Sapphire HD 5770 problem!

joseardzm

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I wonder if you could help me determined if I should RMA my card,

I m running W7 on the system on my sig (phenom 2 x2 545 without unlocking)

The problem is that while web browsing and basic tasks some macroblocks appears for a sec, the screen freezes, then the system hangs, and w7 reboots the drivers and everything gets back to normal unless it auto reboots, last time w7 had a hard time booting after the failure.

Ive tried with the suggested drivers on amd site (since 9.10 dont support 5770) and 9.11beta, should I wait for 9.11 final release or RMA my card?

Last edited:
May you do a clean install?
It seems more like a 'leftover stuff' issue, rather than a RMA level problem.

could it be left overs of igp HD4200?? when i unnistalled the igp, I remove all drivers until I was at 640*480res lol, then on bios I disable completely the 4200, once on w7 I installed the drivers on amd site.

Wow, I had the same problem. My Sapphire 5770 did the exact same thing with 3 different drivers. I RMA'd it today, and got an XFX 5770. Already shipped, should be here by Thursday.:D

I would just RMA it and get another brand. The XFX card has free shipping, thats why i got it.

Probably a driver issue.

My Sapphire HD5770s are running good in xfire with 9.11 betas. I did a clean install.

Last edited:
I think i will do a clean install first, It only has happen me when im at 2D, no videos just web browsing and msn. It may has something to do with dirvers and the low clock speed that the card is when "idle" or doing basic stuff :S

Besides I think 9.11betas worked better, last night i installed a hotfix driver from sapphire , in CCC it says it is the 9.11 but the dirver version is 8.66.6-091006a-089804E, and after this it has failed me more times than with the 9.11betas from AMD site.

btw im running w7-64bits,

dadman, can you plz tell me when you get your 5770 if it worked and if you are using the same system.

I have these drivers.So far no probs...

Driver Packaging Version 8.67-091008a-090120E-ATI
Catalyst™ Version 09.11
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.973
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0002
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0708
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9115
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1008.2132.36836

I ve just installed those, again...

lets see if it gets better :S if not i would do a clean install :S

thanks for your support

dadman, can you plz tell me when you get your 5770 if it worked and if you are using the same system.

I'm using a Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H with an x3 720 ,and 4 gigs of ddr2 800 in windows7 64bit. I got the card about 2 weeks ago, and time was running out for the RMA, so I decided to send the card back for a refund, and get another card. You are the only other person I have read about with this problem, and everything else I've read about the 5770's has been good, so I don't believe it's a driver problem. Anyway, if I were you i would RMA
it while you still can and get a different card. Hope this helps. :)

Im thinking it is drivers :S this day it worked better with the 9.11betas than with 9.10, it only occurred once, while yesterday (9.10) occurred more than 5 times!

I also updated the bios (latest) to 0904 asus m4a785tdm-evo

actuallly it didnt helped :S

what I find weird is that after playing a video for a long time the frecuency gets locked at 400c 900mem!

even if i open anygame the frecuency remains 400c 900m, or even if im idle.

Last edited:
Well that sure is a weird problem. My card never had the frequency lock issue. I would still recommend RMA'ing the card just to be on the safe side. Newegg did not charge me a restocking fee because they said the card was defective.so I got a break there. If you got it from the egg, then I would call them and talk to someone about the issue. They are very friendly , and helpful. Hope this works out for you.

update so far...

when the card is lock at 400c and 900m it wont freeze or show artifacts!! 2 hours with the frequency locked at those speeds proofs it! and after that I reboot with normal frequencies (157 & 300) and in less than 10 minutes artifacts appeared and w7 reboot the driver. What do you think now? A new driver or maybe doing a clean install will solve it, imo.

look at the lame response of AMD forums

@ joseardzm

You have a under powered power supply so its not surprising you have crashes. 430W is too low. Its 450W minimum and more prefered.

Certified list:

http://ati.amd.com/online/certifiedpsu/index.html

-------------------------
Game.AMD Administrator

Last edited:
Back