A new NEC professional IPS? PA series

NEC PA series replaces the 90 series professional displays.

• p-IPS
  • 10bit panel with 14 bit "3D LUT". Promises over a billion colors
  • DisplayPort with 10bit output
  • sRGB, aRGB capable.
  • 16:10 and 16:9
  • Picture in Picture
  • Slimmer frame / Smaller packaging.
  • Green

The PA Series consists of:

PA231W a 23inch (1920x1080) 16:9 display with e-IPS technology
PA241W a 24inch (1920x1200) 16:10 display with p-IPS technology
PA271W a 27inch (2560x1440) 16:9 display with p-IPS tehcnology
PA301W a 30inch (2560x1600) 16:10 display with p-IPS technology

NEC US product pages:
PA231W
PA241W
PA271W
PA301W

Reviews:
PA231W
tftcentral.co.uk

PA241W
tftcentral.co.uk
flatpanelshd.com
bit-tech.net
pcmag.com

PA271W
tftcentral.co.uk

PA301W
anandtech.com

Last edited:
The 90/PA series doesn't seem to be 16:9 (thank god), at least it didn't mention so in the PDF (or maybe I missed it?).

The 3D LUT really does sound tempting.

The 90/PA series doesn't seem to be 16:9 (thank god), at least it didn't mention so in the PDF (or maybe I missed it?).

Both it looks like. From the PDF:

The PA Series consists of:
-
PA231W a 23inch (1920x1080) 16:9 display with IPS technology
-
PA241W a 24inch (1920x1200) 16:10 display with IPS technology
-
PA271W a 27inch (2560x1440)16:9display with IPS tehcnology
-
PA301W a 30inch (2560x1600) 16:10 display with IPS technology

Also, just checked Energy Star. The 24 inch is registered there. The article stated early 2010 and if it is already on Energy Star it is probably not too far off.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...d_name&startnum=1&letter=ALL&pat_P285=21,1000

The only feature missing from a near perfect feature set is: LED Backlighting

I would be interested in the larger displays >27" but I am sure these displays are going to be at or above >2K!

The only feature missing from a near perfect feature set is: LED Backlighting

Yeah. I was a bit disappointed to see the series listed as using CCFL still. :( It seems to be the same system that the current 90 series uses.

So are these standard or wide gamut, or both? I wasn't able to tell from the .pdf

However, i'm really excited to see these come out, especially the PA241W - and what the pricing of it and the 2490 are going to be. I've been having a hard time picking out an ideal high-end monitor, maybe this series is the answer.

Also, how big of a difference does LED backlighting actually make?

So are these standard or wide gamut, or both? I wasn't able to tell from the .pdf

Also, how big of a difference does LED backlighting actually make?

Most likely they will all be wide-gamut, but with a sRGB mode (and potentially/hopefully a usable/good sRGB mode, given the target audience of the PA series at least I put some faith in their marketing of the 3D LUT).

The biggest difference with LED backlight as of today seems to be more power consumption and perhaps size than anything else.

The biggest difference with LED backlight as of today seems to be more power consumption and perhaps size than anything else.

That and sometimes you'll see them achieve deeper blacks as the LEDs can turn off in some sets.

I'm surprised you were able to get this PDF..
An eye opener!
Frst, I never thought Sun Microsystems would be the third biggest brand on monitor sales for CAD CAM..more than Samsung LGE, Eizo, Nec, IBM.
Actually what monitors do they sell?

Moreover I'm appalled how this internal PDF seeped out!

It is funny how some of the data is put down in Powerpoint style. with images from Pirelli etc
Promotional guidelines and such...
My favorite:
"finding a SV customer (and what to say) :
“Is there a marketing department or other colour-critical
function
within the company?”

Not OLED yet but getting better. The longer I wait the more technologies like this come out.

Glad I passed on the EA231WMI. I keep waiting and waiting. This monitor seems even better but is it good enough and at what price point will it come in at?

I am still waiting further. I like hearing about the next generation models though.

Most likely they will all be wide-gamut, but with a sRGB mode (and potentially/hopefully a usable/good sRGB mode, given the target audience of the PA series at least I put some faith in their marketing of the 3D LUT).

The pdf mentions emulation so that would be my guess as well.

What I did find interesting is that each input is supposed to have its own LUT. Which I think means that it will be able to run two different settings if you used the Picture in Picture function. So you might be able to view how something would look in sRGB and wide gamut at the same time.

Both it looks like. From the PDF:

Also, just checked Energy Star. The 24 inch is registered there. The article stated early 2010 and if it is already on Energy Star it is probably not too far off.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...d_name&startnum=1&letter=ALL&pat_P285=21,1000

So NEC will have a 27" inch monitor that resembles the 27" iMac in terms of resolution. I am curious on how much NEC will charge for it since most of their products are expensive already.

Plus looks like from the PDF that it's going to be their second to the top of the line model which goes up to a 30-inch monitor. Cross fingers that the 27-inch will cost between $1200 to $1400 or less.

