Suggestions for iPod Nano replacement

BusyBeaverHP

Limp Gawd
Because my 2 GB iPod Nano went MIA, I'm shopping around for a cheap portable music player replacement (so in case I lose it too, it won't be such an expensive loss). What I'm looking for:

1. Music playback, no frills.
2. 2 GB+ capacity.
3. $50 or cheaper, doesn't have to be from Apple.

Suggestions?

Why not just get a prior generation iPod Nano on eBay? You should be able to get a decent deal.

I miss my black 8gb 2nd gen nano, that was a great little MP3 player.

I got one of these http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3402959&CatId=2476 for a family member who loses / breaks tech stuff a lot. It certainly isn't the quality of an iPod at all, however it works just fine for playing music and 4gigs for $40 isn't bad. They have had no problems with it. Also has a decent FM tuner with record and voice record.

That said, if you really liked you Ipod I would just try to pick up a used or refirb nano. Will probably cost you more like $70-$80 though.

Sansa Clip
Been eying those. On 7th nano RMA, about to run out of warranty. First and last apple product. Next time it dies, that's what I'm looking at, the Sansa, they keep coming across woot really cheap.

The problem is you're using it with iTunes on a Mac is that nothing else will give you the flexibility of loading, playlisting or playcounts. If you don't mind losing that, the Sansas look like good bets.

On 7th nano RMA, about to run out of warranty. First and last apple product. Next time it dies

What in the world do you do to your MP3 players?!? :p I still have my first iPod. A 2004 40gig iPod photo. Still works great except the battery holds a charge of about ... 7-8 minutes now heh. Finally broke down and bought a 64gig touch because of that. Expensive, yeah, but If it lasts 5 years like my iPod photo I will consider it worth every penny.

Anyway you might also want to look at the one I linked. I bought it for a family member who kept trashing or losing iPods (though still nowhere near the rate you seem to be managing :p) and it worked well for them.

What in the world do you do to your MP3 players?!? :p I still have my first iPod. A 2004 40gig iPod photo. Still works great except the battery holds a charge of about ... 7-8 minutes now heh. Finally broke down and bought a 64gig touch because of that. Expensive, yeah, but If it lasts 5 years like my iPod photo I will consider it worth every penny.

Anyway you might also want to look at the one I linked. I bought it for a family member who kept trashing or losing iPods (though still nowhere near the rate you seem to be managing :p) and it worked well for them.
I run with it and log my miles with the Nike+ kit, using one of the armbands. I'm pretty sure it's the sweat that kills them. Last two times, guy at the apple store said they aren't design for that use, the whole armband-running thing. *shrug*

In these cooler months they last for weeks - months. Back in the summer, a couple of them only lasted 2 runs. I run 40+miles/wk, sometimes it's nice to help pass the time or keep a tempo for some runs when motivation is slacking.

Back