchandise. Step 3: Call the cops.

Activision Blizzard, the game’s publisher, called in IPCybercrime.com, a Dallas private investigation firm that specializes in online investigations. The investigators tracked down the seller and stumbled into a scheme to pirate the game and sell a bunch of fake copies over the Internet. While the bust led to the arrest of just one hacker among many, it sheds light on the shadowy underground of the business of illegal piracy. It also offers a peak at how investigators try to head off a major piracy disaster before it happens.

good for him I payed for my copy that I will get on the 10th. Hope he gets the max and bubba gets his cherry.

you hope a guy gets raped just because he tried to pirate some software?

that's pretty twisted.

that's pretty twisted.

Seriously though, in this day in age you get less charges for being an axe murderer then a software pirate, whats wrong with this picture?

that's pretty twisted.

Ya I have to agree thats child molestation and that not very good anywhere. A proponent that espouses that kind of thought must be a right wing, neo-conservitive, anti American religious fanatic.;)

When you are fabously rich and power laws are carter to you. Only pesant and the obediant get the full blunt of the law.

What you stole bread off with your head.

Title should have been "How Investigators Tracked Down a Mentally Challenged Man"

When you are fabously rich and power laws are carter to you. Only pesant and the obediant get the full blunt of the law.

Your command of the English language hurts my brain.

..hacker among many....

they are not HACKERS! my god man, get the terminology right!

This is a no brainer, you sell software you have now committed a felony, most criminals are stupid, why the jails are so full.

No sympathy from me. Possession is on thing, distribution for profit is another.

Your command of the English language hurts my brain.

When you are fabulously rich and powerful laws are catered to you. Only peasants and the obedient get the full blunt of the law.

Fixed it for your brain mines half alseep.

When you are fabulously rich and powerful laws are catered to you. Only peasants and the obedient get the full brunt of the law.

What? You stole bread? Off with your head!!!

Fixed up some more. :D

this is how you crack down on piracy...

going after the 80 year old grandmother isn't going to stop people from downloading...crack down on the distributors (no torrent sites) and you'll stop the flow...

know how many of these geniuses are doing this? i mean, if the investigation team didn't do this, he'd be able to keep going...

with that being said, if the distributors were cracked down on, and proper research and investigations were done....then the internet providers can step the fuck down with the throttling bs their talking about..

if i pay for a 15mbps connection, i'm not just going to be checking my email you idiots. if me using my connection is limiting your service...then don't offer services that can be detrimental....sheesh

/soapbox

heh, btw
tbear-omg.jpg

I hope our world never comes to a point where you can kill somebody in a DUI and get a lighter penalty than someone who steals movies.

Oh, wait...

Ya I have to agree thats child molestation and that not very good anywhere. A proponent that espouses that kind of thought must be a right wing, neo-conservitive, anti American religious fanatic.;)

Not that I agree with the whole "software pirate deserves anal-P0wnage" thing, but the guy is 18, so I'm not sure why the subject of child molestation got dragged into the conversation. :confused:
On a related topic:
I would have loved to hear the conversation between the guy and his dad, since that is who young Mr. De Amo stole the Xbox/game bundles from.

When you are fabulously rich and powerful laws are catered to you. Only peasants and the obedient get the full blunt of the law.

Blunt is an adjective. Your sentence is equivalent to saying "Only peasants and the obedient get the full shiny of the law."

Blunt is an adjective. Your sentence is equivalent to saying "Only peasants and the obedient get the full shiny of the law."

Blunt can also be a noun! Like "I smoked a blunt and then distributed pirated copies in a stupid manner."

When you are fabulously rich and powerful laws are catered to you. Only peasants and the obedient get the full brunt of the law.

What? You stole bread? Off with your head!!!

Fixed up some more. :D

Maybe he meant the object soon to be stabbing his posterior is blunt. So hes getting the full blunt of the law :D

Blunt can also be a noun! Like "I smoked a blunt and then distributed pirated copies in a stupid manner."

Not in the context he's using it, unless the government is whacking people over the head with 9ft joints.

Disgusting... absolutely disgusting...

I mean Activision-Blizzard? Just does not sound right and never will!

Disgusting... absolutely disgusting...

I mean Activision-Blizzard? Just does not sound right and never will!

I guess they merged you could call them "Actard" but I'd pronounce it "Ack Tard"
That might be a good name for them. I like both companies though. Not a WoW fan for the last 3 years though, just in the beginning. Liked almost everything they've put out for the overall fun I had with it though. And on WoW they seemed to give a shit what people thought compared to Sony with EQ.

Let's not get in to this discussion though. Please allow it to go back to pirates being penetrated by big men with blunt objects.

So will he be going to prison for 10 years for this or will he be fined for 100s of 1000s or both? I mean the charges for piracy if pretty big....

While I think piracy of any form is not right, it's when people download to sell instead of just for personal use that I am all for prosecuting the hell out of them.

When SPA and other organizations release the amount of revenue lost to piracy the numbers always seem quiet high. However, it is those who are reselling pirated software that really are taking money away from developers and should make up the numbers for what is lost.

Another day in the land of capitalism ( raping and pillaging ). Nothing to see here.

I'm sure that you guys never stole anything when you were a kid, right?

Meanwhile the US economy gets flushed down the toilet because politicians are a mirage and the printing of money was taken over by the Federal Reserve ( a corporation ) in 1913.

Another day in the land of capitalism ( raping and pillaging ). Nothing to see here.

I'm sure that you guys never stole anything when you were a kid, right?

Meanwhile the US economy gets flushed down the toilet because politicians are a mirage and the printing of money was taken over by the Federal Reserve ( a corporation ) in 1913.

Stealing is one thing, and it's not right.

Stealing someone else's IP and selling it off for a profit is much worse.

I don't care how much the game company is worth/makes nor care much about all the bad publicity about the game. It's wrong and anyone trying to justify it is wrong as well.

^^ lets not get into the "theft" debate, it is copyright infringement, i guess with intent to distribute?

^^ lets not get into the "theft" debate, it is copyright infringement, i guess with intent to distribute?

Actually, there was theft. Last I heard the game hadn't been publically released for sale yet. So he stole the original, then made copies of it. Then he proceeded to sell those copies. So you have theft, copyright infringement, and illegal sale. It is not "intent to distribute" he actually sold it to them. Finding someone with a lot of product is "intent". Actually selling the product is an illegal sale of said product. Although I am sure there is an actual legal term for it. He probably violated a number of other laws in the whole process too. It is crazy how many charges there are in various acts of crime.

Back