So NEC will have a 27" inch monitor that resembles the 27" iMac in terms of resolution. I am curious on how much NEC will charge for it since most of their products are expensive already.

Plus looks like from the PDF that it's going to be their second to the top of the line model which goes up to a 30-inch monitor. Cross fingers that the 27-inch will cost between $1200 to $1400 or less.

Doubtful. I bet it cost more than the 27" iMac from "overpriced" Apple that everyone always whines about.

Pin your hopes on a cheap 27" with this screen from Dell. That would probably be under $1200.

i'd say anywhere around 1500, or about 200-300 cheaper than th 30'er.

Hmm, the 23" and 24" seem interesting to me. I wonder how much better they would be compared to the EA231WMi. Probably around $700-$800 msrp, huh?

That and sometimes you'll see them achieve deeper blacks as the LEDs can turn off in some sets.

That is very rare, only in some high end TVs, and introduces other problems as well. LED is bieng used as an energy and space saving feature right now, and that is all.

Hmm, the 23" and 24" seem interesting to me. I wonder how much better they would be compared to the EA231WMi. Probably around $700-$800 msrp, huh?

I'm not really interested in a 16:9, but I am still very curious about this as well. The EA231WMi is still pretty new. I'd like to see how current generation E-IPS compares to the panel that will be in the PA series.

As for price... Probably. Perhaps even more. I think the 2490WUXi2 was about $1000 when it was released.

I'm not really interested in a 16:9, but I am still very curious about this as well. The EA231WMi is still pretty new. I'd like to see how current generation E-IPS compares to the panel that will be in the PA series.

It could just be the same basic panel revised with Multisync hardware features.

Local dimming LED is not available on any computer monitor - it is a TV-exclusive technology for now. Local dimming allows the panel to turn off (or dim) the LEDs in areas of the screen that are dark, thereby improving the static contrast of the monitor.

All it does for now (as far as black levels go) is allow the manufacturers to list ridiculously inflated dynamic contrast numbers, when static contrast is still well under < 1000:1. Where LED is useful now is in making monitors with wider gamuts (not a good thing unless you are a graphics professional) and lowering energy consumption.

2 minutes with dynamic contrast on a computer monitor (without local dimming) will make you reach for the settings. For now, LEDs do not improve contrast or black levels on computer monitors, although I do hope that local dimming will arrive someday.

No mention of the A-TW polarizer / Xtraview+ making a return.

There is a mention of a 1080p 27" EA model, I guess that must be the Samsung 27" TN panel unless there is a 27" IPS panel at this resolution as well now?

There is a mention of a 1080p 27" EA model, I guess that must be the Samsung 27" TN panel unless there is a 27" IPS panel at this resolution as well now?
If it's Samsung, I'd say it's the 27'' PVA.

It clearly says that all the new professonal NEC PA series are IPS panels.

The PA series comes in four models from 23 to 30 inches, all featuring the IPS technology:
# 23-inch PA231W: 16:9 display with 1920x1080 resolution
# 24-inch PA241W: 16:10 display with 1920x1200 resolution
# 27-inch PA271W: 16:9 display with 2560x1440 resolution
# 30-inch PA301W: 16:10 display with 2560x1600 resolution

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1260108113

I am thinking the pricing is going to be high though, at least the price of the Dell Ultrasync series plus probably 10% for the NEC name and rep. considering that the incomparable NEC 2490wuxi retails for over $1000 in the states... Pricing is going to really determine whether these are feasible for the average consumer. But professional series moniker seems to be targeted at professonal audience and thus expect professional level prices. I hope they are cheaper, but who knows. I'd really love to have 3 x of the 27inchers but I have a feeling I'd have to be saving up a lot of money to afford those.

I will add one thing, the slimmer looking bezels on the professional series look like they would be even better for Eyefinity than the EA231wmi or even the U2410.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's both a 1920x1200 and a 1920x1080 PVA. The TN panels are more ubiquitous, though, as you might expect.

Im sooo confused...are you saying there is going to be a 27 inch 1920 x 1080 thats not TN, because the article does say TN panel.

There is a 27" IPS panel at the same 2560x1440 resolution, and its currently only available in the 27" iMac I got two days ago. I assume this is the same one going into the new NEC since the 24" iMac and the NEC 2490WUXi also shared the same panel.

Absolutely glorious display, now I'm looking at my 2490WUXi like its the redheaded stepchild. :(

Last edited:

Yup, I'm pretty sure its not in there. Keeping that in mind, it will likely keep prices down compared to the series that the 2490WUXi is in, much like what happened with the EA series.

We'll see, I really can't wait to see how well the 27" and 30" models review.

Last edited:
Doubtful. I bet it cost more than the 27" iMac from "overpriced" Apple that everyone always whines about.

Pin your hopes on a cheap 27" with this screen from Dell. That would probably be under $1200.

