New Intel ssd firmware released - 02HD

Looks like it just came out. Anyone know if (destroying most drives aside) there are any changes from 02HA?

Either way, I won't be flashing for at least a week, I learned that lesson.

Looks like it just came out. Anyone know if (destroying most drives aside) there are any changes from 02HA?

Either way, I won't be flashing for at least a week, I learned that lesson.

Haha! Yeah. Who wants to be a guinea pig?

Going to try this now. I'll report back with the results shortly.

Just updated mine. The whole process went as smooth as any firmware update I've ever done. I'm back into WinXP x64 now, and getting ready to run some benchmarks to compare to the previous version, then again after running the Optimizer from the Toolbox.

Let me tell you about my update experience:

1st try: "Drive could not be updated. Try setting the drive to legacy mode blah blah"
2nd try: (Disabled AHCI) "Cannot detect drive"
3rd try: (Disabled AHCI - Disabled Native mode) "Cannot detect drive"
4th try: (Enabled AHCI - Disabled Native mode) "Drive has already been upgraded to the newest firmware"

I booted into Windows and it detected a hardware change. Checked the firmware and it's now 02HA.

I did some pre-firmware speed tests and am getting ready to run some post-firmware tests. Does anyone have a link to the Toolbox?

My update was a flawless victory.

Numbers look the same as before (80 GB G2), although I believe the 160 GB drives are supposed to see the most appreciable speed increase:

g2firm.jpg

Last edited:
My update was a flawless victory.

Hoping this is par for the course, or Intel will NEVER live this down. Well, never in computer years, but still...talk about some unhappy campers if Intel didn't get their shti together this time.

would it behoove me to upgrade? any way i can do it without using cd rom (preferably i'd like to do it within windows)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(4) INTEL SSDSA2MH080G1GC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model : INTEL SSDSA2MH080G1GC
Firmware : 045C8610
Serial Number : Censored
Total Disk Size : 80.0 GB (8.4/80.0/80.0)
Buffer Size : Unknown
NV Cache Size : ----
Number of Sectors : 156301488
Rotation Rate : ---- (SSD)
Interface : Serial ATA
Major Version : ATA/ATAPI-7
Minor Version : ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D version 1
Transfer Mode : SATA/300
Power On Hours : 4497 hours
Power On Count : 84 count
Temparature : Unknown
Health Status : Good
Features : S.M.A.R.T., 48bit LBA, NCQ
APM Level : ----
AAM Level : ----

-- S.M.A.R.T. --------------------------------------------------------------
ID Cur Wor Thr Raw Values Attribute Name
03 100 __0 __0 000000000000 Spin-Up Time
04 100 __0 __0 000000000000 Start/Stop Count
05 __1 __1 __0 000000000000 Reallocated Sectors Count
09 100 100 __0 000000001191 Power-On Hours
0C 100 100 __0 000000000054 Device Power Cycle Count
C0 100 100 __0 000000000043 Power-off Retract Count
E8 _99 _99 _10 000000000000 Unknown
E9 _96 _96 __0 000000000000 Unknown

80Gig G2 drive, win 7 x64, looks good flashed in ACHI mode.

Did some benchmarks, read speed about 2MB/s slower, write speeds I believe around 10MB/s faster.

Last edited:
As I understand it the people that had problems with the last firmware were win7 x64 users right? Any more win7 x64 people update to 02HD?

Last edited:
i have a X25-M G1 160gb can i update my firmware to this one? it looks like I can from the website, but I am unsure

Success. Didn't bother to switch out of AHCI mode this time. 7 had to reboot once after "detecting new hardware" but it's been smooth since. I had planned to do a reinstall tonight anyway so this works perfectly.

This certainly went better than my total bricking last time.

My updated benchmarks are at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034988416#post1034988416. Like others, my numbers seem to be pretty much the same, within the margin of error for a test like this I'd say.

As for detail on what I did, I simply burned the ISO, rebooted off my BartPE CD to back up the stuff on the SSD, rebooted off the firmware update CD, said yes a couple times, then rebooted off the CD again to verify that it had taken the update. I use AHCI mode on my Classified 759 (X58/ICH10R), and didn't change it for the update. After rebooting into Windows, it did detect the SSD as a new device and wanted to reboot, though the volumes all seemed to work just fine before rebooting.

would it behoove me to upgrade? any way i can do it without using cd rom (preferably i'd like to do it within windows)

I'm not sure exactly what this does for the G1 drives. You can't update it within Windows, but you should be able to do it via bootable flash drive if your PC supports that.

1. Install BootDisk2BootStick.
  2. Install 7-Zip.
  3. Download the firmware update .iso file.
  4. Right-click on the .iso file and choose 7-Zip > Open Archive. Alternatively, open the 7-Zip File Manager and browse to the .iso file to open it.
  5. Open the "[BOOT]" folder. Drag the "Bootable_1.44M.img" out to the desired location to extract the file.
  6. Use BootDisk2BootStick to image the USB drive with the extracted "Bootable_1.44M.img". You may need to change the "Files of type" dropdown box in order to see the .img file.
  7. Boot from your BootStick.

