New High-End Gaming System

[X]eltic

Limp Gawd
I've gone all-out; printer, gamepad, monitor, speakers, etc. I have focused on building a powerful, yet quiet, gaming system that's also good for general use. I've done my research, but I'd still like to have some input on my new system to be sure.

Code:
Enclosure ---------- : SilverStone Temjin Series TJ04B
Power Supply ------- : Seasonic X Series SS-750KM
Processor ---------- : Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz D0
Memory ------------- : Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 7-7-7-20 6GB
Videocard ---------- : Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X 1GB
Soundcard ---------- : Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Networkcard -------- : Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
Motherboard -------- : Asus P6X58D Premium
Primary Harddisk --- : Intel X25-M Postville 160GB
Secondary Harddisk - : Western Digital RE4-GP 2TB
External Harddisk -- : Western Digital Elements Portable 500GB
HD Writer ---------- : Pioneer BDR-205
CPU Heatsink ------- : Prolimatech Megahalems
Harddisk Heatsink -- : Zalman ZM-2HC2
CPU Fan 120mm ------ : Noctua NF-P12
Case Fan 140mm ----- : Noctua NF-P14 FLX
Case Fan 120mm x2 -- : Noctua NF-P12
Monitor ------------ : LG W2600HP-BF 26"
Keyboard ----------- : Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Mouse -------------- : Logitech G5 Laser Mouse (Rev. 2)
Speakers ----------- : Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Headphone ---------- : Sennheiser HD 448
Gamepad ------------ : Logitech Dual Action
Printer ------------ : Canon Pixma MP990
Operating System --- : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Around € 3000. Expensive, but I only buy a completely new system every 3-4 years. And this time, I am going to buy not only a computer, but a monitor, speakers, printer, etc as well, so that adds up quickly.

The Dominator RAM is not worth the extra price. In fact, you would notice an iota of difference between that Dominator set and a similar set with CAS 9 timings. We're talking a difference of, at most, .005% between that Dominator set and this G.Skill set:
$150 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

So I recommend just saving your money and just get a cheaper set of 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM. Just make sure that its RAM voltage is 1.65V and BELOW and you'll be set. As mentioned above, timings do not matter. Nor does higher speed RAM provide any performance improvement at all.

GPU wise, I'd go for a XFX made HD 5870 due to XFX having a lifetime warranty and some of the best customer support in the world.

Don't have any other major issue with that build.

The Dominator RAM is not worth the extra price. In fact, you would notice an iota of difference between that Dominator set and a similar set with CAS 9 timings. We're talking a difference of, at most, .005% between that Dominator set and this G.Skill set:
$150 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

So I recommend just saving your money and just get a cheaper set of 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM. Just make sure that its RAM voltage is 1.65V and BELOW and you'll be set. As mentioned above, timings do not matter. Nor does higher speed RAM provide any performance improvement at all.
Yeah, you are right. The reason I wanted to go for Dominator GT is because I like the heatsinks and because they'd supposedly do better at overlocking. But certainly, if I can find something that costs less I will go for that.

GPU wise, I'd go for a XFX made HD 5870 due to XFX having a lifetime warranty and some of the best customer support in the world.
Normally I would have gone with any brand, but the Sapphire card has a nice Vapor-X cooler that is even quieter than the stock one and performs better as well. It's also very slightly overclocked and it is roughly the same price as the other HD 5870 cards.

Don't have any other major issue with that build.
Any minor issues perhaps? :)

Personally, I am not entirely sure about the motherboard yet, but I guess it's a safe choice. There are no reviews yet, but it's the latest X58 board and it has SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0. And I'm also not entirely sure about the Pioneer BDR-205. It's pretty expensive compared to a DVD-writer, but I'd really like to watch some Blu-rays on my system.

Meh. It's up to you if improved and quieter cooling and zero actual gaming performance improvement (GPU overclocks rarely provide an actual noteworthy performance increase) is worth the piss-poor customer support and short warranty offered by Sapphire.

Minor issues:
- Unless you plan on using that PC as file server as well, that Intel NIC isn't worth paying for. That Intel NIC won't improve online gaming performance at all.

- If I was gonna spend that much on a PC, I would do something that would make it stand out a bit more. To that end, I would personally pick up the Corsari H50 watercooling kit than the Prolimatech Megahalems. While the Megahlems do cool better than the Corsair H50, the Corsair H50 is more desireable to use since it allows you to say, "I have a watercooled PC." :D. Oh and the H50 is pretty quiet as well.

- I highly highly doubt that you'll use all of the features of Windows 7 Ultimate. More than likely Windows 7 Home Premium would be enough for you.

- Dude, if you're not planning on burning Blu-Ray DVDs, which are pretty expensive to begin with, just drop to the cheapest Blu-ray drive you can find.

- Those speakers really don't look like a good choice. I recommend scrounging through these threads for better speaker recommendations:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1469332
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1472218
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462177

- PSU wise, I'm 100% certain that you can find equally quiet PSUs whose efficiency isn't that much worse than the Seasonic X Series.

Back