So Apple has 1 product that's actually a good deal for your money... and that excuses everything else? :rolleyes:

My 30" Dell was uh... $900 with 3 yr warranty? Bigger screen, more pixels, better warranty... some people got them for $750... yea if you paid full retail when it was released it was a bit more, but the Apple 30" display was also more for the same panel essentially.

That's also a good point... every high-end monitor I've seen comes with 3yr warrantys, yet the iMac is still 1 yr... And if your display dies, you're sending in your entire computer... not just a display which can be swapped out if needed. And it's just as likely to die as the one with a 3yr warranty, but if it dies early you're shit out of luck.

That "great" deal seems less and less appealing.. meh...

I wanna see higher resolutions!.. or smaller screens with high resolutions... 24" with 2560 x 1600 would be nice, 27" is alright, but with less resolution it'd feel like a downgrade from 30" ...

There is a 27" IPS panel at the same 2560x1440 resolution, and its currently only available in the 27" iMac I got two days ago.
I know about the high res 27" panel, that should be in the PA series 27" model. However I noted the EA model mentioned in the presentation as the already available 23" is an OK monitor for gaming, a 27" version (with improved uniformity) would be better.

Last edited:
So Apple has 1 product that's actually a good deal for your money... and that excuses everything else? :rolleyes:

Most current apple product is very competetive. But if you just looking to whine you can no doubt find a reason.

I also had a 30" dell. But I kept it for about a week because that monitor is a piece of crap, I paid 1299 $CDN on sale. Anyone paying $750 was probably a refurb (like my castoff junk I sent back). On Dell Canadas site right now it is listed again at $1599.

I replaced it with a NEC 2490 for a similar price. But for less than my NEC 2490 IPS screen, apple offers a 24 inch IPS screen with LED backlighting. Most consider that very reasonable in this market space as well. I would say try comparing a iMac to the competition, but if you are honest you would have to admit none of the competition is built nearly as well. You won't find IPS screens in an all-in-one from dell. Apple also has sharper designs, better attention to detail. A quality product for a reasonable price.

Note I have never owned an Apple product. I just respect solid design and am not threatened by it like so many little troll boys on [H], an attitude that is unfortunately fostered by [H] staff.

Most current apple product is very competetive. But if you just looking to whine you can no doubt find a reason.

I also had a 30" dell. But I kept it for about a week because that monitor is a piece of crap, I paid 1299 $CDN on sale. Anyone paying $750 was probably a refurb (like my castoff junk I sent back). On Dell Canadas site right now it is listed again at $1599.

I replaced it with a NEC 2490 for a similar price. But for less than my NEC 2490 IPS screen, apple offers a 24 inch IPS screen with LED backlighting. Most consider that very reasonable in this market space as well. I would say try comparing a iMac to the competition, but if you are honest you would have to admit none of the competition is built nearly as well. You won't find IPS screens in an all-in-one from dell. Apple also has sharper designs, better attention to detail. A quality product for a reasonable price.

Note I have never owned an Apple product. I just respect solid design and am not threatened by it like so many little troll boys on [H], an attitude that is unfortunately fostered by [H] staff.

Wow, a non-fanboy non-Apple user posting on a hardware forum, how rare is this?

I know about the high res 27" panel, that should be in the PA series 27" model. However I noted the EA model mentioned in the presentation as the already available 23" is an OK monitor for gaming, a 27" version (with improved uniformity) would be better.

I see. Yeah, I keep getting mixed up with the naming being so close to each other. I get it now, you think the EA 27" will be a lower 1920x1080 resolution than the PA version and are just unsure if it will use an IPS or TN panel. I dunno, does NEC use TN panels? I'm pretty sure that even the EA series 23" display is an IPS.

Considering the panels all come from relatively the same place, calling it "solid design" is pointless. Apple doesn't manufacture any of the components inside those machines, it's all done by other companies. Generic brands like Hynix for memory, Seagate for HDD's, whoever (NEC?) for displays, Foxconn for motherboards etc. etc. The same companies providing products for Dell, Sony, etc. a Seagate HDD is not going to magically work better in an Apple system than a PC... nor is the NEC display going to be any different. That was the point I was trying to make. People were trying to justify the iMac as a "good deal" because it comes with a decent display, but there are still a lot of problems associated with that. Some people even bought the iMac just for the display which is idiotic in my opinion.

It's still a 1yr warranty vs. 3yr, (Next day service, so if my 3007WFP DOES break, they send me a new one overnight, then I put my old one in the box and it goes back to them).

And refurb simply meant the stand/bezel might be scuffed, but the screen itself should be perfect, I found that to be true...so far functionally it's perfect and has been for a year now. Yea the scuffs on the back of the bezel/sides that I never look at don't bug me, nor the refurb sticker on the bottom. Cause it's still a 30" display for $900...

Not to mention glossy screens which are the worst possible thing to ever become popular with displays next to TN panels. Apple seems to love them though... I'm glad high-end displays aren't moving to glossy screens (atleast I haven't seen any). I'm pissed laptop makers are though, they don't even give you the option for a matte screen.

Back