This is the method I use for flashing my BIOS via flash drive using EVGA's provided CD image. http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/fb.asp?m=100721497

So all I need to do is burn the iso and boot from cd to update? Also once updated, how do you get the trim command to work on its own in windows 7? Do I need the toolbox?thanks

So all I need to do is burn the iso and boot from cd to update? Also once updated, how do you get the trim command to work on its own in windows 7? Do I need the toolbox?thanks

Yes.
Use the default MS storage drivers and delete stuff.
No, as long as you're using the default MS storage drivers. However, the toolbox does have other utilities included as well.

So basically you are saying I don't have to do anything for trim to work? When does windows run the trim function?

It runs it all the time, every time something is deleted it tells the drive it deleted it with trim.

What I don't think it will do is go through and update the drive after you do the flash, that's why you want to use the toolbox to run a whole drive update after flashing.

It runs it all the time, every time something is deleted it tells the drive it deleted it with trim.

What I don't think it will do is go through and update the drive after you do the flash, that's why you want to use the toolbox to run a whole drive update after flashing.

That's my understanding as well. You could also just create a really big file to (mostly) fill up the drive, then delete it. The act of deleting it would invoke the TRIM functions and clean out those blocks.

Let me tell you about my update experience:

1st try: "Drive could not be updated. Try setting the drive to legacy mode blah blah"
2nd try: (Disabled AHCI) "Cannot detect drive"
3rd try: (Disabled AHCI - Disabled Native mode) "Cannot detect drive"
4th try: (Enabled AHCI - Disabled Native mode) "Drive has already been upgraded to the newest firmware"

I booted into Windows and it detected a hardware change. Checked the firmware and it's now 02HA.

I did some pre-firmware speed tests and am getting ready to run some post-firmware tests. Does anyone have a link to the Toolbox?
Same thing. I booted to the ISO, and it said it wouldn't update the firmware and to boot up in legacy IDE mode (was using ahci). Rebooted in IDE mode, and then when it came to updating the firmware, it said the firmware was already updated. Not sure if I believe it because it never went through an update process.

Last edited:
My 80gb g2 updated perfectly well as well. I burned the iso, rebooted with the newly minted cd and let the program do its magic.

Here are my benchmarks, in case anyone in interested. The SSD Optimizer now works with the drive as well.
--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 261.751 MB/s
Sequential Write : 91.833 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 198.667 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 91.616 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 22.858 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 70.330 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
Date : 2009/12/02 1:51:31

Ok, update doesn't brick drives... so far :) Now we need the Toolbox which doesn't kill restore points :)

Same thing. I booted to the ISO, and it said it wouldn't update the firmware and to boot up in legacy IDE mode (was using ahci). Rebooted in IDE mode, and then when it came to updating the firmware, it said the firmware was already updated. Not sure if I believe it because it never went through an update process.

Same thing with me. Exactly the same thing. So now I am not sure if it really updated or not. My drive works normally, but I am not sure if TRIM works or if I am really getting any better performance. My reads are around 225 AVG, and writes are 105 AVG.

So here are some basic installation questions...

I have a new G2 drive with nothing installed on it. I plan to install Windows 7 x64.

Should I first install Windows 7 then do the Intel firmware update? -or-

Should I install the firmware update first, then install Windows 7?

For people burning the ISO to a CD, is this the only way to update the firmware, or can this be done in the Windows environment?

I'd install the firmware first. You cannot update the firmware from within Windows. The firmware must be made into a bootable CD (or more complicated make a USB stick bootable).

G1 drives I believe can be updated as well but will not get trim support.

anyone know, if I've already installed the intel storage drivers, is there a way to uninstall them without formatting and reinstalling windows?

no I don't have a restore point unfortunately.

Is it safe to update the firmware on two raided x25-m's? Will it break the raid? I know I will not have TRIM support.

How do I know if TRIM is working? Anyone know if AMD's AHCI drivers pass the TRIM command?

Can't seem to find a download for the SSD Optimizer program... installed the firmware no problem though.

My update went well. In AHCI mode this time.

Reinstalled windows 7 letting windows create partition. Rebooted about 9 times (christ, so many drivers and changes needed.)

I've since powered off and on as well (this was the kicker for bricking the drive)

So far so good. Not long enough to be sure though.

Flashed my X25-M 80GB without a hitch in AHCI mode. So far, it's working great after a few reboots so they did it right ;)

Worked fine for me, Win 7 64, ACHI mode. My only question is if TRIM is enabled automatically or if I'm supposed to do something.

So if TRIM in windows 7 works automatically... what happens if I erase the file, don't write new data on the SSD, but empty the Recycle bin and decide I want to recover the file via some recovery software?
Is the file gone for good, or can it still be recovered like on a mechanical drive? :I

G1 drives I believe can be updated as well but will not get trim support.

According to the Intel page, the G1 firmware included on the .ISO is 8820, which I believe was released quite a while ago (maybe even before the G2's came out). In other words, there's nothing new here for the G1, they just consolidated the installer.

Back