New i5 build, stock cooler @ 100% with high temps...

BradF1979

Limp Gawd
I just built my i5 system tonight, I have the stock fan running at 100% all the time. My idle temps using RealTemp are 40-44 without ANY overclock... Under IntelBurnTest, it got up to 81 before I killed it (as it exceed the 78 max recommended by Intel)... under Orthos (Prime 95) it tops out around 70-72...

I have a CM Hyper 212 Plus on the way and don't plan on overclocking until then, but don't these temperatures seem high for a non-overclock on a stock fan running at 100% constantly...

This is bios defaults as well with C1E, C-STATES, etc.. enabled.

Motherboard is GA-P55-UD4P... Ambient room temperate, not sure... the room is around 23, but my CPU is inside an armoire (that remains opened but is solid wood on 2 sides, vented on back). It's probably at least 25-30 where the case is... Case side panel is off (always is).

I would suggesting checking your mounting. The stock cooler on the i5 750 is an absolute POS, but those temps are still high for stock.

I would suggesting checking your mounting. The stock cooler on the i5 750 is an absolute POS, but those temps are still high for stock.

I have a slight feeling this could be the issue... firstly because when I was handling the stock fan, I wasn't paying attention and got my finger on the thermal grease pre-applied to it. This caused maybe 1/4 to 1/5 of it to be smudged and to come off on my finger. That said, it seemed really easy to install, but I checked the underside of the motherboard and the push pins were all the way thru and the fan seemed tight to the processor as well...

I have a slight feeling this could be the issue... firstly because when I was handling the stock fan, I wasn't paying attention and got my finger on the thermal grease pre-applied to it. This caused maybe 1/4 to 1/5 of it to be smudged and to come off on my finger. That said, it seemed really easy to install, but I checked the underside of the motherboard and the push pins were all the way thru and the fan seemed tight to the processor as well...
You can try the very scientific touch test for the heck of it - if your heatsink is warm to very hot to the touch while you're loading at temps in the 100C, the heat is being transferred and it's just reaching its thermal capacity. But I completely forgot to mention, the other thing to check is your Vcore. If I remember correctly, the VID on i5 750's is insanely high. I never actually found out my VID (didn't list it on the box, which was weird), but IIRC it first booted at 1.26V, which is ridiculous and largely unnecessary for stock speeds. I ran my 750 on the stock cooler for a couple of weeks while I waited for my Noctua NH-U9B socket 1156 mounting kit. I actually had turned off Turbo mode to decrease variability and increase stability, which allowed me to run only 1.0V Vcore completely stock. This significantly reduces the power required by the processor (by ~40% using a rough calculation), and kept temps much lower. You might want to try this approach as well while you wait for your new cooler.

Someone posted this to me over at Toms. I think I'll try the touch test tonight and if it isn't that warm, make sure I have this stock heatsink all the way mounted.

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm
Interesting. The HSF my i5 750 came with is actually half that height, but the push-pins and mounting were perfect. I usually try to install the heatsink before mounting the motherboard if it's the push-pin style to ensure the pins are all the way through, so that's something else you could try.

Interesting. The HSF my i5 750 came with is actually half that height, but the push-pins and mounting were perfect. I usually try to install the heatsink before mounting the motherboard if it's the push-pin style to ensure the pins are all the way through, so that's something else you could try.

Yea, I mounted the memory and CPU/fan outside the case. I looked on the back and it looked like the push pins where all the way thru, but this seems to show some sort of locking mechanism that doesn't always get locked down...

I think I found the problem. It was the 'auto' voltage setting on the GA-P55-UD4P motherboard. I went into the bios, set everything to 'Normal' instead of 'Auto', clocked my memory correctly, then overclocked the CPU to 3.2. Everything is fine and I'm running at 40C idle, and 70C load. Hopefully I can get to 3.8 when my Hyper 212 + gets here.

What voltage should I look to run at 3.8? It's nice to run stock volts at 3.2.

I think I found the problem. It was the 'auto' voltage setting on the GA-P55-UD4P motherboard. I went into the bios, set everything to 'Normal' instead of 'Auto', clocked my memory correctly, then overclocked the CPU to 3.2. Everything is fine and I'm running at 40C idle, and 70C load. Hopefully I can get to 3.8 when my Hyper 212 + gets here.

It seems stock voltage is pretty high on these chips, probably due to turbo mode; I wouldn't be surprised if you could run 3.2 at much less than stock voltage (I could). I'm running rock solid at 4GHz using 1.35V. Every chip will be different, but for 3.8GHz I'd suggest looking in the 1.3-1.35V range. Since you'll have a much better cooler than I do, you might be able to get away with slightly lower (comparatively) voltage.

Just wanted to thank you for this... I couldn't figure out why my stock 750 was hitting high 70's in prime95 on my UD4P. Changed CPU voltage from Auto to Normal and I'm down to 40C idle and around 60C under load. :)

Back